BRICKMAN (platform) test is available

Community Forums/Showcase/BRICKMAN (platform) test is available

ryan scott(Posted 2003) [#1]
BRICKMAN test version is now available for download!

What is BRICKMAN, you ask? My new platformer written in Blitz of course. If you like classic platformers you might like this game.

It's a test version, so pls read the opening screen as the controls are slightly different than what it says in the How To Play page (which you should look at too ;)

There's 8 levels, all of them a little difficult for newbies.

F1/F2 go back and forth between levels if you want to try them without finishing a level.

http://www.techhouseliving.com/fortressgamestudio/brickman.zip

I would like any constructive criticism!

Ryan Scott
TechHouse Living

ps: The backgrounds are temporary, ripped from the net, so no need to comment on those :)

ryan scott(Posted 2003) [#2]
it just came to my attention that this game doesn't run so well unless you've got a pretty fast computer. i will be fixing this shortly and will post an update.

Uhfgood(Posted 2003) [#3]
I didn't get very far but i have a few suggestions ...

nice start btw.

-The help screen isn't up for long enough.
-He drops straight down when you let go of the
arrow key, you need the x to ramp down gradually

I went all the way to the right side, took the
"elevator" up to the next level, and then tried
to get across the brick with the fire on it,
whenever i cleared the fire, i hit the pole, he
slides straight down, and for some reason dies
when he hits the ground. I would go as far as to
say, don't let him die from falling almost at all.
The only times he should die from falling is when
you provide a game on the ground of the level (that
is the very bottom of the level if you make a gap
he should die from jumping in there, think super mario
bros.)

Uhfgood

Angus(Posted 2003) [#4]
Hi. Played through a few levels, it kept my interest quite well.

The fall-kill thing can be annoying in platform games, but I can see that it does form part of the puzzley nature of this one, with certain scenery allowing a fall and whatnot. You make the point that the levels aren't the exactly complete, good level design should make it a pretty worthwhile gameplay device.

I liked the graphics, stylish and smart. You also point out that the backgrounds are temporary. A coherent appearance does a lot for a game. Although those backgrounds are pretty, they do jar with the clean, bold style of the foregrounds. I guess you know this, but what the hell.

Lastly, the character-scenery collisions need to be tighter!

Often as your character lands, his feet sink into the scenery. I've coded several platform engines myself, and know what an arse this sort of thing can be, but I think it's absolutely worth getting right. It'll make the player feel as though they're in complete control.

I dont know exactly what you're doing at the moment, but I assume that at the start of a frame, you're checking to see if the character is "in" some scenery, and pop him out if he is, then continue with his control. I'd do the control first, see if he's in scenery, pop him out, then end the frame.

I did have fun playing this game! Hope to see more!

ryan scott(Posted 2003) [#5]
for those of you who were turned off by a 20 meg download - I just got it down to TWO megs. Much better. Try it!

googlemesilly(Posted 2003) [#6]
Hi Ryan

I think the graphics are nice and clear.
It could be more colourful.
I agree you die to easily and it can be
frustrating. Maybe if he fell he gets
a bit injured (lose health) but not die
otherwise its a bit hard ... Let us
know when u update it !!

Dr Derek Doctors(Posted 2003) [#7]
I really like it. There are niggles like falling into blocks and the collision detection seems a little suspect, but it's nicely difficult and has plenty of cool gameplay elements.

googlemesilly(Posted 2003) [#8]
probably difficult levels are better then !
I thought it was a bit hard with all the dying ! lol

ryan scott(Posted 2003) [#9]
i do believe i fixed the character/background collision detection and you do not sink into the blocks anymore! let me know if it's still goofy. i think it's good now however.

thanks for all the useful feedback everyone!

Dr Derek Doctors(Posted 2003) [#10]
Yeah, the collision is far better now, the game is improved as a result. Looking forward to this getting finished a lot!

Angus(Posted 2003) [#11]
Much better now. Makes the game feel nice and slick.

What we need next are loads and loads of devious levels!

Dr Derek Doctors(Posted 2003) [#12]
And some kind of Anti-Pigeon Landmine... ;)

ryan scott(Posted 2003) [#13]
i'm glad it's being played and thanks for all the feedback! i'm going to be adding more features, something to kill those damn pigeons!

i just added music to the game, feedback welcome. it's temporary, but seems like a good fun sound.

try the editor if you are interested. hit E. you can make new levels by looking around in the directory structure. just copy a directory to make a new one under /levels and bickety-bam you have a new one. i'll make the editor more user friendly and i'll make some kind of method for people to share levels with each other online if i get feedback to do so.

is anyone interested in global highscore list maybe (since levels are editable) with 'fastest time' or some other way to rank achievement?

ryan scott(Posted 2003) [#14]
made some changes!

there's now ropes you can swing on to get from area to area. still needs work, but plays pretty nice.

there is a way to get rid of pigeons, but i'm not sure i'm leaving this in the final game. if you hit SPACE, you can throw a paintbrush at the pigeons. They will fly away if you hit them, without making a mess on the ground.

i might use the paintbrushes to cause fireballs to change direction, too.

let me know what you think of the paintbrushes, if it's a distraction or what.

http://www.techhouseliving.com/fortressgamestudio/brickman.zip

ps there's about 10 levels now, all of them difficult!

ps: press L to give yourself a new free life.

ryan scott(Posted 2003) [#15]
throwing a paintbrush at a rope now causes it to start swinging. very useful if you need to reach a rope that's too far and it's not swinging already

throwing it at a fireball causes the fireball to zoom away. it's very satisfying!

try it and let me know what you think.

hit SPACE to throw the brushes.

ryan scott(Posted 2003) [#16]
i made a lot of changes, and started giving it a good polish. gameplay is tight!

there's 13 levels, and it's just a hell of a lot better than it was even a week ago.

give it a try!

http://www.techhouseliving.com/fortressgamestudio/

googlemesilly(Posted 2003) [#17]
ok ! :)

googlemesilly(Posted 2003) [#18]
keep up the good work !
i tried it out it seems faster and better !
i'll play it some more ...
when i climbed a ladder the screen did 'stutter' a bit
could be my computer tho' ...

Scott Williams(Posted 2003) [#19]
This little gamje is surprisingly good fun.

Scott.

ryan scott(Posted 2003) [#20]
thanks scott

i just posted another update. i added a lot of stuff.. for example fireballs will now set birds on fire, which is uniquely satisfying. also added another phase to the game, balanced gameplay a little more, and added to the levels.

ryan scott(Posted 2003) [#21]
i have changed the download link

http://www.techhouseliving.com/fortressgamestudio/BRICKMAN.exe is the link, although it's best to go to the home page now, which is below.

the game is essentially finished although i'm always adding more. i would definitely love feedback to fortressgame@...

Zster(Posted 2003) [#22]
Great game

I need to be able to redefine keys. The Z key jams with "up" and "left" wich means I can't jump left while climbing up a pole or ladder.

Been said before but I'll say it again for consistency the fall kill thing is really unfair as its not always that easy to judge a safe fall and you may unwittingly jump to your doom.

I agree BRICKMAN rocks!