TrueHero 2: the Northern Archipelago

Community Forums/Showcase/TrueHero 2: the Northern Archipelago

willysoft(Posted 2003) [#1]
willysoft.co.uk is proud to announce the release of TrueHero 2: the Northern Archipelago.
TrueHero 2 is the follow-up to the hugely successful on-line text-based adventure TrueHero.
The new game takes the form of a series of downloadable chapters, written in Blitz Basic 2D.
For more details, downloads, etc., please visit the TrueHero 2 page at http://www.willysoft.co.uk/truehero2.htm

Warren(Posted 2003) [#2]
A quick comment : you guys REALLY need to make it obvious what words you can click on and which ones you can't. Scanning the text with my mouse, looking for a clickable word is the definition of unfun. A simple underline or bolding them would work. Let the internet be your guide.

Just an idea ...

willysoft(Posted 2003) [#3]
Just like on some internet sites, the words CHANGE COLOUR on mouse hover. We feel that an underline wouldn't be in keeping with the graphical style.

If you're finding it difficult seeing the colour change (the clickable text turns blue), you should increase the window size or run the game in full screen mode.

Full instructions can be found in the accompanying documentation, "The Book of Deeds".

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ian
www.willysoft.co.uk

Warren(Posted 2003) [#4]
I was in full screen.

I'm just saying that I think bolding the words or whatever would help the user play the game you intended, rather than the mini-game that's in there now called "find the hidden hyperlinks".

willysoft(Posted 2003) [#5]
The new game is based on the successful on-line (i.e. internet) game TrueHero, in which clickable words change to blue when you hover over them.

The idea of both games is that the player reads the text, and gets on the author's wavelength. If clickable words were easily identifiable, players would merely home in on them and ignore everything else, rendering the game completely "unfun".

The "mini-game" you describe is therefore part of the whole. Perhaps it's just not your cup of tea.

Regards,
Ian
www.willysoft.co.uk

poopla(Posted 2003) [#6]
Look, starttripper, he's giving you a piece of advice that you SHOULD follow. Plainly enough, you should not tell your potential users/buyers they are wrong, and make this an optional feature. I for one wont be even looking into this simply because you appear to find your way as the only way. Not good for a technical service type situation. "Sir, if you can't see the text, we plainly don't care". Get it? :). Cmon, at least make his request optional?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#7]
while having the words change color when you hover over them is an option, i think that i would have to agree with the suggestions above... make the 'hot' words immediately recognizable...

... that would seem to be the more intuitive and fun method as opposed to running the mouse over all the text just to find em.

... just a lil input, i hope it helps.

(easy T-B... eeeasy :) )

--Mike