The First View on: "The Fairy Tale"

Community Forums/Showcase/The First View on: "The Fairy Tale"

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#1]
Old-fashioned RPG games are my true passion when it comes to gaming, and therefore I'm proud to present an addition to this genre from *my* hand!

The Fairy Tale!

As this game is not completely finished yet, I cannot put anything of for download or even buying, but I've made a website with all known about the game, plus it contains a list of everything I still have to do yet...

My first RPG project was "Power Of The Rings", an RPG saga containing two episodes yet, in which history, present and future were mixed, and also set up for a mature audience since the way of language is not always suided for kids and it contained some mature jokes...

On "The Fairy Tale" I went into a diffrent road... I choose the chliché elements, as elves, dwarves, fairies and dragons, but I set them in a new world and made a few tiny adjustments to their original properties, and the world of Phantasar, where the story of the game takes place in was born... The story-line was at first very cliché, however picking up my hammer, my saw and my screwdriver I been fixing up the story-line and I must say, I'm really satisfied with what I have now...

Lots of friends of mine, plus myself have been putting a lot of effort in the game, trying to make it a very good game...

Basically, I didn't went for a revolutionary game... The object was to create a game I would like play myself, and as a true addict of this genre I have a vision of what is good and what not... I've also been playing a lot of other RPG games, because A. I love them and B. to make my sights bigger...

The Fairy Tale is a very old-school RPG game (but that old-style is still very popular among the true fans)...
I might go into the world of 3D for my next project...

As it will be hard to give up any ideas since you didn't play the game yet (I'll upload a demo version as soon as possible), you may still give some general impressions on the story and screenshots as put on the site in the link I gave you...

andy_mc(Posted 2003) [#2]
looks good, based on final fantasy?

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#3]
I guess you could compare it with Final Fantasy, however, it's not my first kind of basis, but still good comparing material I guess ;)

Grisu(Posted 2003) [#4]
First look? I was happy to have seen it before... somehow! :)

Can't wait for a demo!

BTW: Tri, sign me on your mailing list please...

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#5]
BTW: Tri, sign me on your mailing list please...

Done ;-)

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#6]
if you do make another, plz keep it 2d. i dunno why but there's just something about 2d rpg which makes them special.
very cool looking game!!

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#7]
Okay, the demo is not yet available but the official sound-track is...

The Start To Fantasy

The official soundtrack for the Fairy Tale, is there...

If you want to know who that awful lead singer is... That's me... :P

I already know I need singing lessons :P
But nevertheless I hope you like this song ;)

Steve C ™(Posted 2003) [#8]
Lovely heart warming song Tric.

Check out the remix though @ http://www.azzer.com/remixb.mp3

:D

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#9]
Hehehe... Nice remix... I don't think I'm gonna use it in the game, but I might include it as bonus track, if you like ;)

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#10]
*bump*

Demo Released!

I really hope everything works in it, if not report it to me and I'll fix it ;)

Paully(Posted 2003) [#11]
The small one you have available is broken. Gives an error when you run it about some .mp3 file. Testing releases is your new mantra.

Paully(Posted 2003) [#12]
Also you should really change your website. Quite what neon green fractals have to do with a fantasy RPG is beyond my comprehension...
And frames suck. And your screenshots don't work in all browsers because you have \ instead of / in the path.

HTH!

Grisu(Posted 2003) [#13]
NOOOOOOOOO! I like the site green as it is! :D

BTW:
Tri, I can't find the smaller demo version to download.
Your site says there is no demo available?

Could you make the music files as separate download?

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#14]
The small one you have available is broken. Gives an error when you run it about some .mp3 file. Testing releases is your new mantra.

The small version was tested, but I guess something went wrong in it... I'll sort that out... (Strange, that one was tested very much)[/quote]

Also you should really change your website. Quite what neon green fractals have to do with a fantasy RPG is beyond my comprehension...

And what has a blue gradient to do with RPG? (referring to the entire Final Fantasy series) If you put it that way, you can break down anything can't we... Many backgrounds have been tested, and this was the only one that lived up to my satisfaction...

And frames suck. And your screenshots don't work in all browsers because you have \ instead of / in the path.

Oh, I see... I know how that happened... :D
The site was created off-line and uploaded about a month later... Since my explorer didn't give errors, I never changed it... I'll look into it...

BTW:
Tri, I can't find the smaller demo version to download.
Your site says there is no demo available?[quote]
The site is not yet updated, I'll try to do that today, but here's the download page link
It was noted in the showcase, but I guess you read over that messsage... On that page the small version should be located! ;)

[quote]Could you make the music files as separate download?

Done from the start, read more on the link I gave ya in this post...

NOOOOOOOOO! I like the site green as it is! :D

Thank you! ^_^

Paully(Posted 2003) [#15]
And what has a blue gradient to do with RPG? (referring to the entire Final Fantasy series) If you put it that way, you can break down anything can't we... Many backgrounds have been tested, and this was the only one that lived up to my satisfaction...

Fractals evoke a feeling of science, math, computers etc. A blue gradient is just that. And it's a bit bright and migraine inducing...lol

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#16]
Babbling nonses is your forte I see...
Anyway, I've tested the small version again (from the download), and on my machine the small version works... What is the exact error message, only then I can see what the problem is... :-/

Paully(Posted 2003) [#17]
And misspelling nonsense is your forte I see...
I think it something like "sfx/sfx/savegame.mp3 is missing or corrupt"
Something along those lines, it was that file though...

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#18]
Are you sure that was the small version?
In the big version that error occured, but that has been fixed already...

Paully(Posted 2003) [#19]
I'm pretty sure it was the 4MB one....I'll try it again later on.

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#20]
Sure... If the error occurs again, I'd love to know...

Grisu(Posted 2003) [#21]
I have tested the small version. Looks really promising!

But I think the walking speed of my 200 year old fairy is quite lame. :) -
Also you could speed up the battle screen exits. I want to play and don't want to wait for the animation to finish.

Keep it up Tri.

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#22]
The walking speed has always been an issue in my RPG games, and I never seem to get it right, it's always too fast or too slow... For sure I know that your CPU capacity is very influencing the walking speed... Really surprising considering I used the Blitz internal slowdown routines to slow it down since it went too fast at first...

Speeding up battle exists? I myself thought they were already fast (faster than I created before), but it may seem slow since the speed was adjusted to the victory quote which you don't hear if you play the small version (unless you've downloaded the battle vocals), what I do know is that the last screen can be annoying long on, that is because the game needs to reload some data... I'm looking for a more efficient way to chain the battles with the walking engine, but I'm affraid it won't be possible for TFT anymore since that will require too much recoding...
Did I point out your true problem there, Grisu or is it really more in the animation?

Grisu(Posted 2003) [#23]
I think it's a bit of both.

For the walking speed: My CPU is an AMD XP 2100, so not that lame. ;)

Some other things that came cross my mind, when I woke up today... (I always dream / think too much)

These are some ways to speed up your filesystem:

Check your image file formats.
In the small version there were some files doubled?!?
Do not use these PCX, PLEASE!!!

For Animframes -> use Png
For static Pictures (no transparency) -> use Jpg

An example:
The "portret.bmp" 238 kb bmp, 46 kb as pcx, 22 kb as png

Hint: Use Acdsee (trial) or any gfx program to convert existing images to png

You said that you must load a lot of things/data.
So why not get rid of some not really needed images.
You could draw the fractal screens and the battle border screens, instead of having images for them in v-mem!
That would reduce the overal imagenumber.

Furthermore you could try to load all your images into systemmem (banks) and move them to v-mem if needed.
This method is quite a bit faster than loading from HDD each time. - Also try to reduce your filenumber by putting animations of the same king in one (bigger) image. The less (different) files, the faster the loading will be!

These are only some methods of speeding up loading!!!

Ethan3850(Posted 2003) [#24]
It certainly has potential (and is certainly in a lot better state than my efforts!!)

Heres some comments from the 24mb download (sorry ain't managed 2 hav a battle yet):
The game crashs wen I try 2 go south out of the village - it says that Chief_1.mp3 is missing (which it isn't).

The volume levels rn't constant (if u don't want 2 re-record everything again then perhaps create a pref file for each sound that sets the volume on the channel the sound is coming out of)... sometimes the speech is lower than the vol of the music and can hardly b heard.

The walking animation seems out of sync - animation fast.. movement slow.

That's wat I got so far, hope it helps & keep up the gud work!..

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#25]
OOPS!!! I know why the game crashes when you try to leave the village south... You were not supposed to do that, and I forgot the implent the blockade routine on that...

Thanks a lot for reporting that!!!

Speech lower than the music volume? You had that problem?
That's odd, I coded the game to turn off the music during speech (except during battles), so I wonder why the music didn't turn off... I'll look into that...

Grisu(Posted 2003) [#26]
Tri, the dwarf really a cool char!

Just killed this big big monster and went out of the cave and... game completed :(

More quests please... :)

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#27]
Hehehehe... I'm affraid you'll have to wait, Grisu, but the story is getting near completion, but in a few months (maybe sooner) I may need a beta-tester... Interested?

Grisu(Posted 2003) [#28]
Sure, the only cons is my time and my slow modem :(

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#29]
I think when I send the full version to you via the internet, it'll eat too much of my time as well, so I think it's better that when the time comes you leave me your home address and that I send a nero-recored CD-ROM to you over mail...

Grisu(Posted 2003) [#30]
Sure, will e-mail it to you, when the time has come.

But sending CD-Roms is really expensive.

If you divide TFT in packages like now, Testers could handle the amount of download for some time.

So I would only send CD-Roms for big stuff like a pre final release. All voice and music, that parts won't change that much. - And make a private! beta site, where new stuff can be downloaded for testing.

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#31]
Sending CD-ROMs will only be done to a very few people...
You should realize then when you want to beta-test the full version of the fairy tale, you'll face over 500 MB to download, and I don't know if file splitting is supported by inno setup... :/

Plus the final version will be a CD-ROM game, there are too much files (or at least to much MB to pump to a hard-disk, in my humble opinion), but I'll leave the possibility open to copy the entire game to a harddisk (since it will run faster)...

When the date of the completion comes close I'll open a private forum on TBBS only for people involved in the project, and that forum may contain the secret details before the release can be done, but it's not so far yet... (I need to tell you that I need you to become a TBBS member if you want to use that forum, but there are no obligations to you to make use of the rest of that site, of course, if you want to you're quite welcome) ;)
But don't worry yet, that's all for the future, let's focus on the preset, for the main story, I only have three more dungeons and four more bosses to implent, so the main story is almost ready, but I still have some bonus subquests to do, bugfixing, and a few cosmetic features (we want the spells to look cool, don't we?)

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#32]
It's been a long time since I posted here last, but much has happened in my private life between me and my girl-friend, but things are slowly getting settled...

In the mean time I did have time to get a few things done... In the game itself I'm currently dessigning the "Mt. Pyrus", which is supposed to be one of the most important dungeons of the story, having past that one, only two more dungeons remain to finish the story, and then some bonus material has to be implented...

There's also a new guy on the project, and he'll do some redessigning of the graphics, starting with the website... He only needed a story, the game characters pictures, and flash, I don't know what he's up to, so I'll be as surprised as you are, when the new website will be there... We've also been discussing an introduction movie, so the game might become really something...

We've also been discussing my next project "Power Of The Rings III", we both agreed it will be in 3D, but my question about it is, all I know Blitz 3D can do is 3D in perspective, is there also a possiblity to do isometrics? It's not sure which style will be taken, but we want to take both into consideration... Enough on that, though...

I'll make an announcement when the new site for the game has been completed, and I'm working on it to make the downloadable test version better than it is now...

dangerdave(Posted 2003) [#33]
... all I know Blitz 3D can do is 3D in perspective, is there also a possiblity to do isometrics?

I thinks you can fake it/do it using orthographic view (implemented in one the last few updates).
Limited camera movement, such as in WarCraft III, would be good too.

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#34]
I'll try that, thank you!

SoggyP(Posted 2003) [#35]
Hi Folks,

@Tric: Someone posted an Isometric thingy the other day - you might want to check that out.

Later,

Jes

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#36]
Thanks, SoggyP, could you link me?

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#37]
Hard work did pass and finally, the Fairy Tale is finally entering its final stage...

I'm currently working on the Final Dungeon in which the final battle of the game will take place. I'm also working on the final bonus stages and some cosmetic features, when that's all finished the game as a whole is ready, then I only need to do some bug-searching-fixing, and I hope to release the game by then...

Now I'm also looking for good publishers, I already know about Idigicon (if they still do that), but are there more companies who publish games created in Blitz, and what's important for me to know is do they directly buy the product for a large ammount of money, or do I receive money every time they sell a copy? I've created many games before, but never published one, so that's why I need to ask these questions, especially since I can get in law trouble if I receive too much cash in once, I'm unemployed you know...

Another thing you can do me a favor with is taking a look at The Official Documentation
I want you to keep a few things in mind when reading it.

- MicroSoft Explorer REFUSES to load the right fonts. When I access them with Explorer from my harddisk, it works fine.
- Netscape Communicator 7.1 seems to show the documentation best, but ignores a few links for mysterious reasons.
- Ignore those Netscape banners, it's simply the price for putting this on a free Netscape account. The version I'll include on the CD-ROM won't suffer from this!

If you want to help me on this documentation. I've the bad habit of wanting to finish things way too fast, with as a result many grammar and spelling errors, plus that English is not my first language. But even in Dutch I make much silly errors because of wanting to be too fast... If you can point out really stupid errors, I didn't see I'd be really happy...

And if you are bored, I got a nice thing for you to do if you speak a language that I don't. You can make me really happy when you translate this in your language. I only must note that the copyright part can better be left in English. That goes only for the copyright part. It's because that section is too vulnerable for changing in general, and it may even be I need to change a few rules in negotiation with my publisher... Keep the lay-out the same please... So if you are bored, you got a nice thing to break the boredom, it took me 3 days to write this documentation, so if translating takes you as long as that I took away 3 days of boredom. Aren't you grateful to me? I'd be grateful to you if you do :P

I can note that Grisu sent me a way to make the message boxes more fancier. I couldn't copy his code, since the dataformat the Fairy Tale uses, is much diffrent from the format he used in his code, but I did take over a few parts from it, coded my own way around a few points to get the same effect. Thank you very much for that contribution, Grisu, it also gave me some important leads for my next project, which is gonna be "Power Of The Rings III"

So far my story on the things for today, guys... :)

Neo Genesis10(Posted 2003) [#38]
Looking great. From the sound of it you've got a good storyline - a key element in any RPG. Should be a hit. Keep us posted for a demo!

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#39]
I have a (very buggy) demo on http://www.thefairytale.tk
Please don't mind the bugs in that version, most have already been fixed in the meantime, but the download files have not been updated yet...