Visual Blitz IDE

Community Forums/Showcase/Visual Blitz IDE

Red(Posted 2003) [#1]
[a http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/showcase/showcase_download.pl?id=eddy__blitzmaniac06182003224250&fileurl=http://perso.wanadoo.fr/eddy.dev/projet/VisualBlitz.zip]VisualBlitz IDE - dev version[/a] (240 ko)

Added :
- Preferences Panel
- WordWrap
- Indent Guides

Pepsi(Posted 2003) [#2]
Coolness! :)

Ian Thompson(Posted 2003) [#3]
Thanks Ed, your IDE great!

superqix(Posted 2003) [#4]
Good stuff!

Zster(Posted 2003) [#5]
I think I'm going to be coding in this from now on:). Any chance you're going to make this compatible with other compilers?

Red(Posted 2003) [#6]
@Zster
Perhaps for another BASIC-like compiler

@All
Be careful, if you code a huge source code, make some backups of your code.
Visual Blitz is still on development.

CopperCircle(Posted 2003) [#7]
Another great update, keep it up Ed, iv been using Visual Blitz as my IDE for ages and it works great.

Red(Posted 2003) [#8]
I think that I'll return to original Blitz compilation menu :
- run
- run last
- toggle debug mode
- create executable

"I am not accustomed to the current system." <cheap translator>

CopperCircle(Posted 2003) [#9]
That sounds better, I would also still like the F1 quick help on the status bar like the original blitz ide.

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#10]
Does it have proper complie-error handling now? eg: can I read the error, instead of having to click on OK ?

Red(Posted 2003) [#11]
@Wiebo
I can highlight the line where the last error is (like active line)

Is there a way to get all error message list ?

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#12]
Ed: that would be a good start!

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#13]
ed - A few comments.

The preferences panel works fine. There is no close button though. You make chages and hit apply adn the panel stays there. The only way to close the panel is to click cancel which I assume resets the changes. I think there should be an ok or done button as well. Also the buttons go off the bottom of the preferences window.

Apart from being able to use blitz3d or blitz+ I can't think of anything else I want added, although if you want more work - I will try to think of something for you :)

Basically this is very cool

Qcat(Posted 2003) [#14]
Hi Ed

Gr8 Work on the IDE this is the first alternative IDE I have seen for blitz that I will problay use!

Keep up the good work I look forward to seeing how this IDE develops

Qcat

Red(Posted 2003) [#15]
[ bug fixed ]
- re-activation after click on bb file

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#16]
@Ed > Add a dialog Compiler Options. I can help supply some code that will allow ppl to immediatly upx they releases and add an icon.....if u wwant....

l8tr

Ken Lynch(Posted 2003) [#17]
Looks good.

Just a small cosmetic thing, on my system the dialog boxes (find, replace etc.) are shifted down and have a 3 pixel high blue line under the title bar. I'm using XP but with all the theme stuff turned off.

Red(Posted 2003) [#18]
@DarkLordz
Yes if you have some time to do it.
I need some functions like :
success=UPXcompress(EXEpath) 
success=RHicon(EXEpath,ICONpath)

of course, if it's possible...

@Ken Lynch
- a screenshot plz
- I can enable XP skin to see what happens.

Pepsi(Posted 2003) [#19]
Hi Ed, I noticed when I mouse select a whole function to "comment block" it and then go to "uncomment block" my function to use again, the function doesn't automatically get the folding capability. I can simply insert a new line before the "end function" so that the editor will know that the function is there to place the folding capability on it.

Not a big deal I guess, just wanted to point that out if you haven't realized that yet. Oh, When I uncomment it, the function will show up back in the function list in the right side of the editor thingy. It just wont automatically get the folding capability.

Anyways, I've been enjoying using this editor alot. It's sooo much nicer than the regular blitz ide. Once, if, you get the backup files in, it'll pretty much be the perfect ide for me for blitz programming. :)

dangerdave(Posted 2003) [#20]
Where are the instructions on how to run this?
What are the system requirments?

When I try to run it, nothing happens.

Pepsi(Posted 2003) [#21]
Hi dangerdave, have you done this?
IMPORTANT: If you are planning to use BlitzCC with a 3rd party editor, you must setup an environment variable called 'blitzpath' that points at the blitz directory (ie: the one 'blitzbasic.exe' is in).

This is taken from the online versions.txt in the product upgrades section of the 1.78 update info. Hope this helps ya...

dangerdave(Posted 2003) [#22]
Yep. I have it set so that it is set on boot-up.

Does it need the .net stuff? Hope not.

Pepsi(Posted 2003) [#23]
No, it doesn't need the .net stuff. thank goodness.

Hrmmm dunno then. Thats wot got me when I first ran this editor and it didnt run anything, I forgot all about the environment variable thing. I'm running off Win2000. I simply set the variable and the editor automagically worked for me. Dont know what else to suggest. :/

dangerdave(Posted 2003) [#24]
does it have to be in the blitz3d folder? It's not.

Pepsi(Posted 2003) [#25]
Nope, I just tried putting it in another directory outside of my blitz3d directory and it still worked for me.

dangerdave(Posted 2003) [#26]
Hehe. This is almost as fast as IM'ing!!

I will shutdown all my apps and try it.

Thanks

Pepsi(Posted 2003) [#27]
lol, np. It would be a shame if you didn't get a chance to use this editor in all its glory! :)

dangerdave(Posted 2003) [#28]
SUCCESS!

I restarted my computer and shutdown all of my apps.
I then ran it and saw the splash screen for the first time.

HOWEVER: It stopped responding when it was creating the keyword list!!
I had to end the visual blitz task.

I then ran it again and now it loaded!!

YAY! Going to look at its options.

Thanks Pepsi!!

-------------
THANKS ED for bringing this app all the way from Mars!!! ;-)

Pepsi(Posted 2003) [#29]
Cool! lol, I see where you were at now, I thought you had gotten pass the splash screen into the editor itself and just couldnt run any blitz programs like my problem was. doh. Glad to hear that you figured it out! :)

dangerdave(Posted 2003) [#30]
Hmmm, still have a bit of a problem.

Checking into it.

Pepsi(Posted 2003) [#31]
<Pepsi>: ok, Im still here to try to help if i can. :)

dangerdave(Posted 2003) [#32]
Hmm, it went away after another reboot.

I thought it was crashing when I hade IE open, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

I'll dig deeper if it happens again.

Thanks Pepsi.

dangerdave(Posted 2003) [#33]
(Don't want to hijack this thread.)
Pepsi, what are you currently working on? I haven't noticed a worklog entry in while.
The above statement was an attempt to coax you into making a worklog entry.

dangerdave(Posted 2003) [#34]
Ed,

Is there room in the explorer (left hand side) to include a separate section on media files that are specified in the BB file?

Subsections would include the different media types, such as 3d objects, 2d pictures, sound, music, video.
Clicking on a file name would be like doing find in the current file.

-------------------------
This IDE is looking good and loads fast.
Can't wait until the some of current commands/features are fully implemented.

Pepsi(Posted 2003) [#35]
[On Topic]
But you are able to run you blitz code with it, right?

[Off Topic]
Actaully, I was just thinking about updating my worklog the other day... I'm working on a indoor/outdoor level editor, yet again. I'll go ahead and do another worklog. Thanks for reminding me.

Red(Posted 2003) [#36]
-Ressources subsection
I'll try to do it

Bouncer(Posted 2003) [#37]
Greatest IDE so far!! EXCELLENT work.... Thanks Ed.

dangerdave(Posted 2003) [#38]
Hmmm,

I am not able to actually compile. Cannot run, run with debug, or create an exe.

The visual blitz window minimizes and thats it. Nothing else happens.

Pepsi(Posted 2003) [#39]
Now thats what happened to me at first until I put in my environment variable.

What OS are you using?

dangerdave(Posted 2003) [#40]
I running the version everyone loves to hate ... WinME.

The IDE seems to make/run an app/process called Winoldap.
The IDE is listed as not responding in the task manager. If end task Winoldap, the IDE pops back up.

Here are my env vars:

COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
PROMPT=$p$g
TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
BLITZPATH=C:\PROGRA~1\BLITZ3D
PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\PROGRA~1\ATITEC~1\ATICON~1;C:\PROGRA~1\ATITEC~1\ATICON~1
winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
windir=C:\WINDOWS

dangerdave(Posted 2003) [#41]
8-( Going offline.

Severe Thunder Storm Warning in the area.

Pepsi(Posted 2003) [#42]
I forget now, but can you like right click or get into Properties of the main MSDOS icon in your startup menu? If I remmeber right, I think thats where I had to put in my environment value when I had WinME... unless thats the same thing as editing the .bat file. I keep remmember seeing properties for it and there was a enviroment section for it. Darn it, I forget exactly how I did it back then. Dunno what else to suggest. :/