A historic day. Or something.

Community Forums/Showcase/A historic day. Or something.

GfK(Posted 2003) [#1]
I just got done coding a fully configurable CD-based installer in BlitzPlus for the CD of my new game, Arkadion.

I've viruschecked, burned the CD and ran off a few copies of the CD cover, and have in my hands an actual finished SELLABLE product. :))

The installer:

The box cover (DVD-type):

Hoping this will be on sale (online initially) within the next couple of weeks. :))

skidracer(Posted 2003) [#2]
Whew! I thought you'd finished that truck racing game you posted pics of:)

Does your installer support user selectable target directory and desktop / startmenu icons?

DarkNature(Posted 2003) [#3]
That looks really first ratem GFK. Very professional.

Have fun.

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#4]
GFK, well done. It sure looks excellent

Imphenzia(Posted 2003) [#5]
Great work! =)

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2003) [#6]
Looks very good GFK, but just wondering about the number of levels - 25 seems a bit low for a breakout game...if you need some more, and have a level editor, give me the nod - I like a good game breakout...

Imphenzia(Posted 2003) [#7]
My old 2D version has 120 levels :D And people are STILL asking for addon packs, heh.

GfK(Posted 2003) [#8]
Whew! I thought you'd finished that truck racing game you posted pics of:)
Well, that's finished too. :)
Does your installer support user selectable target directory and desktop / startmenu icons?
The BlitzPlus side of the 'installer' is really just a program launcher that runs directly from the CD and triggers a series of InnoSetup3 installers. It is customisable by way of an INI file which gives you control of what buttons are visible, which file is executed when each button is clicked, the logo bitmap image to be displayed, and where the Exit button goes (if you want one). The INI file for the above looks like this:
[WINTITLE]
Arkadion Installer
[LOGO]
menu\logo.bmp
[BUTTON_0]
Install 'Arkadion'
setup.exe
[BUTTON_1]
Install 'Microsoft® DirectX'
DIRECTX8\DXSetup.exe
[BUTTON_2]

[BUTTON_3]
Install 'Blox Demo'
bloxdemo.exe
[BUTTON_4]
Install 'Binary Zoo Screensaver'
starsaver.exe
[BUTTON_5]

[BUTTON_6]
Visit the Binary Zoo Website
http://www.binaryzoo.co.uk
[BUTTON_7]

[BUTTON_8]
Exit

Looks very good GFK, but just wondering about the number of levels - 25 seems a bit low for a breakout game...if you need some more, and have a level editor, give me the nod - I like a good game breakout...
The game features 25 levels but they're not the kind of level you'll whizz through in 30 seconds. As for the 'level editor' - there isn't one as such. The levels were created in none other than NotePad. I'm planning a proper GUI-based level editor though for later in the year.
My old 2D version has 120 levels :D And people are STILL asking for addon packs, heh.
Imphenzia has hit the nail on the head!

If you leave people desperate for more rather than throwing too much at them, it opens up possibilities for expansion packs, sequels and level editor packages in the future. That's how the likes of Klondike (Amiga) achieved a cult following.

Imphenzia(Posted 2003) [#9]
I was going to make the sequel to my "Beat Ball" game in 3D, but not so sure I need to anymore =)

skidracer(Posted 2003) [#10]
How close is the demo? <hint>

GfK(Posted 2003) [#11]
Its available from the 'downloads' page on my website - http://www.binaryzoo.co.uk

Feel free to add it to that demo CD if you want to/if there's any space left.

skidracer(Posted 2003) [#12]
The blox download demo link points to the screensaver???

GfK(Posted 2003) [#13]
The blox download demo link points to the screensaver???
Oopsie :)

Not any more it doesn't.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#14]
It's a pretty cool game, but I would suggest a few changes for the demo.

First, players like to -win-. As it is, the first board you play is pretty tough from a n00bie perspective : lots of bricks you have to hit multiple times, while you try to get used to the game board tilting with your movements.

Also, I would drop less bombs. It seems like there's ALWAYS one in the air. A new player has enough to contend with without having to constantly avoid bombs.

I would also change the floating enemies so that they explode when the ball hits them. Send the ball in a random direction if you like, but destroy the enemy.

Just my personal opinions as a non-hardcore breakout player. :)

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#15]
I agree with EpicBoy.

Blue Steel(Posted 2003) [#16]
Looks VERY good. Very professional looking. Definitely something to be proud of!