Lifey

Community Forums/Showcase/Lifey

Al Mackey(Posted 2003) [#1]
I'm about to release my first complete (sort of) B3D project, and I thought I'd give you guys a preview. It's a simple simulation of plants growing and evolving on an island. That's right, now you don't have to go outside to enjoy watching the grass grow!

It doesn't really "do" anything like a game does, but it was a very sucsessful test of my ability to balance a chaotic system, and to do OO-ish stuff in Blitz.

Download here.

Screenshot:

Tell me what you think...

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#2]
Looks really interesting... downloading...

Okay... I like it... I think you need to put some more special fx in it so it look prettier, particle bursts or something when they spawn.

I think the plants need to grow bigger too (into trees if necessary), and the way they die isn't very interesting as it looks like you've just reversed the animation.

All that aside, looked at it for about 5-10 minutes and thought... oooh that's quite cool...

I think if you added more variation, weather fx, and special fx people would sit there for a lot longer.

Great tech demo!

googlemesilly(Posted 2003) [#3]
Thanks Al Mackey for that !

I don't have a garden, now I can enjoy
watching grass grow in the comfort of
my own home !!! haha :)

Downloading now ...

MADJON76(Posted 2003) [#4]
downloading...
had a similar idea.. nice to see someone do it though!

googlemesilly(Posted 2003) [#5]
I like it !
How many lines of code did this take ?
Are you going to expand on this ?
It's actually fun to watch ! haha

S/D

Al Mackey(Posted 2003) [#6]
It's about 1300 lines.. I was also planning to add some insects that would live on and around the plants, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to tackle that yet.

googlemesilly(Posted 2003) [#7]
hope you do !
its almost like a virtual world !
keep us all posted !

thanks !

S/D

Fluke(Posted 2003) [#8]
If you're thinking of adding insect/animal life, check out an old ST game called Eco - remake time perhaps?!

googlemesilly(Posted 2003) [#9]
ST as in Atari ????

Fluke(Posted 2003) [#10]
Yep - can't remember who it was by though...