My First Blitz Game

Community Forums/Showcase/My First Blitz Game

JeffS(Posted 2003) [#1]
Greetings to all you Blitzers!

I started dabbling with Blitz Basic back in November 2001. The fact that I was able to whip up this game in a matter of hours using the Blitz demo version was sufficient proof that I *needed* Blitz. Santa Claus brought the software that Christmas.

Then, we had a baby.

[...21-month-long pause...]

Now that junior is grown up a bit, I'm ready to get back into the Blitz world, and I'm offering up this game, "Cat Tag 3000" as my way of saying hello.

I borrowed most of the sounds and images from the Blitz CD, but the cat picture is my own. I've packaged up the BB source, as well as the executable.

You can grab the 530KB file at

http://sommerponyfarm.com/cattag3000.zip

keyboard(Posted 2003) [#2]
ha ha

is funny game :)

but surely you should see the cars, to choose?

and turbo, although making a loud noise, doesn't seem to go any faster.

when game over, you should go to a menu, so you can play again without starting the game again.

when you hit the cat, it should open its mouth and say "MEOW" or something.

all the best, JeffS

ps. its a fine looking cat.

SSS(Posted 2003) [#3]
its a really good game for your first ;) keep it up and good luck

JeffS(Posted 2003) [#4]
Thanks for the kind words.

Yeah, the ending is kinda anticlimactic.

I'll see if my cat will let me get a microphone close enough to her to capture a "meow". If she'll meow....

Next, I'm gonna add multiple catheads.... stay tuned.

big10p(Posted 2003) [#5]
Gwah? You had a baby with Santa Claus? ...kinky! ;)

JeffS(Posted 2003) [#6]
A baby with Jolly ol' St. Nick? We didn't have *that* much egg nog....

In other news: I've added an option to have multiple cats on the screen, thereby allowing more tags. Also, specifying a longer game time allows more tags. Also, higher screen resolutions are more difficult because each new cat head, on average, will be farther away.

So I've implemented a first for a Blitz game: the "resolution-adjusted time-normalized cats-per-second quotient." I suppose I could call this the "score" but that isn't nearly geeky enough.