Off The Shelf FPS

Community Forums/Showcase/Off The Shelf FPS

Techlord(Posted 2003) [#1]
Im going to build an FPS using freely contributed code libraries and media from the blitz community. The goal is to 'glue' these 'Off The Shelf' components together without making heavy modification to create a working game as quickly as possible.

So far heres my FPS Ingredient List:

** User Interface **
BlitzUI by Fullernator

** Particle **
Single Surface Particle System by elias_t

** Physics **
Blitz Entity Physics Pack by Miracle

** Renderer **
TBD

** AI **
TBD

** Network **
TBD

** Editor **
TBD

Bolo_Loco(Posted 2003) [#2]
huuu....

I wish you luck !!!!

This project will be a very hard piece of work .

bolo

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#3]
Definitly Hard.

Sadly I have nothing to contribute, as I haven't really tried modelling low-poly, and am currently writing my first game using all free media except for the level and the main charachter, who is made out of blitz primitives-need I say more.

Anyway, I think it's a good idea, but I'm not sure that you should use physics if you really want to do a fast fps. I mean sure, in a good quality fps, physics are desirable, but for a Doom II like fps, completly unneccessary. Not to say that Doom II wasn't good quality for it's time, in fact, I still like playing it. Also, I don't know if there are any blitz libraries for AI, as it's so general, unless you are talking about a pathfinding library.

Good luck!!!

*(Posted 2003) [#4]
IMHO off the shelf fps's are the bane of the PC Games world the main problem I come across is the 'simularity' between the engines. I know publishers push for this but I would sooner see loads of home grown engines rather than loads of games that just use one or two particular engines.

Who can remember the difference Serious Sam made to the FPS world it showed you didnt need claustraphobic corridors you could have vast expanses populated with tons of monsters :)

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#5]
Techlord - its a very interesting idea and maybe this should have been the approach with Project Plasma.

EbolaBoy(Posted 2003) [#6]
I think this is a great idea and something this is long overdue. Granted, EdzUp's concern is completely valid but I think the idea of the project is to create a simple base to work from. If the code and libraries were heavily commented and straight forward, people like me (currently unable to code myself out of a paper bag) could take it and tweak it to the level of our ability, creating a whole new personalized engine. Is there really a need to constantly reinvent the wheel? With proper documentation, it could also be a wonderful learning tool for both the Blitz3D syntax and programming concepts that elude most beginners.

I am surprised that something like this hasn't been put together before. Sure there are engines out there but I don't think that they are really designed to be easily worked off of. You use them as they are which produces very clone like games. However, if it was kept simple and explained thoroughly, it would be a wonderful spring board! (IMHO) ^_~