Car Model my firt try.

Community Forums/Showcase/Car Model my firt try.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2003) [#1]

Well there it is. My first attempt at a car. let me know what you think. the skin was sourced on the net then edited by me..

I think it actually took longer to skin and have it looking right than to actually do the model.

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#2]
Yikes, that's pretty good!

popey(Posted 2003) [#3]
that's great yav

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2003) [#4]
Id say its ok for me first car :D

Thanks though.. I need some tips.. how could I have made it better. ?

.rIKmAN.(Posted 2003) [#5]
Nice work Yav :)

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#6]
I think you want to throw a couple of hundred more triangles at it, currently it looks a bit dated due to the polycount.

Shouldn't the wheel hub be inset from the tyre?

Also having internal detail on the windows looks a little odd too, and the engine detail being a flat texture again is a little strange.

Overall though, the shape and proportion is really good, the texture is well mapped apart from the front where it all looks squashed up vertically.

I found that my first couple of cars weren't too good, but the more you do the easier it becomes.

Smurfpuss(Posted 2003) [#7]
yeah but i think it looks great to be a low poly modell like for racing games for low performens computers

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#8]
"I think it actually took longer to skin and have it looking right than to actually do the model."

Yeah, that's normal. And you didn't even create the texture image; imagine if you were painting the texture from scratch. Doing a textured, non-animated character model for example I routinely spend a day on the model, a day on the texture coordinates, and several days painting the texture image.

That's why I always have to bite by tongue when people pop up offering untextured models. It's nice that they want to give away assets (and that's why I don't post a criticizing message) but the model is the easy part; a textured model would be useful.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2003) [#9]
About the number of pollygons. its my firts try man. SheeSh.!!!

And I found that when I added more the unwrap was messy. to many pollygons. Im just not good enough yet to handle to much.. but id say its a good start.

Smurfpuss(Posted 2003) [#10]
I was not picking on the number of polys Yavin this was not to be bad i think that this modell is great like it is i was only saying that it is great to use on Pc that don't have that good grapich cards like keep up your work and about the texturing of high poly modells i know it is a pain even i try to keep the poly value really low and put more time down on the texturing

like i love the modell

poopla(Posted 2003) [#11]
Yav, it's great work for a first, keep it up, and work on smoothing the corners out a bit.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2003) [#12]
OK here is car number 2.

Again im still new to this so go easy on me. lol but thanks for all the advice it is helping me.

Let me know what you think. I took your advice and use more pollygons. but hit some glitches where some polly's were not being nice and fooked up the texture a bit.

So again go easy on me.

thanks

GfK(Posted 2003) [#13]
Looks nice. I don't think the wheels should stick out like that though - they should be inline with the sides of the care - either that or add flared wheel-arches. :)

Wayne(Posted 2003) [#14]
I think the wheels are fine, gives the car more muscle.
Doing great man.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#15]
It looks a bit too rounded; almost like you just took the first model and smoothed it.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2003) [#16]
"It looks a bit too rounded; almost like you just took the first model and smoothed it."

Thats just plane crap soz m8. I think all you have to do is look close at the wireframe sections, not just that but even a side on of the models and you will see they are nothing like each other, appart from one thing, that being the wheels . cos I Kinda like em sticking out.

They are also like this because the end skin for the model will be an INDY500 type race car skin. like the top one.

Both cars dimentions also match 100% or as near to it, as the original cars. I knwo this cos I used the cars blueprints to model them.

Anyway thanks for all the tips. I will be working on another car tonight so Ill post that when its done. although it might take a but longer cos its got some mad curvy bits.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#17]
I like the second one a lot. Saying it looks too rounded is just odd considering that's what the actual car looks like. If you don't like the design of that car then that's fine but there's nothing wrong with the model.

The textures look a little odd just because of inconsistent brightness. For example the right/passenger side of the car is too bright, resulting in a pretty clear and disturbing line running the length of the car. Or was that done on purpose? Because if so, it looks weird.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#18]
Okay, I'm sorry. It looks awesome. Just like the real thing. Especially the bubble-shaped roof.

DarkEagle(Posted 2003) [#19]
be fair yav, you asked for peoples opinions so your gona get them...
imo the front of the car seems to be squashed vertically, and the wheels stick out too much making the car look goofy... lack of wing mirrors make it look odd too... i think bringing the wheels in slightly, and adding more detail, ie an inset between the tire and hubcap, and then adding wing mirrors, and you would be on to a winner.