Visual Blitz IDE

Community Forums/Showcase/Visual Blitz IDE

Red(Posted 2003) [#1]
[a http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/showcase/showcase_download.pl?id=eddy__blitzmaniac06182003224250&fileurl=http://perso.wanadoo.fr/eddy.dev/projet/VisualBlitz.zip]VisualBlitz IDE - dev version[/a] (237 ko)

Works With fullversion of B2D,B3D and B+ (needs BlitzCC compiler)

Added features :
----------
- Scintilla texting engine :-) powerful and easy to use
- splash screen
- menu
- popup menu
- toolbar + separators
- tabbers
- title control
- statusbar
- resizable code-explorer (colored treeview + splitterbar)
- color active line

- open (multi selection)
- new/save file
- save All /close All
- recent files
- reload last opened file at start

- run/debug
- run Last /debug Last
- create EXE (or SCR)

- syntaxhighlighting + dynamic highlight
- multi-level undo/redo
- folding functions
- un/Comment block
- un/Indent block
- auto-indent
- tabs size
- copy/cut/paste/select all
- find previous/find next/replace next/replace all/find All
- format clipboard before paste

- Code-Explorer Updating
- Quick Access Function
- Double-click to open a include file

- insert Color (HEX or R,G,B) / save Custom Colors
- insert template codes

- command help (F1) / command quick help (dbl-click)
- quick access help homepage / scancode picker / command reference

ToDo List :
----------
- calltips
- autocompletion
- browser for Blitz loading functions
- UPX
- change icon
- calculator

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#2]
Looks Good...Whats it coded in?

Red(Posted 2003) [#3]
Looks Good...Whats it coded in?
All is coded in PB.
I've tried to coded my IDE in B+ but there's no CallBack support.
It's a big problem because Scintilla mainly uses the notification messages.

Red(Posted 2003) [#4]
@DarkLordZ

I've seen your UPX shell.
Is UPX easy to use ? I want to add this feature in IDE to compress EXE files

UPX shell

Litobyte(Posted 2003) [#5]
Hey looks gooood !

Pity I bought UE 10.x
:-)

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#6]
"Is UPX easy to use ?"

AFAIK You can compress stuff through the command line. Adding the ability to select an icon and change apply it to the app would be good as well (you can do that through the command line with reshack)

Red(Posted 2003) [#7]
you can do that through the command line with reshack

eheh :)

soja(Posted 2003) [#8]
Here's what I did with UPX:

1) Create a shortcut to the UPX executable called UPX
2) Stick it in your SendTo folder (in XP, it's in your login-name's folder under Documents and Settings).
3) Edit the properties of the shortcut so that Target = <UPXpath>\UPX.exe -9

Now just right click on the executable, go to SendTo, and click UPX. Voila!

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#9]
Post the new version already.

It looks like you have done a lot with it. Awesome!

JaviCervera(Posted 2003) [#10]
Is UPX easy to use ? I want to add this feature in IDE to compress EXE files
upx --best file.exe
It couldn't be easier ;)

Aoneweb(Posted 2003) [#11]
where can I find Visual Blitz
Aone

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#12]
@Ed > 10x man. My utility has UPX BinaryIncluded. It has it's own commandline upxshell.exe -b filename.exe. SO it's the same with my app as with upx :P the choice is yours. If i was you id also include upx.exe with your project and write your own packer frontend......if you want i'll suply u my code....

what my upxshell has that other methods don't

and it's own commandline. for now only compress and decompressmethods are supportted. When a user compresses with my shell it uses teh followinf commandline. --best or 1to10 -qqq -f -v --overlay=copy --compress-exports=1 --compress-icons=2 --strip-relocs=1

This takes longer.... if id add --all-methods --all-filters it would take even longer....

My shell will support more then ever, but when i get the time....

Ed youre welcome to get my source to create you're on upx frontend for the ide. I did it in a quite simple method so i know you'll understand. i messed with scintilla for a bit cause i wanted to write my own ide as well but i could not realy get the hang of it...maby you could help me...but we'll talk later ;)

Red(Posted 2003) [#13]
< Download >

Beware, it's not complete, especially the CodeExplorer.
Look Todo list ;)

Red(Posted 2003) [#14]
Adding the ability to select an icon
and change apply it to the app would be good as well (you can do that through the command line with reshack)

I think I will add this feature too

Red(Posted 2003) [#15]
Create EXE added

Smurfpuss(Posted 2003) [#16]
strange like any one havent made it like visual basic so you can paint controls to almoste like building you vb apps and the controls you coulde use BlitzUi like that woulde be cool almoste like a BlitzUi editor and Blitz3D in one pack

Red(Posted 2003) [#17]
its just a enhanced IDE
I don't plan to create a VB-like

Only B+ has a GUI support

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#18]
Looking good, Ed! I'm keeping my eye on this one. I like the simplicity of it

Warren(Posted 2003) [#19]
Does this IDE have the concept of a "project"? I wrote my own little hacky IDE because I can't find one that has any concept of projects. I primarily use it for one thing ... when I hit the compile button, my IDE tells Blitz to compile the primary file in the project, NOT the one I currently have open for editing.

Makes my life a lot easier when I'm hitting the compile button a hundred times a night.

Red(Posted 2003) [#20]
Does this IDE have the concept of a "project"?
Not for the moment

when I hit the compile button, my IDE tells Blitz to compile the primary file in the project, NOT the one I currently have open for editing.
I understand your problem.

My first idea is to add header informations in the primary file.
like that :
;#HEADER
;%Author%
;%ProductName%
;%Version%
;%Date%
;%CustomIcon%
;#HEADER 

Red(Posted 2003) [#21]
I need :
- some template code
- an executable file compiled with B2D

Red(Posted 2003) [#22]
Yoohoo !! Code-Explorer is fully functional :) finally !!

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#23]
Epic -- F6 compiles and runs whatever was last compiled & run in the current session:

· Open your main code & includes in the Blitz IDE;
· Compile and run the main code;
· Edit your includes to your heart's content;
· Hit F6 in any tab to compile & run the last code you compiled & ran (ie. the main code)...

Red(Posted 2003) [#24]
?
- F5 run
- F6 run+debug

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#25]
BlitzSupport is talking about in the current default IDE

F5=Run
F6=Run again

I use this loads.

Red(Posted 2003) [#26]
Ok it's not a real problem :)

BlitzSupport prefer original IDE menu than mine.

Red(Posted 2003) [#27]
added :
- insert template code (examples from Halo)

bug fixed :
- splash screen
- code explorer switch

fund bug :
- undo / redo does not update code-explorer

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#28]
Lookin Good ED!

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#29]
Lookin Good ED!

Red(Posted 2003) [#30]
@DarkLordz
thanks twice :)

- I fixed the last bug in CodeExplorer (the UNDO/REDO bug)

what's next ....

Red(Posted 2003) [#31]
first folding test :

shot

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#32]
That looks cool :)

I have downloaded this version and it is definately the best so far. The syntax highlighting is loverly and quick.

I would like to be able to set the editor to use different versions of blitz. A toggle would state wether to use the blitz3d or blitz+ runtimes. In fact if you changed the file extensions so that b3d is saved as .bb3 and blitz+ .bbp then the editor could automatically select the correct version. I don't know :)

BTW the folding functions look nice as well.

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#33]
Something else, using the mouse wheel when over the code explorer scrolls the code rather than the explorer. I'd prefer it to scroll what it is currently over.

Red(Posted 2003) [#34]
The explorer does not keep the focus.
I can restore the normal scroll :)
no problemo

c0rnelius(Posted 2003) [#35]
i have used v0.6 and i am wondering if multiple instances of visualblitz has been suppressed especially when opening bb files in the explorer window.

will you be able to implement the quickhelp feature especially when clicking the Example link in the help file then the sample code will open?

steve.jr(Posted 2003) [#36]
This looks really good but I have a question

I like to install the various different IDE's into a directory D:\Code\BlitzPlus\IDE\VisualBlitz for example, so I can switch between IDE's. I installed VisualBlitz and when I try and run/compile or click on preferences nothing happens, while the HELP system works.

Here are the first few lines of the config.ini
[path]
blitzpath = d:\code\blitzplus\
bcc = d:\code\blitzplus\bin\blitzcc.exe
help = d:\code\blitzplus\help\index.html

Any ideas?

Red(Posted 2003) [#37]
I know...
I didn't realize that a lot of people have bought different versions of Blitz :)

I'm working on the preferences panel which will enable to switch between these versions, apart from what I'm developing at the moment, it means "folding function".

Bye

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#38]
I personaly save my Blitz+ code as .bp, and all my Blitz3d code as .bb, so I can associate the correct editor to it. I also use the extension to determine the compiler to use when I work in UltraEdit.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#39]

BlitzSupport prefer original IDE menu than mine.

Just seen this -- that's not necessarily true, Ed. I'm used to the current editor, and it does all I really need it to do, but this IDE looks very interesting and I will try it shortly!

JaviCervera(Posted 2003) [#40]
The 'keywords.ini' file contains the "Can't find blitzpath environment variable" message, and the Blitz font is not displayed, and keywords are not highlighted. The 'Run' and 'Debug' options does not seem to do anything. The paths in the 'config.ini' file are these:

blitzpath = D:\ARCHIVOS DE PROGRAMA\BLITZ3D\
bcc = D:\ARCHIVOS DE PROGRAMA\BLITZ3D\bin\blitzcc.exe
help = D:\ARCHIVOS DE PROGRAMA\BLITZ3D\help\index.html

which are correct

Pepsi(Posted 2003) [#41]
Hiya Ed, just tested your current IDE and it looks cool! :) I use Blitz3D so I guess thats why I cant run/debug/compile yet. Looking forward to your updates!

oh, will we be able to choose our own fonts to look at our code with?

CopperCircle(Posted 2003) [#42]
Hey Ed, when`s the next update? im really looking forward to folding functions, my Island Storm Project is now over 4500 lines, i need to fold it up :)

Keep up the good work and this will be a great IDE.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#43]
"Include" is your friend. ;)

CopperCircle(Posted 2003) [#44]
I know, but I don`t like having loads of files open for each function, I want folding functions, plus I like the Blitz IDE, but ed`s IDE is a nice enhancement.

Red(Posted 2003) [#45]
Sorry, I was away for reason of exams
Folding is not ready. I'm working on it.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#46]
CopperCircle

Not to take anything away from what Ed is doing, but I've been using Protean (http://www.proteanide.co.uk/) for a while now and it's really an amazing IDE.

Bremer(Posted 2003) [#47]
Just downloaded the IDE, but it won't compile. I have changed the ini file to point at my blitzcc. I'm using blitzPlus? Any suggestions. It look rather nice and the folding functions seems like a cool addon. I would like to be able to change the font to any font I like, is that possible. And also how about folding .gosubs for us people that don't do to much with functions?

Red(Posted 2003) [#48]
I use BATCH FILE to launch a compilation process.
Perhaps the problem is from that.

To use a another font You must change INI file for the moment. This font must be installed in Win Font folder.

Visual Blitz have not yet a preferences panel. Sorry.
I can't do all at the same time. :)

Pepsi(Posted 2003) [#49]
Ahhhh... I forgot that I needed to put in an environmental variable 'blitzpath' in me system that points to my blitz3d directory! Me fixs... Me happy now... :)

back a moment later... me very happy now! :) good job so far. I finally will start using this friendlier ide now. I got the config file all pertty'd up! :)

Thanks Ed!

Red(Posted 2003) [#50]
- File Updated -

Red(Posted 2003) [#51]
Link repaired sorry :)

Is there a scancode picker in Blitz2D help ?

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#52]
This is really good. I like it a lot. Blitz3d has a scancode picker but your toolbar doesn't pick it up. On my coinputer it is in 'help/commands/scancode/keyboard.htm' but it is looking in 'help/scancode...'

Also, and this is a really stupid little thing :), but the tabs are just 2 pixels too high. When I mouseover a toolbar button it covers up part of the document tabber. Petty I know... but it looks a bit naff :)

Wether you change that or not I really like this. Once you get it working with multiple compilers it will be the only ide I use.

Rather than having an options screen just to change the compiler I would have either a drop down box/ radio select buttons to let you choose which compiler to use. Or I would get people to add a comment at the top of their code specifying which compiler is to be used. I think this is the best option since it will automatically select the correct compiler rather than having to remember to switch yourself (I jump between blitz+ and blitz3d a lot)

Anyway this is great (did I say that already?)

Red(Posted 2003) [#53]
Some users had problems with compilation.
I wonder if this problem comes from BLITZPATH setting.

Does compiler use BLitzPATH to work ?

Pepsi(Posted 2003) [#54]
Ed, I just remmebered yesterday about mark mentioning how to get external ide's to work with the blitzcc.exe in his online blitz history text file. So, I followed his simple little instruction and your ide came to life for me. You might want to have that in your documentation or somewhere in plain view that blitzpath needs to be set.

Red(Posted 2003) [#55]
@Pepsi
I'll read it.

@Binary_Moon
This is really good. I like it a lot. Blitz3d has a scancode picker but your toolbar doesn't pick it up.
OK a real scancode picker
Also, and this is a really stupid little thing :), but the tabs are just 2 pixels too high.
I fix it

@CopperCircle
Im really looking forward to folding functions, my Island Storm Project is now over 4500 lines, i need to fold it up :)
I've finished Folding Function :) one hour ago
but I hesitate among many folding style.

*** I'll upload a new version as soon as possible ***

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#56]
ed - I have found a bug

Open two files, then scroll to the bottom of the page. Swap to the other file and you will see you are at the bottom of the page also, scroll to the top and then swap and the other file is now at the top.

Basically you need to change the scrollbar range and postion per file (i think).

Red(Posted 2003) [#57]
...change scroll bar range

@Binary
Thx, I didn't noticed that.

New Version available (folding added)

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#58]
Powerarchiver and Winrar 2.70 both fail to open your .rar file.

Red(Posted 2003) [#59]
hmmm OK i'll zip it

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#60]
use quickzip (www.quickzip.org). It's really good, free and opened this fine.

ed - This is cool. Better with every release

Red(Posted 2003) [#61]
Is there a way to convert ASCII code to scancode ?

CopperCircle(Posted 2003) [#62]
Folding Functions are great, I love this IDE, the only things I would add/change is, could you add auto command quick help, so that when the cursor is over a command, the command parameters are shown where the IDE says Hello World!
like when you press F1 in the Blitz IDE, and then the user could press F1 for a full description like you have now.

Difference(Posted 2003) [#63]
This version hangs on the loading screen with "Init texing engine" about 15-25% done.

Previous versions ran ok.
(See system specs in signature)

Pepsi(Posted 2003) [#64]
Function Folding! Awsome! 8)

Red(Posted 2003) [#65]
@Peter Scheutz

Have you update the BATCH file "\bin\compile.bat" ?

@Binary_Moon

I've fund the scroll bug, I am fixing it.

@CopperCircle

There will be 2 way to use quick help :
very old school
------------
F1 > help / double-click > quick help
old school
------------
F1 (first) > help / F1 (second) > quick help

What do you think about it ?
I chose this solution because everyone doesn't like the oldschool way :)

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#66]
Another bug. On y computer (win 2000) If i run the program it doesn't show up in the program menu at the bottom of the screen. This means if I minimise it I have to alt tab to get it back since it is... gone

Very strange. I will see if this happens with the next version you upload.

Mystik(Posted 2003) [#67]
Has anybody got this to run by double clicking a blitz .bb file. Can't seem to get it to work on mine.

I've associated .bb with the ide.

Also it insists on reloading the same file (last file I worked on) everytime I reload the editor. Even if I had no files open when I last closed it.

Steve.

Pepsi(Posted 2003) [#68]
Wanted to say I get the same results as Mystik.

Difference(Posted 2003) [#69]
@Peter Scheutz

Have you update the BATCH file "\bin\compile.bat" ?

No, I have not done anything but unzip the files.

I notice above, that you speak of an ini file.
There's not one in the zip file. Should there be one?

Just to make it clear: The program does not start at all. It stops with the splash screen.

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#70]
I get the same effect too. It always opens the last used file, even if I closed it.
I really like where this is going though.
It would be good if the user could set the extension for blitzbasic, blitzplus and blitz3d source so the editor can call the correct compiler with the correct blitzpath. Once that is implemented (and project) then this will be a truly excellent source editor. Well done so far, Ed!

update: If you hold CTRL-SHIFT and press a key, you will see a inverted symbol being inserted. what is that?

Also, inserting templates doesn't work. Is this correct?

Maybe it's clever to de-activate non-working menu items so us simple users don't get confused =]

CopperCircle(Posted 2003) [#71]
Ed, the help system sounds cool, iv been using the ide and it seems to work well, also "Wiebo" i have no prob inserting templates.

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#72]
Coppercircle:
You can call me just Wiebo, cos that's my real name. =] I just figured out I can right-click to insert. I just tried the keyboard shortcute mentioned in the menu and the menu itself...

Red(Posted 2003) [#73]
inverted symbol
It's a scintilla stuff not usefull for me to create code editor :P.
I must remove it.

to de-activate non-working menu items so us simple users don't get confused =]
Ok, however I may forget to implement them. :P

out I can right-click to insert. I just tried the keyboard shortcute mentioned in the menu
Ctrl+T will not insert Template code.

CopperCircle(Posted 2003) [#74]
Just re-installed my machine, how do you set the blitzpath environment variable in winXP?

Mystik(Posted 2003) [#75]
Control Panel - System - Advanced - Enviroment variables

There may be a quicker way, but thats how I did mine

CopperCircle(Posted 2003) [#76]
Many Thanks,

Red(Posted 2003) [#77]
I've uploaded a new version (bug fix):
- scroll pos save/restore
- file association (if you click on bb file)
- hidden programm menu

Mystik(Posted 2003) [#78]
I still can't get this to work by double clicking a .bb file, I've checked the assosiation and that seems ok.

I'm using windows XP if that helps at all. What I have noticed with this new build is that when I double click a .bb file it changes the recent files to show that file. It just does not load it into the editor.

Steve.

Scott Williams(Posted 2003) [#79]
This is a great little tool already.
Looking forward to seeing how it develops.

Good work.

Scott.

Red(Posted 2003) [#80]
/_!_\ Warning /_!_\

I forgot a big bug in save file functionality !!!
I correct this now

Mystik(Posted 2003) [#81]
The double clicking on .bb works great now with the new build. Thanks Ed :)

Steve.

Red(Posted 2003) [#82]
The double clicking on .bb works great now with the new build. Thanks Ed :)
DDE coding always hurts my head

News:
-----
> The save bug is corrected. ouff !!
You can re-download. Sorry :P
> Now I'm working on splashscreen bug and compile bug

Red(Posted 2003) [#83]
@Peter Scheutz
I've upload a new version.
Now VisualBlitz set this environment variable before to do anything.

1- Download this new version
2- remove VisualBlitz file : keywords.ini and config.ini (if they was created)
3- Restart it and tell me if it works this time. :)

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#84]
Hi Ed,

When do you add proper compile error messages? Coding can be such a pain when the correct errors are not displayed.

poopla(Posted 2003) [#85]
I like this IDE alot, but am getting seemingly random crashs. Basically when im doing nothing at all. Ive got no clues way to help find whats causing it in that regaurd.

Kuri(Posted 2003) [#86]
Looks really good.
Though I get a strange scroll problem. When I load a file that is bigger than the window sometimes there is no scroll bar and I cannot scroll up and down. If I close the ide and open it again it's fine. This happens quite a lot

LineOf7s(Posted 2003) [#87]
Been following this thread for a while with interest; thought I'd check it out finally and see what it has to offer.

Sadly, I get as far as a luvverly splash screen and "Load Keywords" before it just freezes and I'm left appreciating the luvvery splash screen until I give it the three finger salute. :o(

FYI, I've never had any version of this IDE on here before, I'm running Blitz2D and Win98SE - if any of that helps. Oh, and based on my ability to get UltraEdit running successfully, the Blitzpath environment variable seems to be set up correctly.

Rimmsy(Posted 2003) [#88]
this is a very nice IDE. I might consider straying off the old original IDE... I love the colour picker... mmmm.

keep up the good work

matt

Red(Posted 2003) [#89]
new version :
- I think I solve completely the file association bug
- Include source files
- open files (multi-selection now)

ETERNAL QUESTION : how to set the BLITZPATH in C++ ?
Sorry I've already fund