Matrix Desktop Screensaver

Community Forums/Showcase/Matrix Desktop Screensaver

Jay Mattis(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hey everyone. I just finished a screensaver in BlitzPlus I've been working on for a couple weeks. It displays whatever is on your desktop in streaming "matrix code". If you move your mouse around it makes certain parts of the code full bright while holding your left mouse button lets you see through to the desktop. Check it out and let me know what you think.

http://www.jaymattis.com

Neuro(Posted 2003) [#2]
So...where do we get this from?

Warren(Posted 2003) [#3]
I'm going to go out on a limb and say from the link in his post.

Synchronist(Posted 2003) [#4]
Hmm, think you'll have any problems with copyright? The matrix screensavers I've seen in the past have been freeware and so did not cause any problems for the authors.
The look and feel of your demo might be construed as infringement...

Just asking. Nice demo!

Jay Mattis(Posted 2003) [#5]
I don't see why. I don't make any references to the movie. What part of their property am I infringing upon?

Synchronist(Posted 2003) [#6]
The visual concept I would think. The Matrix visual is unique to only one, now two, movies.

"...streaming "matrix code" similar to what Neo sees in the movie."

Pretty much describes it.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2003) [#7]
Not just that but my virus checker wouldnt let me run it. says its got a virus and deleted it for me :P

And you want people to buy it ?

RetroBooster(Posted 2003) [#8]
If your using the same matrix symbols as the matrix uses, as well as the same name! (matrix screen saver) it might be a good idea to either take it down or make it freeware, before someone actualy spots it... Since it's as legal grounds for ruining your life by lawsuits as WB can get!

Jay Mattis(Posted 2003) [#9]
First of all, matrix is a mathematical term, as well as a computer science term. Second of all, the characters are kanji, you know, chinese (maybe korean? I forget.) characters. What virus does it say it has Yavin? Also, there are other screensavers that not only make real references to the movie and are available for purchase, but do nothing but try to emulate EXACTLY how it looks in The Matrix. So...I don't think this is that bad. By the way, the price is now $4.95 because that's as low as eSellerate will let me make the price. Consider it as sponsoring my software, my webspace, and my efforts. I put it on eSellerate because I need some place to upload my files. Pay $4.95 and help me keep it running. Would people rather me remove the 30 sec. running limit from the trial and put a huge "UNREGISTERED" sign on top, or maybe overlay "UNREGISTERED" on the reference image it uses so that it shows up in matrix code?

NTense(Posted 2003) [#10]
They're just trying to warn you Jay. Just be careful, because if lawyers smell a hint of copyright infringement, they won't be kind to you. Anyway, good luck with it.. It looks nice.

Jay Mattis(Posted 2003) [#11]
Alright, well if I'm contacted I'll take it down. I don't think I'm using anything copyrighted though. Thanks NTense.

Neuro(Posted 2003) [#12]
Actually, any similiarity to the Matrix can be considered copyright infringement. For example, folks who create games based the Starwars universe can be sued by LucasArts, even if its freeware...
In your case, your screen saver just happen to have a resemblence to the Matrix movie intro screen, not only that, your screen saver is called "Matrix" and to make matters worse, your charging for it. Even if this is a minor thing, they can pursue you.

But then again, thats what I've been told....over and over.....so I can be wrong.

BTW, screen saver is pretty cool!

Jay Mattis(Posted 2003) [#13]
Hmm...true. I guess I'll just hope that they don't care about a mediocre independent developer. :) Thanks Neuro.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#14]
"I guess I'll just keep spinning the barrel and pulling the trigger. Hopefully I won't win a bullet."

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2003) [#15]
Just call it Mootrix and change the green to blue. Or put a colour changer in, default it to blue and allow people to change it to green. Then they won't be able to touch you.