TriCycle Racer game...

Community Forums/Showcase/TriCycle Racer game...

Jeppe Nielsen(Posted 2003) [#1]
A racer game that I am working on. Featuring large headed men riding tricycles :)

Click images to enlarge.

DEMO HERE (4,50 Mb)

Comments appreciated.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#2]
Do you have a larger screenshot? It looks pretty cool but then everything looks cool in a tiny image; it hides problems in the details.

Also, not much to say as far as comments without a demo. The screenshot looks nice and all but I can't say anything about the gameplay just from a picture.

SSS(Posted 2003) [#3]
click on the shot,
it looks awsome... how are you creating your levels

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#4]
Well paint me sheepish. I do that a lot, not noticing things which haven't been spelled out explicitly; I also generally fail to notice links to download demos unless the message include a big "Click here to DOWNLOAD DEMO!" I guess I'm one of the people the quote in your sig refers to.

I like the fluid look of the racetrack, the way it gracefully curves over the hill. The scenery is pretty bland however; you need interesting stuff to look at, not just a featureless grassy field.

Foppy(Posted 2003) [#5]
It looks very nice. That's a big hill, the player character must be tired once you get to the top! Hey what you should create ;) is a real bike that people put in front of the computer, and they have to peddle and steer and this is all imitated by your guy in the game. But maybe this already exist. But then again, people could get a heart attack cycling up the hills and this wouldn't be funny... OK forget about it! ;) There should also be a fan in front of the player that is automatically switched on when going downhill (if you decide to work out this plan after all). Seriously, the game looks colorful and funny.

wedoe(Posted 2003) [#6]
Looking really good Jeppe. Nice feel to the picture.
Give us a demo ASAP :)

Jeppe Nielsen(Posted 2003) [#7]
I use Bezier patches to create the track, you will be able to create your own tracks in the full version.

Funny idea Foppy, but I think those hills would be impossible in reality :-)

I plan ón getting it published, perhaps by Idigicon. But lately it seems they aren't responding to an email I sent regarding another game, or they are just taking their time.

Anyway, A demo is now available :)

DEMO HERE (4,50 Mb)

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#8]
Assuming you mean you sent them an email within the last month I'd say they're just taking their time.

Algo(Posted 2003) [#9]
I tried the demo but the bottom half of the screen was just a block of green, behind the interface but over the 3D.

Athlon 2100+, Geforce4Ti, 1GB Ram, WinXP

Bolo_Loco(Posted 2003) [#10]
hi

@ALG the same here .
I changed the screen depth in the Ini.file to 32 -
now it works.

BTW. really nice demo !

Bolo

Jeppe Nielsen(Posted 2003) [#11]
It must be some sort of z-order problem. How exactly is block of green looking like?
Can you see the sky, track etc?

Bolo_Loco(Posted 2003) [#12]
Screenshot :

Bolo Loco

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#13]
Hey nice game! Fun :) It's like mario cart but on 3 wheels - I like it.

I get the same green thing unless I change the depth to 32bit.

Nice one Jeppe :)

Jeppe Nielsen(Posted 2003) [#14]
Thanks for the image.
Do you think the green block could be caused by that I am clearing the z-buffer on the camera that display the hud?

JoeGr(Posted 2003) [#15]
Actually, Foppy's bike peripheral idea isn't all that far-fetched. Have a look at this.

http://www.simonperry.org/dst/archives/000691.html

Caff(Posted 2003) [#16]
I too got the green block, changed depth to 32 and all was fine.

Nice little game btw. I do agree, try to put more scenery in, and make the track different widths at certain points. Perhaps sharpen the texture of the fence around the track too.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2003) [#17]
Jeppe-

Like it. You didn't used to have an Amiga+Easy Amos, did u? I haven't seen a tricycle based game since then.

Is that terrain just a mesh, or are you using a more tricksy system?

Foppy(Posted 2003) [#18]
I got a different error: it only draws things that are very near (this includes the grass and road). So I only see a small piece of road/grass/fences and opponents that are near, and the (2D?) mountains and air in the background.

When the game *just* starts I see a short flash in which everything is visible. Then it is like described above. Then, when I press escape, everything will be normal (visible) again for a short moment before the game exits.

Some info: my videocard is an Ati Radeon 7000 and I have recently installed the latest drivers for it. My screen depth is at 32 bit and I tried different settings in your setup file, and different screen resolutions and full screen/windowed mode, but it is still the same.

Here's a picture. I just noticed the border is at about the same height as in the green block screenshot above, so perhaps it is the same or a related problem.

Oh and the space around the arrow thing on the left and the text is not transparant like in other screenshots.

The area of the track that I can still see is in fact a square. If I rotate the bike I can see the 4 corners of it.

Oh and huh... my game is much darker than the others ;) Maybe a difference in video cards or settings?

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#19]
its runs perfect on my system.I played it for quite while too. Fun on the whole , but a bit samey.nice to have lap counter/end of race too.
Like nearly every racing game I have ever played, the other players just always run away from you too fast, so you just end up chasing always. its good to be in a pack , neck and neck.
if you using terragen for the background, make the clouds less repetitive and perhaps some variaton on the grass colour/texture
I would love to see some loop the loops too he he

Douglas(Posted 2003) [#20]
Had exactly the same problems as Foppy.