My First Skinned Model

Community Forums/Showcase/My First Skinned Model

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2003) [#1]
I have now made 5 good looking models. my first 5 as well, ;) I learn fast.

Anyway. since these are my first models I have been able to Skin properly Id like some comments.

Thanks to Nibby's initial text he sent me and then some extra research on the topic online.

First try

Second Try

Both Models will be in my up coming game Solar Shatter..

Anyway thanks for looking and thanks for any sugestions you can give.

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#2]
I haven't skinned anything myself, but hey, I can still be a critique.

The first one looks good, the solar panal mappings are nice. I don't know about the texture on the main body. It's a little odd, but I wouldn't gripe if I saw it in a game.

The second one is a cool model, but the wing textures don''t look so great. One of the problems is that the lines don't intersect each other at the joints between to triangles.

Cool flame trail BTW, but the blue part of the flame seems about twice as long as it should be.

rsbrowndog(Posted 2003) [#3]
Yavin,

Your ship looks very cool, as does the in-game shot - love the flame trail!!

Only thing is... "Solar Shatter"... it sounds like someone who poos suns. Sorry!

Cheers,

Ryan

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#4]
I like the ship - could do with some weathering and I agree the cockpit lets it down a bit.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#5]
The first model looks nice but very inconsistent polycount. You used very detailed cylinders for the side arms; you should redo those with less detailed cylinders. At the distance your game's viewpoint is (from the screenshot) there will be no visible difference anyway.

Also, you may want to change the texture colors to something which will stand out. For example the black side panels will just blend in with the blackness of space. Bright blue solor panels might be better.

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#6]
Ravey : Oh m8 I wish I knew how. mabey you could help ?

Course :) Send me the skin and i'll have a go :)

rsbrowndog(Posted 2003) [#7]
Yavin,

No mate, I'm not German, LOL!

I thought it was a common expression, as in "I shat on his head." (Apologies to all for profanity!!)

BTW... I vaguely recall shizer being German for it, but it is 14 years since I was in a German lesson, so I might be wrong!

Don't sweat it anyway, it's just my sense of humour - I borrowed it from a six year old!! ;-)

The game looks great, BTW!

Cheers,

Ryan

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2003) [#8]
lol Star Shatter as in Star Brakeapart blow up die explode :)

And Ravy Sure and ta m8 Ill upload the skins to my site and Ill pop the link in here.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2003) [#9]

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2003) [#10]
thanks for any help you give ravey.

GitTech(Posted 2003) [#11]

BTW... I vaguely recall shizer being German for it, but it is 14 years since I was in a German lesson, so I might be wrong!

it's "Scheisse" :) (Nopez, I'm not German, I'm Dutch :))

Tranz(Posted 2003) [#12]
you could save yourself alot of texture space by overlapping the wings on that first texture.

You have eight parts that use what looks like the same texture, just overlap the UV's and you can use just one area of texture for all of those parts.

There are a several other areas that look like you could do the same.

That would leave you MORE room on the texture for important things, like a larger area for the cockpit.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2003) [#13]
Yeah I noticed I could do that when I did the Space Station..

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2003) [#14]
Heres another I did tonight.

The More I do the better I get. Texturing is still a wee bit hard. but I think the task of actually un wrapping the models is the bit thats most difficult.

Second Chance(Posted 2003) [#15]
Is that texture flipped (mirrored)? The numbers on the wings are upside-down; on both sides. If that's correct nevermind. Looks neat though, interesting design :)