Rocket Boards - New demo (now easier... with two extra levels :)

Community Forums/Showcase/Rocket Boards - New demo (now easier... with two extra levels :)

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#1]
Some of you will have seen the last thread about my game Rocket Boards ( http://www.blitzbasic.com/bbs/posts.php?topic=23364 ). I have spent the last week or so tidying things up and making the game easire/ more fun (i hope).

You can get the demo from the same place.

http://www.binarymoon.co.uk/index.php?page=games/g_rocket_boards.htm

As you may have noticed in the thread title... there are now two extra tracks added. This means that you get the entire first grandprix.

Anyone wanting to buy the game should visit here

http://www.shareit.com/product.html?productid=185617&languageid=1&currencies=GBP,USD,EUR,AUD

This will be the last version for now. No more features. However any ideas you suggest will be taken into consideration and may one day appear :S - right now I am finished with the game and want to move onto something different.

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#2]
Whilst I remember - the full version of the game isn't on my website (that's for whoever tried to download full_rocketboards.exe)

rsbrowndog(Posted 2003) [#3]
Downloading now... will let you know what I think! (Much later though, I'm on dial-up! :-[)

BTW... you're in the links at my site:

http://www.babybrown.co.uk

EDIT...

Played it now and I think it's ACE! I love the graphics and the style of the game, really cool!

Will this be available boxed as it would make a perfect Xmas present for my nephew (yeah, I know I'm thinking ahead here!) and I can't really give him the download version as CD-Rs with hand-written labels don't look like you've spent much money on their present!

One tiny criticism... when the race finishes and your boarder continues to fly round the track with the camera circling him... to be honest after a little while I began to feel a bit nauseous with that camera going round and round and round and round and round and round and round and... you get the picture!

Cheers,

Ryan

sswift(Posted 2003) [#4]
" Whilst I remember - the full version of the game isn't on my website (that's for whoever tried to download full_rocketboards.exe) "

Hahahahahahaha!

Warren(Posted 2003) [#5]
Oh geez, I get that ALL THE TIME for Bubble Bomb. People trying to guess the filename for the full version...

It's $10 for God's sake. :)

GfK(Posted 2003) [#6]
Much better.

Lil typo on the "game over" page tho. It says "8 characters over 4 grandprixs". The correct term is "4 grands prix".

sswift(Posted 2003) [#7]
I think most Americans, like myself think it's grand prixs. :-)

Warren(Posted 2003) [#8]
Seems like a red flag should be going off in the designers head right about now ... change the name! :) Find something else to call them besides "grand prix" that doesn't cause confusion among customers.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#9]
I downloaded this twice. Each time it said "Setup files are corrupted. Please obtain a new copy of the program."

sswift(Posted 2003) [#10]
Mario Kart refers to each as a "cup" I think.

GfK(Posted 2003) [#11]
I think most Americans, like myself think it's grand prixs.
Doesn't alter the fact that its wrong though. :)

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#12]
Is the final version also easier now or just the demo? I really enjoyed the demo, but I did struggle to finish well on the second level.

[edit]BTW your server is playing up. It stopped the download halfway through. Twice.[/edit]

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#13]

Find something else to call them besides "grand prix" that doesn't cause confusion among customers.

I suggest you call them Broomm-broomms. And change your game's name to "racey-racey"

Is the final version also easier now or just the demo?

Just the demo I hope. Do you want to finish the game on your first day? (I did)

Warren(Posted 2003) [#14]
I suggest you call them Broomm-broomms. And change your game's name to "racey-racey"

Arrogance and condescension are attractive traits in a game designer. Customers like nothing more than to be talked down to.

NTense(Posted 2003) [#15]
Hey Binary,
The game plays a lot better now... Looks really good.. Though I'm having menu problems again with it.. (You fixed in the other version.. Did something change?). It's the same thing. I hear the change, but the screen doesn't show it.. Anyway, the gameplay seems much better.

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#16]
GFK - If the biggest problem with the game is the spelling then I'm happy :)

NTense - Oh dear; Swift who had problems last time said it worked fine on his computer now. I'll have another look and see if there is anything else I could change that will sort things out.

Sybixus - The game is easier than the version I sent Anthony (Sorry Ant) Hopefully it is more challenging now, but not too frustrating. The difficulty is relatively linear. If you can come first in the last race on the first grandprix you should be able to come in the top 3 on the first race on the second grandprix (fingers crossed)

I apologise to anyone who has problems downloading the game but short of changing web hosts I have no way of sorting this out. All I can say is if it cuts out halfway then try again. I will be complaining to the web hosts soon.

Robert(Posted 2003) [#17]
@BM

Well, I am disappointed that you decided not to add any more features - but that is your choice.

GRAND PRIX is spelt like this << (ie. no S at the end). Even Americans don't spell it like that!

sswift(Posted 2003) [#18]
"Arrogance and condescension are attractive traits in a game designer. Customers like nothing more than to be talked down to."

Are you implying it was bad for John Romero to take out a full page ad in a game magazine with big words saying about Daikatana that "John Romero is going to make you his bitch. SUCK IT DOWN." and that trademarking "Suck it down!" might be a bad idea?

NTense(Posted 2003) [#19]
Binary,
The update of the old version worked fine for me (after you fixed the menus).. This one is easier to play, but the menus don't work.. I wouldn't have thought that the GUI code would have changed with AI update, but maybe you copied and pasted something from the old into the new one.. I do think it plays much better though.

GfK(Posted 2003) [#20]
GRAND PRIX is spelt like this << (ie. no S at the end). Even Americans don't spell it like that!
Singular, yes. Plural is GRANDS PRIX!
GFK - If the biggest problem with the game is the spelling then I'm happy
You shouldn't be happy knowing your game has errors in it. Little details like that (small though they are) can destroy the presentation. Anyway, its not my game - whether you correct it or not is entirely up to you.

BTW: I think the difficulty for a demo version is right. On my first go I finished first in the first two races then either 2nd or 3rd (I forget) after that.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#21]

Arrogance and condescension are attractive traits in a game designer. Customers like nothing more than to be talked down to.

Sarcasm is better, then? (actually, my comment was merely sarcasm too). What I meant was, if "Grand Prix" is too confusing a term for customers, well, we're in big trouble. You have to give your customers credit for at least a little basic education.

Not using the term "Grand Prix" because it might be too confusing, would be an example of condescension and talking down.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#22]
You have to give your customers credit for at least a little basic education.

Not really, no. Even in this very thread we've had confusion over the spelling of the name ... this is among programmers! Take that back a few levels and think about how the end user will react.

Now, true, maybe "grand prix" is fine since many other games have used it in the past, so screw it. My contention was with the overall attitude being displayed. I've worked with game developers who had this sort of attitude and it never leads to a good outcome.

Me : "Hey, this puzzle is sort of tough to figure out. What do you think about making it a little simpler?"

Them : "What? Dude, if they can't figure it out they're too stupid to be playing the game anyway."

No.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#23]
Fair enough. I guess there's no limit to people's stupidity. Or lack of education. Or lack of skill... or whatever. And we should all try to be as inclusive as possible, wherever we can. Cash from the stupid is worth every bit as much as cash from the smart.

But on the other hand, I wouldn't want peddling to the lowest common denominator to deny people above that level the opportunity to do a good, hard puzzle either... too easy is even less fun than too hard.

Grand Prix is something that most people know the meaning of, even if they can't all pluralise it correctly (just make sure the game gets it right). It shouldn't affect anyone's enjoyment.

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#24]
Very nice game! The only thing I didn't really like was the players' voices. A little too computerised for my taste. But again: very nice game, I actually finished the demo.

sswift(Posted 2003) [#25]
"Grand Prix is something that most people know the meaning of, even if they can't all pluralise it correctly"

Actually I have no idea what a Grand Prix is. I only know I've heard it used in reference to racing a thousand times. I imagine most people who don't follow racing are similarly handicapped. :-)

Of course I'm not entirely racing-challenged. I must be one of the only Americans who thinks Nascar is boring, and that Rally cars are much more interesting to watch.

Of course, Rally car crashes have nothing on Nascar crashes.

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#26]
Very nicely done. Really polished and nice to control. I think you could get another game out of the same engine with a more adventure based game dynamic.

My daughter (6) enjoyed visiting the little island and looking at the ripples in the water. Altho she was dissappointed that she couldn't choose the girl character on the demo.

Is there a joypad option? (I tried to test my skateboard controller!)

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#27]
Oh hell, just call it "Brmm Brmm Cars Go Racey Race"

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#28]
"I must be one of the only Americans who thinks Nascar is boring"

Did you know that Nascar is the most watched sport in America? I always assumed sports like football or basketball had the most spectators but I found out a few months ago Nascar has the most fans (by a lot!)

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#29]
It makes me want to make an adventure Mario-type game.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#30]
It was pretty fun; great job! It was annoying how there were extremely visible seams on the terrain but that's a pretty minor thing.

The more concerning thing was how I kept getting stuck on the sidewalls. Any time I brushed up against the sides I got stuck. Usually I would also end up turned around, which is worse than if bumping against the walls stopped me outright. And getting stuck happened the most when I used a turbo; far from helping me, using a turbo often put me further behind because I would get stuck against a wall and everyone would pass me.

You might want to look into that, maybe having the player bounce off walls or something.