Soccer MMORPG - Re: Programmers wanted

Community Forums/Showcase/Soccer MMORPG - Re: Programmers wanted

Lilprog(Posted 2003) [#1]
Ok, here is some clarification to my previous post. I am looking for some help with my zelda style game, but I have been checking out MMORPG's and heard about UltimatebaseballOnline, which is going to be the first Sports mmorpg. its pretty cool, I was thinking of other sports that could be done, and it would seem that football and basketball would be challenging because of the AI that is needed. But one I think could be done is soccer. The AI needed for a soccer game wouldnt be as complicated as other sports because the interaction isnt as complicated(when I say AI im referring to the program figuring out the appropriate interaction between players when theres a tackle or a pass or a steal etc...). If possible I would like to put a team together to make a project and give this a shot. Theres no gaurentee that we could get it done or even make any money with it, so if your looking to get rich quick this isnt for you. Although if we get it that far and it does make us money that is cool too. I think the project it self is very feesible, certainly the network code is there and with a max of 40 players connected to one game at a time, I think its very realistic that it could have little if any lag depending on what connections everyone has. Here is what I would forsee as what we would need for a team if you are interested please drop a line here on the forum, or feel free to discuss the possibility:

Team Leaders (3)

3 people who could also be involved with other parts of the project who would help coordinate the project. They would keep everything organized and moving forward as well as work with any online promotion(websites etc...). They would also be involved with any testing phases...

Main Programmers (3-4)

3-4 People to create a fast yet slick engine that can be adapted for detail( for those with a slower connection). They would also need to be able to create the Front End Interface, menus etc...

Network Programmers (2)

2 People to work with the main programmers on the client side, and create a server side program. They would need to develop a strategy for what would remain client side / what would be server side, and impliment it into action.

Graphics Designers (3-4)

3-4 people to design all the 2D menu graphics, and layouts, all 3d models, including players, stadiums, and the like, as well as creating logos and themes for the game. Would not necessarily need any blitz experience, but Im sure it would be a bonus.

Sound Designers (2)

2 People to find or create all the sound effects needed for the game from music for the menus, to the beeps and blips, to the sounds on the field.

Now UBO has been a 3 year going on 4 project, and I know that most MMORPG's take longer than expected, but UBO started from scratch and has put a major focus on finding a publisher which has slowed down their bug improvement. One of the advantages of Blitz(at least I think), is that with the power and ease of blitz you can create things alot quicker than starting an engine from scratch. I think we could get something in the testing phase in well under a year....

Thoughts? Comments? Intersted, please reply to this message....

Rob

ckob(Posted 2003) [#2]
So your planning on making 2 seperate mmorpg's at the smae time then? because on your site you speak of a space mmorpg planned for release in 2004 thats gonna be tough dude :)

DarkEagle(Posted 2003) [#3]
you paying dude?

GfK(Posted 2003) [#4]
feel free to discuss the possibility
Ok...

May I ask what you yourself are gonna do? :)

The AI needed for a soccer game wouldnt be as complicated as other sports because the interaction isnt as complicated
Surely you jest?! I can think of very few sports with AI *as* complicated!

Theres no gaurentee that we could get it done
If you don't mind me saying, that's totally the wrong frame of mind to be in even before your project has started - I doubt you'll find many people interested in spending/wasting time on a project that might not see the light of day.

certainly the network code is there and with a max of 40 players connected to one game at a time
Erm... in football (I shall call it Soccer for now) there's 11 players per team, 2 teams, so that's 22. What are the other 18 participants going to be doing? Not sitting on the subs bench surely?

On the whole I don't think you've thought this through properly.

Lilprog(Posted 2003) [#5]
Ok, first of all, the other mmorpg is my brothers project, not mine so need to worry there. As for money, there is no money to back the project, this would be just like project plasma or any other one, something we work at, if we get it to the point where it can make money thats awesome if not well so be it.

As for the comments above:

>Ok...
>
>May I ask what you yourself are gonna do? :)

I would be happy to be a team leader and a main programmer, those are my strengths.

>Surely you jest?! I can think of very few sports with AI >*as* complicated!

You forget its an mmorpg, meaning every player on the field is human controlled. Compared to football where you have lineman basically wrestling and millions of tackle animations, or basketball where you have people pushing in the post and steals and dunks and lots of fancy things to figure out soccer is a little more basic in the fact that you only have a few ways to tackle and a few outcomes of a tackle... Most of the outcomes are based on position which is determined by the players not by AI. Since every player on the field is human controlled, its alot easier.

>If you don't mind me saying, that's totally the wrong >frame of mind to be in even before your project has >started - I doubt you'll find many people interested in >spending/wasting time on a project that might not see the >light of day.

Is there ever a guarentee? Im not saying we wont try to finish, but we might get half way into this and find that blitz isnt feesible for doing an mmorpg of this nature at a high enough speed to be a succesful game. Its uncharted waters, we might find its not possible to do.

>Erm... in football (I shall call it Soccer for now) >there's 11 players per team, 2 teams, so that's 22. What >are the other 18 participants going to be doing? Not >sitting on the subs bench surely?
>
>On the whole I don't think you've thought this through >properly.

I was merely saying with a max of 40 people logged in that in theory it would be feesible to do without much lag. Im not saying that there would always be 40 people logged in, although the idea is that you are playing the role of a coach or player, and there might be people who would want to be virtual coaches who watched from the sidelines etc....

On the contrary I have put some thought into it, but there is alot of unexplored territory here.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#6]
why would anyone want to just stay back as a defender and wait while your team is upfield, you'd get everyone running all over, however if something like this did work it would be great because once someone did get a organised team then we'd see proper playing and teamwork.

RetroBooster(Posted 2003) [#7]
< Is there ever a guarentee? Im not saying we wont try to finish, but we might get half way into this and find that blitz isnt feesible for doing an mmorpg of this nature at a high enough speed to be a succesful game. Its uncharted waters, we might find its not possible to do. >

You may,but when you do, know it's not blitz, but rather the quality of your work, the language can easily pull it off.

Team Leaders (3)
Main Programmers (3-4)
Network Programmers (2)
Graphics Designers (3-4)
Sound Designers (2)

3+4+2+4+2 = 15

Good lord, 15 people, you know what your asking for rite? (And no I'm not critisizing the size of the team you wanna set up since it's a MMO) But how in the world do you expect the proper people to join you? There is very few truely skilled programmers here that don't already have a project and even if they don't have one they are in most cases not going to join just anyone that has an "idea", my advice to you is get some skilled people you know together and deliver a playable techdemo (it realy doesn't take 15 peepz to realise that), then come back and post a job wanted add for the people you need...

You may want to ask yourself, how many online gamedev/modding projects you have "succesfully" ran before with teams of over 7 ACTIVE participants,if the answer isn't atleast one you might wanna think about a simpler game concept like maybe a basic online football game with player hosted servers and make your team requirements a bit more reasonable!

Don't take this as an insult, it's just good advice, good luck with it!

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#8]
it's just good advice

No it's not. It's VERY good advice. ;)

Lilprog(Posted 2003) [#9]
Thanks for everyones input!

Rob

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#10]
since when is Football an RPG?? hehe

Fry Crayola(Posted 2003) [#11]
Since always in this case, where you control only one player (and hence play a game in a role... see what I did there?)

Sounds interesting, but the AI for football (or soccer to you) games is still quite complicated. You've a multitude of different passing options, shooting options... it's not all kick and rush.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2003) [#12]
> What are the other 18 participants going to be doing?

Well that's easy. It's for the players controlling the football hooligans.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#13]
Very interesting concept and it would be quite feasable - Donīt underestimate the A.I requirement. You canīt guarantee that you will always have 22 human players plus a ref and 2 linesmen - I canīt see anyone wanting to be a linesman but being the ref would be quite fun.
You would have to have AI players or bots as well to make up the teams. You could also have a 5 -a- side option to reduce the need for so many numbers - in fact I would start with 5-a-side first and if successful then move to the 11-a-side game.
The AI would be a cinch - how many footballers with an IQ over 25 do you know ? ;)
Seriously - the AI would be as complicated as any other sport - Football or Soccer as known in the USA is after all the īBeautiful Gameī and this would have to be reflected in the gameplay - But its certainly not an impossible task.

Donīt let the īMerchants of Doomī put you off totally You very sensible mapped out what you thought would be a requirement purely for discussion and suddenly you are deluged with - What are you gonna do ? What have you done before ? How many teams have you managed ? type answers - It always happens but mixed in there is some very good advice!

SabataRH(Posted 2003) [#14]
The abbv. MMO stand for 'massive multiplayer online'... I wouldn't go as far as calling a soccer game an rpg or an MMO.. How about Multiplayer Sporting Game? - MSG lol.

Anyways.. good luck to you.