ProPixel 2D v0.172b

Community Forums/Showcase/ProPixel 2D v0.172b

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi all,

Just to let those of you know who are interested in this little gem, that the latest beta-demo is available to download from the showcase. If anyone is stuck with how to use it feel free to either email me or drop me a line on this topic.

Screen Shot 1
Screen Shot 2
Screen Shot 3

[a http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/showcase/showcase_showentry.pl?id=snarty05122003205212&comments=no"]ProPixel 2D Showcase and Download[/a]

Still a few things to add, and tidy up, but this should now be a stable beta. There are a few known issues, but these are not enough to cause a system hang etc.

As always, feedback is appreciated :)

Grisu(Posted 2003) [#2]
Great, have been waiting for this!

Downloading... :)

Yappy(Posted 2003) [#3]
lovely, lovely, lovely, and...... lovely :)

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#4]
Cheers chaps :D

Working on it frantically, I should hopefully be starting on the manual in a couple of weeks.

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#5]
Now up to v0.178b for those interested. More stable, with Vertical shearing with Brush tools, oh, and I finally got around to giving flood fill it's own cursor.

Dynamo(Posted 2003) [#6]
Very cool stuff! Makes me want to do something retro! :D

Grisu(Posted 2003) [#7]
btw: When can I start my translation work? :)

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#8]
Cheers Dynamo :)

Grisu, well, ermmm... I need to write the manual still. Something I'm not looking forward to, but, has to be done.

On an update side of things, I've finally manage to include a nice curve tool. It's a 7 point bezier, but, after a few days of banging my head against a brick wall, I managed to create the 7 points from just 3 user defined points (start, mouse, end). So, it's now just a case of click, click and drag to create a smooth 7 point bezier curve (double bezier). This tool can be used with any type of brush.

Next on the list is the spray can with intensity and area settings. This tool can also be used with any type of brush.

Finally at the point where I'm starting to wrap this up.

Dynamo(Posted 2003) [#9]
Wow, the bezier tool sounds nice. I may end up using this as I have an idea for a game what will need lots of little sprites lol. [edit]never mind, i just read the rest of the post[/edit]

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#10]
The curve and Text tools are now, and it's also fallen into good old restriction country now. Mainly due to it being commercial and having a public unlocked beta would be, ermm, not clever.

Verious other touches, starting to tie up the lose ends now, and the actual v1.00 demo is only a few days away, closely followed by the full version for those who have already purchased (manuals will be emailed not long after).

Hope those using it enjoy using it as much as I. (Tip: Install this one somewhere else so you can use the less featured, but less annoying version still).

Links at the top.

EOF(Posted 2003) [#11]
From your site:

Input Device :- Mouse, Tablet or Keyboard

Does the keyboard input refer to shortcuts like DPaint?
Things like D for draw, L for line, +/- to change brush size etc .. ?

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#12]
The keyboard side does indeed give access to just about everything, even pointer control.

Hold Shift with the cursors. Although obviously a combo of Keyboard + Mouse/Tablet would be far more useful than just a keyboard.

EOF(Posted 2003) [#13]
Top man.

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#14]
:)

Just to note, v0.206 is now up, just had a major bug and glitch squashing session with my beta team, should be running far better.

Also to note, on an experimental side, I have unlocked x2 and x3 zooming, also, you can now draw shapes with User Brushes.

:)

Dragon57(Posted 2003) [#15]
I just tried the v0.206b version and noticed the circle tool does not honor the middle and right mouse button colors. No matter which button you use to draw the circle, the program paints using the color set for the left button. Intentional, bug?

Great otherwise, I love it.

Martin Parrott

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#16]
Cheers for that, was a very strange bug indeed, for some obscure reason I had circle insisting it must be white. I say strange since they all have the same controlling loop.

Glad you like it, certainly 3000% better than the first ProPixel ;)

soja(Posted 2003) [#17]
I have a question (I just saw the announcement on the homepage). What is a Pixel Art Tool? I've never used anything like that on the Amiga (or at least I never called anything that) so I'm unfamiliar with it.

In all earnestness, what is the difference between using something like that, and say, just zooming up really close in Photoshop and turning off anti-aliasing?

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#18]
Nothing, but you don't just zoom up and draw stuff. They are have dedicated pixel tools. An example on the Amiga would be DPaint or PPaint. All the tools there are ones you will need, and the actual approach made when creating pixel work is entirely different.

There are some who prefere all the fancy effects etc, but most of the effect are unused or have similar results. This weeds out the chaf. But, it will still be a case of each to their own. For example, those who are intent on using MSPaint do so because nothing else is quite geared to do it's job, or the tools that can do the job are 16 menus and 4 setting screens away.

Anyhow, just updated to v0.211b, the bug above has gone along with a couple of others, and some full version only additions.

Link here: [a http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/showcase/showcase_showentry.pl?id=snarty05122003205212&comments=no"]ProPixel Showcase & Download[/a]

Zster(Posted 2003) [#19]
What formats will one be able to save to in the final version as it seems to only want to save to it's own format?

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#20]
Hi Zster,

The main ones you will be able to save to are:

BMP,PNG : Palettised,Greyscale and 24bit
JPG : 5 Levels of Compresssion/Quality + Greyscale
IFF, ICO, TGA, TIFF.

You will also be able to save using PPG, which is ProPixels full file format, this will come with a .decls and .bb loader. PPG has 10 levels of compression (PP2D is level 1, the worst), and will be able to save in Palettised, Greyscale, 16bit and 24bit.

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#21]
Ok, for those interested, I have just finalised the .PPG format. And the results are listed below. There is no GIF comparisson until I test with palettised .PPG's.

I will be supplying both Blitz source, .decls and .dll for the PPG Image so you can easily load them into Blitz. They are extremely fast at decompression, as they use LZO technology and therefore are under OpenSource copyright.
320x240 24bit Image:

1st:- PNG = 3.19k
2nd:- PPG = 4.56k (L10)
3rd:- PP2D = 8.37k
4th:- JPG 19.1k (Highest Quality, Lossy)
5th:- BMP = 225k

NB: All apart from JPG are Lossless.

ckob(Posted 2003) [#22]
if I buy it will I get the girl in screenshot2?

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#23]
if I buy it will I get the girl in screenshot2.

LOL! If I said yes, would that be false advertising? ;)

ckob(Posted 2003) [#24]
lol ...nahh