Multiplayer Pong Test

Community Forums/Showcase/Multiplayer Pong Test

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#1]
I realy need your help on this guys it's kinda still beta but i need ppl to tes the multiplayer "playability" for me to move on. And im releasing this lil demo for you.

download http://www.balpoint.com/Pong.rar
sfx version (for those without winrar) : http://www.balpoint.com/Pong.exe

plz let me know :
- FPS
- SYSTEM SPECS
- LAGG? Y/N/ALOT
- OPINION

* keep in mind it's far from finished.....
* edit user.dat in notepad to change port settins n sutch...

I forgot to mention F1 is for ingame chat....

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#2]
cmon ppl give a guy a break....

WendellM(Posted 2003) [#3]
I'm finishing up a card game that uses BlitzPlay Pro, and I've found it essential to be able to test it with two instances running on my machine via 127.0.0.1.

So, I tried running two local instances of your game that way, and they did connect. At that point, the game updates were only running on the second one I launched (the client). When I clicked on the host, it then started updating, but the client immediately stopped, and I was later unable to switch back to the client. When I closed the host, the client then started updating again.

System Monitor shows that your program is using 100% of the CPU cycles in typical Blitz fashion, so perhaps only one instance can actually run at a given time? Adding a Delay command might(?) give the other instance a chance to update which would allow for local testing on one machine. My card game uses 100% but both instances run fine (though there's less action in it than your Pong and it only does network updates at the end of each hand).

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#4]
then u did something wrong, because i to tested it on a local host and 2 instances. And i've played it with some friends and it works. Of you host all you c are 2 paddles until a client connects. So first start up when asked to host > Y > Enter. Then your paddle can move but the clients paddle is static. Untill a client connects. Then the client and host can play. If you use the client window the right (client) paddle will move (mouse controlled) if you switch to the host screen the left (host) paddle will move (also mouse). Now the paddles update correctly that is an established fact. The chat works perfectly also fact. now the problem is the ball. The ball is is only updated on collition (when it shoudl change direction) this would save me lag. Now it works only it takes time for the packet to arrive so it's causes a "lag effect" This is verry troublesome because i have to predict where the ball is gonna hit and update it on the client before it hits (a wall/paddle). Thats where cubic splining might come in handy but im using bp lite so ive gotto sim that. Im seriously considering buyig BP Pro but im not quite convinced yet.....hey 10x for testing anyway. Coul you test it again...I asked you all to test this because if only test on local host i experience no lag and indeed 100% cpu. And with friends i also experience lag but i cant get the correct feedback...

also the info in the user.dat file
first line = username
secondline = for client = port to open on multiplay
thirdline = for host = port to open ||| for client = host port to connect to
fourthline = last used ip....

P.S If you want to join and leav the IP blank it'll auto join on local host....Also if the client disconnects the host will be notified after 15 to 30 secs...

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#5]
Hellloo ppl please help a guy out here....

WendellM(Posted 2003) [#6]
I've tried again, but it still behaves the same for me. Both instances are running and communicating with each other, and chat works (slowly), but only one is updating properly while the other updates very infrequently.

By clicking back and forth between them, I can eventually shift the focus to the other which starts its ball and paddle updating, but then the first one only updates once every few seconds. If I repeatedly click on the window bar at the top of the client, the host updates with each click (the ball briefly moves as shown in the client, then stops). I've tried turning off all tasks but Explorer, Systray, and your game just in case ZoneAlarm or something else were interfering, but there's no change.

Anyway:

FPS: On active window, ~85 (monitor refresh).

SYSTEM SPECS: 1.4 GHz Athlon, 512 megs RAM, GeForce3 Ti 200 with latest, "Blitz-friendly" drivers, Windows 98SE, DirectX 8.1

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#7]
how weird is that ive played it with 25 ppl now and no complaints except for the ball updating incorrecty. Also works on localhost for me....

Id like to add cubic spline interpolation for the ball updating but from the term "cubic" i deduct that this technique is for predicting movement in 3d worlds whilst mine is just a simple 2d game. So i'll need to write functions that predict on what position the ball is going to hit so it's updated on time and not when it's 2 late.

Wendel It looks like you're the only one testing my stuff and i thank you. My next post will be untill i solve this problem....bye....