main menu, what do you think of it

Community Forums/Showcase/main menu, what do you think of it

maximo(Posted 2003) [#1]
This is something I made in PS, I suck at 2d design do you think this could pass as design for main menu? Btw darklordz no need to tell me what you think, I already know, lets see if the others see it that way ;)

Btw right now I am happy with this design, and wouldn't mind using it for my game.

But let me know what you think?

SSS(Posted 2003) [#2]
i really like it, MUCH better than anything i could ever do!! i do think you should consider ading some more designes instead of just tiling but its still really cool

mearrin69(Posted 2003) [#3]
Looks pretty good to me gema, though I agree with SSS about maybe adding a couple more designs instead of repeating the ?vehicle? several times. BTW, is this your own, original line art? Quite nice.

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#4]
Looks nice, however, if you're writing a Snooker or Barbie game it's maybe not the right design.

Oh and has the man got a carrot in his pocket or is he just pleased to see us?

[img "http://mysite.freeserve.com/mentalillusion/temp/carrot.jpg"]

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#5]
the colors man , the colors!!!!
aaarrrgg my back is killing me and this damn kain keeps breakin.. wink wink! :P

maximo(Posted 2003) [#6]
cool nobody complained about colors yet :p can I get some more opinions from people here.

mearrin69:
I paid for those concepts, it's not my art, I'm good at modeling but not concept stuff, I have good eye though and know what I like when I see it.

dr Av: I think he's looking forward to race some of the chicks that are going to be in this game ;) He likes to creap up from behind and take over and lead.

BlackJumper(Posted 2003) [#7]
Just a suggestion:

If you want to keep the tiling, why not flip/rotate some of them to point **towards** the menu so that the focus is the middle of the screen, rather than at present where it sort of 'tilts' off the bottom left of the screen (but not very noticable). Just splitting hairs.

But while I'm at it, my first instinct was that your blokey was about to reach out and grab one of those 'halo jones' pistols and start blasting things. 'Another FPS' would be my reaction to this as a first screen - not a driving game.

maximo(Posted 2003) [#8]
Here is update:

Yes BlackJumper he looks like FPS hero, but when I model him he'll look more like racer. Anyways main menu will probly get updated lots before I release the game, I'll have lots more material that I can play with. So for now I think I'll stick with this for a while ;) Thanks for all the suggestions :)

Sunteam Software(Posted 2003) [#9]
Very nice.

Koriolis(Posted 2003) [#10]
cool nobody complained about colors yet
I do. That would be so much nicer without that orange color! Anyway, that IS nice indeed.

sswift(Posted 2003) [#11]
I did this version for him quickly, and he didn't like it. Poo! :-)

I thre it together fairly quickly, so it's not like it was FINISHED or anything. :-) Especially with the guy not being colored and all. And it needs some moving elements. And maybe some more color. I did a more colorful one with a somewhat different design but I erased it because his title screen had more muted tones to it so I figured he wanted something more greenish and maybe a single hue to be more conservative like his muted tones and design are.

What I was originally going for was like a bluish light on the left and a reddish light behind the guy on the right, and more glowy stuff with more a more high tech look. But I thought that might not go well with his game.

sswift(Posted 2003) [#12]
Oh hey I know what it's missing. There's no copyright text or game name on the screen. That would fill some space. :-) Still needs moving bits though. I was inspired by the menu screens of Freedom Force when I created this. They utilized 2d cutouts on their menus, though they used black outlines with glows around them to make them look more mysterious.

maximo(Posted 2003) [#13]
Immprove the fonts, they look to simple, give them some glow or something to make em look cooler ;) and work some more on this, you might have something there that I would consider using ;)

maximo(Posted 2003) [#14]
> What I was originally going for was like a bluish light on the left and a reddish light behind the guy on the right, and more glowy stuff with more a more high tech look. But I thought that might not go well with his game.

That was nice idea!

Dont think, experiment and show me :) I'll tell you what I feel about it :)

sswift(Posted 2003) [#15]
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh!

I don't have time to mess around!

:-)

Stupid tank game! Why didn't I make something simpler! Like ARKANOID! UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Multiplayer netplay crap taking me three months! Boo! Hiss!

I hope I make enough money off this so I can start paying people to make content for me! That would make my life so much simpler.

maximo(Posted 2003) [#16]
I doubt you'll make those 10000$ you need any time soon ;)
But good look and btw if you get time try out that idea of yours I might send you some money if it turns out really cool, don't expect much though ;)

>Like ARKANOID!

Then again who would buy that? ;)

nibby(Posted 2003) [#17]
looks cool gema but i think if the figure was coloured and more in the forground it would look even better. ;0)

just my humble opinion tho

nibby