Lightwave Subdivision Surfaces

Community Forums/Showcase/Lightwave Subdivision Surfaces

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#1]
I've just been messing with Lightwaves' Subdivision surfaces modelling.

Before:

After:

You got to love it!

starfox(Posted 2003) [#2]
wow!

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#3]
All hail the might TAB key! Ha!

NTense(Posted 2003) [#4]
Nice! The power of one keystroke?!?

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#5]
Lightwave is pretty cool in a lot of ways.

It's a real shame that I have all the modelling skill of a gooseberry. 8P

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#6]
I wouldn't model a human character this way if you want to be able to properly animate it though.

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#7]
Wouldn't this mesh animate ok?

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#8]
It depends of course on the specific animations you need. Looking at your model the shoulders/armpit region (ie. where the arm connects to the body) would be problematic if any of your animations involve lifting the arm. The way you have it modeled that whole area is directed down.

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#9]
I see. Hmmm, I suppose this would be a good example of where bones with weighted Vertecies would be useful.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#10]
Not really. Weighted vertices help but in the end accomplish only so much. There's no magic bullet of technology which will correct fundamental structural errors like a malformed shoulder/armpit aream. There's a reason characters are usually modeled in the arms out position.

Frankly the model wouldn't need much tweaking to correct the problem (just pull a few vertices up so that the armpits are higher and the shoulders aren't sloped downward) but it is something to be aware of.

Smurfpuss(Posted 2003) [#11]
Like does any one know where i can get some tutorials on how to make nice joints on a modell like for the arms and legs like without getting strange animation deformation
woulde be great if some one coulde give me a link :)

or even how to build low poly trees and plants

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#12]
Making joints which deform well is mostly about modeling the joint so it is accurate to the real structure (after all, real shoulders deform fine) and arranging the edges correctly. A recent trend among modelers is to think in terms of "edge loops" but the concept is really just a formal statement of a long known idea. Basically you think of edges as creases; anyplace the model will need to bend there must be a crease perpendicular to the bend. For example, for shoulders to bend up and down there needs to be an edge running across the top. To give an example where the edge is arranged incorrectly, notice how the edge on the side of the knees of Terabit's model runs vertically. If the knees were to bend sideways they wouldn't deform correctly because there is no crease for the bend; there's no problem in this case however since knees don't bend sideways (unless of course you were animating a dislocated knee.)

TeraBit's model actually has very good arrangement of the edges, the problem is just that the shoulders aren't shaped correctly. This is why I said there isn't too much tweaking needed. TeraBit, I suggest throwing a reference image of a person behind the model so that you can get the proportions correct.

Your second request, for tutorials on plants, was pretty random.

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#13]
Ah I see what you mean. I'll see if I can tweak it a bit and post the results.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#14]
lots of good info jH... especially for someone like me, who can only model submarine hulls and other simple structures...

... people modelling has always been a daunting task for me.

your lil snippets are quite helpfull...

Thanks

--Mike