Mobile Suit Police

Community Forums/Showcase/Mobile Suit Police

rsbrowndog(Posted 2003) [#1]
All,

Just set up a page at the Blitz Showcase for Mobile Suit Police, you can view it here:

Mobile Suit Police

To save you a clicky, here's the readme.txt file:
MOBILE SUIT POLICE
Demo v0.5

If you're reading this, it must mean you have just downloaded my demo of Mobile Suit Police to take a look at. It's a 3rd person shooter with anime-style giant robots battling it out in a city environment.

It's still a bit rough around the edges, but I thought I'd post it to get some feedback on it. In particular I am thinking of ditching the 3rd person view and cursor/mouse controls and instead having an isometric control with firing limited to the direction you are facing. Any thoughts?

CONTROLS

Use cursor keys to move forwards/backwards and left/right. Use mouse to aim and left mouse button to fire a laser shot, right mouse button to fire a missile.

CREDITS

I'd like to thank the following people:

Mark Sibly - for Blitz
Rob Cummings - particle code
Simon Armstrong - miscellaneous help
Psionic - excellent robot model - taken from http://www.psionic3d.co.uk
George Bray - encouragement
James Boyd - miscellaneous help
Joshua Klint - miscellaneous help
Shawn Swift - miscellaneous help
Rob Pearmain - toon-style rendering code
Steve Harrison - excellent music - taken from http://www.futuredevelopments.org.uk

NB: "miscellaneous help" means I can't remember what you actually helped me with or what I code I stole from you - sorry!!

In addition to the model and music mentioned above, all other media is from royalty-free sources, feel free to steal it for your own ends!

Please post feedback in the "Mobile Suit Police" post in the User Projects forum at the blitzbasic website, or contact me via my e-mail address below.

Cheers,

Ryan Brown
ryan.mail@...

Here's some screenshots:

Please try the demo (it's just under 3Mb) and post your feedback here.

Cheers,

Ryan

Dock(Posted 2003) [#2]
I tried it out. I like the visual style for the models, the toon-style rendering is handled well.

I found it strange that the robots were so nimble yet unable to jump or anything like that. Also, it's strange that the bullet holes overlap the edges of buildings. Right now it seems more like a FPS than a mecha combat game.

NTense(Posted 2003) [#3]
I think it's a great start.. I kind of like the 3rd person view, though, you might make it so the torso can twist to look one way while the body is running in another direction.. Also, I ran out of missiles, and couldn't find anymore (then they quickly kicked my butt :( ), but overall, I think it's a great start. I agree with Dock.. I wanted to jump really bad, but couldn't.. That would be a great feature.

rsbrowndog(Posted 2003) [#4]
Thanks very much for the comments, I'll bear them all in mind!

Yes, I did think long and hard about jumping... maybe I should have another think about it! ;-)

Any more for any more?

Cheers,

Ryan

NTense(Posted 2003) [#5]
Maybe having the buildings blow up if they take enough damage... That could be nice! Also, I found that if I was far enough away from the enemy bots, I could fire on them all I wanted to, and they wouldn't move or retaliate. I don't know if you intentionally did that or not.

poopla(Posted 2003) [#6]
Its a god start. A few things that would be cool is a large selection of weapons, a torso you can turn, maybe more dynamic robots(more mechanical apearance), Slower movement/acceleration and decelleration. It would also be cool if you fought in huge domes with awesome diverse landscapes. Could be very very cool :). Cheers

rsbrowndog(Posted 2003) [#7]
NTense,

Yes, that is a bug that I haven't got round to fixing yet. I originally setup the AI so that if the enemies were more than "x" distance away from you then they didn't do anything, (not even the idle anim as they were so far away you wouldn't see it anyway) this was done to keep the frame-rate up. I will sort it out.

There are no more missiles to pick up! I should have put this in the readme, but I forgot. Basically at the top of the screen on the right you have your ENERGY reading. Firing your laser takes 1 point of energy, firing a missile takes 10 points. Your energy slowly recharges (as does your health if you take a kicking!), so the idea is to play a bit of cat 'n' mouse with the enemies. Now you know that, do you think it's a good idea?

I don't think I'll be able to include destructible buildings as they are all addmesh'd together, again to keep the frame rate up by keeping the number of surfaces low. I want to add more buildings to give it a bit more variety, so I suppose that some of them could be destructible, e.g. power stations or similar?

I am thinking of a total change in the game actually, replacing all the enemy robots with things like tanks, etc., so you are the only giant robot mech thing.

Actually, delete the "giant" part there as I am also considering scaling your character way down so it's more of a hard-suit type of thing rather than a giant robot or mech.

This would also coincide with changing to a top-down or isometric viewpoint and a simpler control system (i.e. cursors to go forwards/backwards and turn left/right with CTRL and ALT to fire) which I am also considering.

Thanks all!

Cheers,

Ryan

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#8]
more of a hard-suit type of thing rather than a giant robot or mech.

Maybe something like what Appleseed has? That would be cool.

rsbrowndog(Posted 2003) [#9]
Mustang,

Yes that's it! I get confused with the terminology...

Cheers,

Ryan