Some more ships... (pictures warning!)

Community Forums/Showcase/Some more ships... (pictures warning!)

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#1]

All created in Milkshape, textured with Lithunwrap and rendered in Blitz.

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#2]
Niiicee man this looks cool

GfK(Posted 2003) [#3]
They look cool apart from the third one. It looks like a futuristic football referee's whistle.

What game is this for??

skn3(Posted 2003) [#4]
yeah agree with GFX

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#5]
I kinda like the third one - its unconventional, different and therefore original.

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#6]
Awesome. To me, what matters about the third one is how it would move. Are you going to make a gmae with these? if you are then try and make it so that when the little scouts acccelerate, they pitch upwards, showing that they don't really concentrate on stability/aiming, instead there all about speed. the fighter should be fast, but be able to turn well, and the "bug ship", if it's a transport ship should be slow,but well armed. Ofcourse, you don't have to listen to me, I was just thinking that if people saw the ships moving in a way reflecting there shape and use, it would make alot more sense. Wow. you really have a nice reflection/shininess strategy there as those renders are direct from blitz. Low-poly too!

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#7]
Thanks for the comments guys... just done another one...

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#8]
Whoah. that last ones really cool. I think it's your best.

ashmantle(Posted 2003) [#9]
I really like the bug ship.. all shiny and stuff ;)

Grisu(Posted 2003) [#10]
I prefer the first one as well. Not that normal stuff you see all over the place... something special!

*sigh, cause Grisu is not good at 3D stuff*

RetroBooster(Posted 2003) [#11]
I would suggest trying to make a proper looking ship without using the sphereical environment mapping, first, wether you want to apply it afterwards or not it'll improve your model quality, it's pretty clear that appart from the environment map these textures themselves bear little detail yet... Sorry to be the critic but then again it's only meanth to help. Also may I ask what game these are for?

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#12]
Retro, You're right, there's not a whole lot of detail on the textures, each model only has 1 surface using a 128x128 texture. The relection map is also 128x128

With regards to the game I'm not too concerned about the detail as these ships won't be viewed up close. I'm doing a Xenon2 / Uriduim style game that plays like a 2D game but uses 3D graphics, and therefore there are going to be a lot of ships on screen at one time. Hence bold colours rather than fine detail.

The main ship has more detail as this will sometimes be viewed up close. For example when it docks with the mothership to enter the shop or you enter the core of a big ship you're trying to destroy, I'm going to have a 3D engine based cut scene.

RetroBooster(Posted 2003) [#13]
IC, lemme just give you one piece of advice tho, if that game is top down... the camera won't rotate so the reflection maps won't move either, so bake a combined texture of the spherical reflection map and the primary texture and you'll save yourself a whole texture per ship!
(obviously you can still use the multitextured ships for the 3d sequences) but that should save you a TON in preformance.

Good luck with it!

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#14]
The camera doesn't move much, but the ships roll around all over the place so the relection maps do work rather well.

It's not top down it's more side on at 45 degrees so you see the tops and sides of things.

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#15]
Nice. I like em all. the "whistle" one looks like slave I to me - which is cool.