Progress.. (bandwidth Heavy)!

Community Forums/Showcase/Progress.. (bandwidth Heavy)!

DH(Posted 2003) [#1]
Well, suppose its about time I reveal a bit of what we're donig.. Well for the last few months we have been working 0n a team based first person shooter. I am not going to go into any details on the game itself (not because its a secret, but because we want it to all be a supprise). This may look a bit quake/UT-ish, however I assure you, these are merely test levels we have been using to test out the game play and ease of level design with the engine.

Here we go, on to the bandwidth....

First test level entitled "Rawtiron":

Next test level entitled "Rodeo"

And the most recent addition to test levels was "Nailer

So there you have it... These are all in game shots of the levels we are currently testing with. I know they look a bit UT-ish, however the actual demo levels are more down to earth.

Tell me what you think.

ashmantle(Posted 2003) [#2]
hmm.. its actually quite nice ;)

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#3]
Looks lovely. Be interesting to see how they play with real teams.

Adam Bossy(Posted 2003) [#4]
Sick! Looking forward to playing this game.

Pepsi(Posted 2003) [#5]
Nice! You guys have a website on its progress?

semar(Posted 2003) [#6]
Impressive..

May I ask which tool do you use to build the 3D world levels ?

Caff(Posted 2003) [#7]
Yes, the tools man! What tools! I take it this isn't a maplet job? I notice you've lightmapped bits of it with bits of 3d geometry and objects, how did you go about that then eh?

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#8]
hey that looks cool
gis a play :)

SopiSoft(Posted 2003) [#9]
WOW!!! It looks very impressive!!!
I wanna know too what tool you guys used to create those levels!

Augen(Posted 2003) [#10]
Very nice. There seems to be lots of sharp pointy objects in the scene, and although I like sharp pointy objects, I think it would look and possibly play better if some places didn't have them. Don't get me wrong, I think those are awesome levels (or maybe even 1 single level), and I only intend to give constructive criticism that may help in giving you more sales.

DH(Posted 2003) [#11]
@Augen

Yes, we agree as well.. Although the designer derived most of his inspiration from UT and Quake, we agree completly to loose the "horn-like" appearance. Like I had said in the post, these are merely levels he had thrown together for testing purposes...

@Everyone else
The tools to create those (those particular screenshots) was max 5. The screen shots are from in-game, however the levels (And the lightmaps) were created in max 5 in a matter of a few hours a level. The lightmaper I am working on is on the verge of resembling the same. Although it isn't quite finished yet (for all practicle purposes), it does almost as well as the max 5 baking technique we used in the above screenshots. The entire reason behind using a custom lightmapper is because Max5 doesnt use the second UV set, and thus, has to bake the entire map as a complete map (texture and lightmap), this doesnt allow for the detail in the texture to show when it comes to tiling. With using the second UV set, we can still get the desired detail of the texture when its tiled.

Still more to come as we work out the bugs in the engine.

Thanks for the compliments guys, and thanks for the criticing as well. We all have our certain amount of ego, however we still enjoy honest opinions about our work. Although even the polys max out at about 45,000 (in rodeo), we still get a great FPS rate on a Geforce 2 MX. Still, we arent yet allowing for anywheres up to 20 1200 poly animated models, and a few weapons at around 800 polys a piece. There is more in store though for the levels (not necessarily these), the lightmapper I am designing is also going to do a VIS breakdown of the entire level (into a predetermined amount of zones, which will give me the basis of a bsp tree). This in itself will allow for a much greater amount of polys per level (when we actually get the demo levels completed).

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#12]
Hey, I like the Nailer! Lighting in it looks so good...

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#13]
...quite nice!!! lovely!?!?! those screenshots are downright fantastic!!!

Looking forward to this one... I've been known to buy :)

--Mike

Winnebag0(Posted 2003) [#14]
Looks awsome. Especially the lighting. Interesting to see how the gameplay will turn out. Excelent job so far!

poopla(Posted 2003) [#15]
Lovely screens, is there any playability to this project tho?