Art Gallery Test

Community Forums/Showcase/Art Gallery Test

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi

Can you please test this for speed / compatability for me?

[EDIT] Now includes the .exe from version 3

http://www.fire-bat-software.co.uk/gallery.zip [2.7 meg]

I am trying to get a place in the 3rd year of a computer animation course at my university but they wanted a portfolio of my work, as i have not been to art college or anything i dont have one, so i whipped this up in a few hours to send them, its a sort of 3d art gallery, i am sending this along with actual printouts etc

note. the upstairs rooms are not finished yet, as they lack descriptions of the pictures :)

let me know if it runs and looks ok, ta

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2003) [#2]
Doing now old pal old chum.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2003) [#3]
Slow as piss m8.

XP21 400+ram and a GF2 64.

GfK(Posted 2003) [#4]
It looks and works OK but the FPS seems a little 'variable', shall we say.

Atlhon 900MHz, GF2MX 32Mb, 512Mb RAM, DX9.

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2003) [#5]
thanks guys, its smooth here :(

could you try this new .exe

www.fire-bat-software.co.uk/gallery.zip

i turned off vsync on this one, might help

GfK(Posted 2003) [#6]
Doesn't look any different here.

If that's running in 32-bit maybe you could try a 16-bit version?

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2003) [#7]
yeah its picking its own mode, good point.

heres another one :P

www.fire-bat-software.co.uk/gallery.zip

GfK(Posted 2003) [#8]
That's loads better - still a little slow when you're looking/going up the stairs though.

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2003) [#9]
cheers.

least its running better now, ta :)
the guy walking around is an old codger..its er, supposed to do that :P

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#10]
Realy weird the way it worked. @ SOme points i could not walk fast but @ some points i could. It ran smooth tough...

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#11]
Worked fine here (used the first version).

P4 1.4, Geforce2

However I found that the character had disturbingly little clearance under doorways, etc! Maybe you need to make the fella just a little shorter.

And I thought the work in your "non-CGI dungeon" was a little weak, but I guess that's neither here nor there.

WendellM(Posted 2003) [#12]
Version 3 runs a little slowly here at 1024x768 32 bit, what I'd consider the "right" speed at 1024x768 16-bit, and almost too fast at 800x600 16-bit: 1.4 GHz Athlon, GeForce 3 Ti 200. I agree that the viewpoint seems a little high. Very nice otherwise, with the lightmaps, headbob, etc. Good luck getting into the course!

Koriolis(Posted 2003) [#13]
All I can get is a memory access violation after the little menu...

myspys(Posted 2003) [#14]
looks and runs okay on my machine (in 800x600x16, 1024x768x32 is SLOW but that's down to my gfx-card)

p3-733 with a geforce 2mx

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#15]
If you put the latest thing all in one zip I might download it... some of us are on modems ya know! :)

skn3(Posted 2003) [#16]
Looks cool. Apart from the unfinished sketch in the second room, on floor 2.

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2003) [#17]
Cheers guys

The reason its running slow on some cards is down to the fact that most of the pictures are 512x512 to keep them good enough to see.

I will make the guy a bit shorter, or add a comical (OW!) sound when he bangs his noggin :)

@ Anthony, yeah the 2d room isnt quite done yet, but as the course is mainly CGI stuff i'm hoping they wont notice its crapness too much, I have a few other things to put there but mostly old amiga sprite work which wont impress them.

@ Dr Av, Everything is in the 1st zip now.

Derek(Posted 2003) [#18]
Version 1 runs fast, version 3 runs too fast to control!

Both were in 1024 x 768 x 32.

Looks good though.

Athlon XP2200+, GeForce 4 Ti4600

Koriolis(Posted 2003) [#19]
Everything is in the 1st zip now
Doh, that's why I had a memory access violation! I thought the images were packed in the exe, and had not downloaded the 1st version.
It runs fine here. P4 2.4Ghz, GeForce4 Ti4200

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2003) [#20]
Ok the 1st zip now contains everything, so the others are not needed and I have added a vsync, so hopefully that will help for people who have it running too fast.

...now if i could only add robs cubemapped water to this thing :)

Fluke(Posted 2003) [#21]
Mmmm, nice :)

Anyway, 2600XP, GF4 4200, totally smooth. Never dropped below 160fps according to Fraps, and peaked at around 670 (no vsync obviously)...

(@1024x768x32 btw)

Ginger Tea(Posted 2003) [#22]
it walked ok at 1024*768 16
didnt try the other modes

Odds On(Posted 2003) [#23]
It ran smooth and fast on my PC at 1024x768x32. Very nice level design and texturing etc, it felt like I was playing Project IGI 2 or something :)

FlameDuck(Posted 2003) [#24]
Works fine on my computer. There is one thing I would change if I was you though. I would remove the room you initially start in, and just start in the main hall, and I would only show the overlay text when you're actually faceing the image.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2003) [#25]
or lmb to 'hear' the interactive bollox

mind you i tried shooting the feebs and found out i had no gun :-(

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#26]
I've considered doing something like this... I think you need the message only to appear if you're actally looking at it rather than if you're near it.

I'm not sure if it would be better just to have a next/previous button and it automatically glides you to the next picture. If you make it more interactive then keep it fps style, but otherwise I think it's pointless being able to walk around yourself.

I also agree you're a bit tall.

Runs nice and smooth on my PC (althon900 GF3ti200)

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#27]
Actually both near and looking at would be best. You don't want text for a picture showing up when the picture is seen from down the hall. Just use EntityVisible to tell if the picture is actually in view before displaying information text.

The framerate seemed fine but the movement rate was certainly highly variable. Going up the stairs in particular was excrutiating because I was moving so slow. If you aren't doing some sort of framerate independence you should. Something like render tweening or (my preference since it is easier to work with) delta time.

Make sure to tweak CameraRange. I've seen MANY Blitz3D demos with z-buffer problems and this is one of them. The paintings in particular are problematic since they are close to the wall (and are the whole point of the demo!) From only maybe a body length away the polygons flash; I can't get a good look at a painting until it fills my screen, and from down the hall I often can't see any painting at all. You probably don't notice on your computer because your hardware is newer and thus has a finer z-buffer but on my computer, with its coarser z-buffer, there are major z-fighting visual artifacts. If you are aiming for a known system then that doesn't matter but if you are aiming for wider compatibility you should shrink the CameraRange for a better z-buffer. Basically, set CameraRange to be as small as possible while still encompassing the full range you want visible.