mario demo.

Community Forums/Showcase/mario demo.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#1]
here a 3d demo of my mario demo, post comments please.

ps i'd like to hear from you guys who have/are making 3d pltformer style games as your opinion will be more valid to me because you've had experience in this area. :)

http://www.peargames.com/downloads/camtest.zip

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#2]
It's pretty cool. I like the look of your mario. It is pretty confusing when the camera is inside obstacles however. From there you can't even tell the obstacle is there (since you can't see it) yet the character will still collide with it; thus the character appears to be colliding with thin air.

The legal issues are somthing you should be concerned about. I'll see if I can find the older thread in this forum about somebody else's Mario clone, but the gist of what people were pointing out is that Nintendo WILL harass you if they find out you are making a Mario game, even if it is freeware.

By the way, why is the download so huge? While downloading I just assumed there would be lots of texture images but once I actually played it there just appears to be Mario, a tiled image for the scenery, and a masked image for coins. So why the 2.5MB (zipped!) download?

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#3]
"The legal issues are somthing you should be concerned about. I'll see if I can find the older thread in this forum about somebody else's Mario clone, but the gist of what people were pointing out is that Nintendo WILL harass you if they find out you are making a Mario game, even if it is freeware. "

that was my mario clone :)
im only using it to test my engine, will make a new character.
The collision with the camera and scenery was taken out in that demo and i forgot to put it back in.

the mario model file is pretty big, 1.95mb plus that was a pretty high poly model, that's why it was high.(only trying a high poly model to see how it coped).

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#4]
there is a better demo on the way, has a better camera and better player turning.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#5]
here's the new link, please try and tell me what you think.

ps some camera functionality is missing

http://www.zen27149.zen.co.uk\mario.zip