Finally got an answer from IREM!!!

Community Forums/Showcase/Finally got an answer from IREM!!!

Zantagor(Posted 2003) [#1]
Well, been almost a month and a half since I emailed them to ask permission on a remake of "The Guadian Legend" a 15 years old NES game :)

It was only a basic answer, and with a bit of broken english tossed into it (Irem is a japanese developper anyway)

The answer I got was basicly,
if it's freeware we can't license you, if you would like to do business with regard to this game, please provide us with a business plan.

I personally wanted to simply make a freeware remake, but now they ask me about a business plan.... Hmmm the possibilties :)

I'll keep in touch with them, as basicly what I wanted was some sources of the monsters and weapons stats so I can make the most faithful remake of the game as possible.

I'll keep the status of the project known :)

I'm just real surprised that they actually answered me at all :)

Ginger Tea(Posted 2003) [#2]
faithful remake = mame/emu

hommage is less fraught belive me

they may not make any money from the game at the moment as you say it is 15 years old, but mario is still going, so in a way is pacman and they may have future use for their characters etc.

im not remaking deflektor im making a puzzle game based on moving a lazer around using mirrors.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#3]
Heh, only 'cause the copyright holders told you to naff off though ;o)

Zantagor(Posted 2003) [#4]
They never used anything from The Guardian Legend ever after the release of this game actually. heck, Tyrian 2000 even used stuff from the "prequel" Zanacm which was the Blue lander music, and another music called coincidentally, Zanac ;)

and, Faithful remake doesn't = Mame/emu that's faithful PORT or copy.

What I expected to do was redo the whole graphic part, but staying true to the original designs, now that's a faithful remake.

don't mix Port and Remake, they're not the same. It's not like I asked to make a remake of let's say, R-Type, for which they STILL are making games.

They did tell me that the chance that they'll ever do anything with TGL was slim, very slim, as besides the blue/red lander there's really nothing marketable in it about the characters.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2003) [#5]
That's pretty sporting of IREM to say that to you.

Personally I'd probably take them up on that offer. Who knows what it'll bring you if you make a good job.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#6]
Well, it's a long way from an "offer" yet... more like, "make us an offer"

FlameDuck(Posted 2003) [#7]
Well, it's a long way from an "offer" yet... more like, "make us an offer"
Well it's better than:
Heh, only 'cause the copyright holders told you to naff off though ;o)
:o>

GNS(Posted 2003) [#8]
It's an offer to make them an offer. ;D

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#9]
True nuff, and as you say, pretty cool that they are even willing to consider it...

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2003) [#10]
IREM make some quality old skool games. Especially arcade games.

Zantagor(Posted 2003) [#11]
They can be pretty slow to answer though, but I'll keep in touch with them for sure.

Zantagor(Posted 2003) [#12]
Who knows anyway ;)

if they accept, who's willing to help me out on it ^_-

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2003) [#13]
Show us a screenshot of the original.

Zantagor(Posted 2003) [#14]
I'll do better than that :)

here's a shrine dedicated to the game,
it's a neat mix of Shooter and Zelda-like gameplay

http://www.classicgaming.com/shmups/guardianlegend/