Development Diary

Community Forums/Showcase/Development Diary

Warren(Posted 2003) [#1]
I sort of have a work log running for my next game (done in Blitz) over here :

http://www.respawngames.com/diary/

If you're interested in following the development, check it out from time to time. I hope to be done with it in a few weeks or so.

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#2]
Sounds interesting. I hope it's as good as Bubble Bomb! :)

Sounds like your headaches with your GUI would've been solved instantly if you had used FONText (specifically, the include bb file). It has everything you need to do this sort of thing.

Oh well, sorted now.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#3]
I am using FONText to generate the fonts, but I prefer to write my own code for actually drawing things. It wasn't that big of a deal and now that it's done I'll never have to look at it again, so ...

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#4]
Nice little read. Just to point out, calling ClearTextureFilters at the start will turn off texture filtering (for all textures)...

Warren(Posted 2003) [#5]
Not to my experience, no. I have never been successful in turning off bilinear filtering. Ever. Mipmapping yes, filtering no.

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#6]
IMO bilinear is something that you can't turn off. Would be handy sometimes if you could, and I think DX would allow this (but not really sure), but it's not without it's problems:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/directx9_c/directx/graphics/programmingguide/fixedfunction/textures/filtering/nearestpointsampling.asp

Applications are not required to use texture filtering. Microsoft Direct3D can be set so that it computes the texel address, which often does not evaluate to integers, and copies the color of the texel with the closest integer address. This process is called nearest-point sampling. This can be a fast and efficient way to process textures if the size of the texture is similar to the size of the primitive's image on the screen. If not, the texture must be magnified or minified. The result can be a chunky, aliased, or blurred image.

You should use nearest-point sampling carefully, because it can sometimes cause graphic artifacts when the texture is sampled at the boundary between two texels. This boundary is the position along the texture (u or v) at which the sampled texel transitions from one texel to the next. When point sampling is used, the system chooses one sample texel or the other, and the result can change abruptly from one texel to the next texel as the boundary is crossed. This effect can appear as undesired graphic artifacts in the displayed texture. When linear filtering is used, the resulting texel is computed from both adjacent texels and smoothly blends between them as the texture index moves through the boundary.

In most cases, applications receive the best results by avoiding nearest-point sample wherever possible. The majority of hardware today is optimized for linear filtering, so your application should not suffer degraded performance.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#7]
Yeah, it's of limited use but it DOES have uses. Text is a perfect example where it would be be nice to turn it off and have nice, crisp output. It's a simple setting of a renderering state so I'm not sure why Mark doesn't allow it, but I'm sure he has his reasons.