Copper

Community Forums/Showcase/Copper

Bremer(Posted 2003) [#1]
If you remember the Amiga, you would remember that it had a copper register that could create a great effect with colors and bars. I have tried to reproduce that as faithfully as I could and here is the result.

http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/showcase/showcase_showentry.pl?id=zawran07182003053837&comments=no

Hope you like it.

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#2]
No Files Included.....2bad.

Sunteam Software(Posted 2003) [#3]
I have done something similar in our 2D tech demo which you can get from our website in the Demo section. I think it's about half way through under it's other name of Plasma. At least I think that's what your talking about ;)

wedoe(Posted 2003) [#4]
Nothing to download ??

Bremer(Posted 2003) [#5]
I have fixed it now. Sorry about that.

Bremer(Posted 2003) [#6]
Btw. the image doesn't really do justice to the demo, but I didn't want to reveal the good part. I hope you will download it and that you like it. If you had an Amiga you should :)

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#7]
BTW, why was it called a copper register and what exactly did it do? I mean, I know the kind of effects it was used for, but how did it work?

joncom2000(Posted 2003) [#8]
It was call copper because it was a mini co-processer built into one of the amiga's custom chips (Denise or Lisa depending on the model).

What it does is allow you to change hardware registers every scanline, so when used on the colour palette created the cool copper effect. But you could only do it down the screen because it was liked to the scanline.

Why do i remember such useless information?
Must have been all that AMOS & BB2 programing :)

Cheers
Jon

Grisu(Posted 2003) [#9]
Cardwar's Mainbackgroundstyle No. 7 of 9 has also some nice eye candy of that sort!

Bremer(Posted 2003) [#10]
You could actually do it across the scanline as well, thats how we came up with the coppersplit. You could only manage a certain amount of splits due to the speed of the different processors in the amiga though. The PC ofcause don't have this copper processor so you have to come up with ways to emulate this specific effect. The C64 had something similar, but that one could only be manipulated on each line and it was called the raster. I seem to remember that it was possible to split the copper 40 times on each line. I did the exact same effect back when I had the Amiga. This demo is 800x600 and its split 50 times so its a little better, but same style and true to its original form.

The reason I the screenshot is not that much to look at is that I didn't want to show that I actually emulate the copper split and not just the copper, because I have never seen a PC demo actually show off that effect before. And the demo slowly built up to revealing this.