The Complete Football Game

Community Forums/Showcase/The Complete Football Game

Fry Crayola(Posted 2003) [#1]
As the title suggests, this is exactly that. The Complete Football Game.

I could point you to the website which is here but that's not good enough.

So I'll give you the gist as well:

Over 1000 leagues in over 200 countries running simultaneously

Over 2 million players and staff populating the gameworld

2D match, featuring full modes, highlights, and player review

Full player interaction, and responding to feedback

Full tactical implementation allowing for all styles from basic 4-4-2 to Total Football, with player instructions ranging from a hands on approach to allowing a free role

Media interaction including press releases, conferences and post-match interviews

Interaction with non-playing staff: consult assistant managers, coaches, physios and the board

Hands on training, playing an important role in the tactical development of your team and essential for preparation for the next match

Review of previous match - take key incidents and player review highlights and show players where you believe they went wrong

many more (you know, the ones I can't remember right now but will probably pop into my head at inopportune moments...)

And that's just some of what I have in my head, on paper, in a little bit of code, and floating in my soup in place of croutons.

I hate croutons...

It'll be an ongoing development, so after the initial release plans will get underway to allow playing of the matches, career modes as a player and all sorts of classic tournaments with classic players...

Just wait...

Steve C ™(Posted 2003) [#2]
Sounds like a massive project! I love footy manager games (Football Director on the Speccy anyone?) and this sounds like a great one :)

GfK(Posted 2003) [#3]
Its a bit ambitious. Good luck with it.

Fry Crayola(Posted 2003) [#4]
Ambition is a good thing in my book - besides which the addition of the whole world is merely a size thing - the programming will be only a little more complex to deal with it all.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#5]
"Over 1000 leagues in over 200 countries running simultaneously

Over 2 million players and staff populating the gameworld "

way too ambitious, cm4 doesn't even do anywhere near this.

Fry Crayola(Posted 2003) [#6]
I know. But CM4 doesn't have that fun factor either.

My game is more of a simulator on a local level (competitions you are involved with or could be) and an abstractor on a global level. The games from Trinidad and Tobago aren't simulated if you're managing in Slovenia. Instead the result is created depending on the abilities of the teams involved, form, general tactics etc.

A la Sensible Soccer (which ran far more leagues than any CM game you care to mention, on an A500).

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#7]

A la Sensible Soccer (which ran far more leagues than any CM game you care to mention, on an A500)

Yes but Sensi did'nt really do much with them - just had them - CM4 actually simulates realistically all the leagues - you cannot compare the 2.

As you say (using the sensi method) you could have billions of leagues if you wanted too its what you do with them that counts.
I would rather less leagues but more detail and individuality of those that are there.

Fry Crayola(Posted 2003) [#8]
It's difficult to explain. Basically, my method means that the leagues close to your league, plus the top leagues, are modelled in detail because the results may affect you, the players are big players (and thus affect international results) etc. But when in the Brazilian Third Division, the results and players of the Rymans League mean nothing to you so they are done in minimal detail.

It's a trade off, but I'd much rather simulate all the leagues in some way rather than do a lot with a few and discard the rest completely. You lose the illusion of a footballing world - just look at CM4. The processing constraints mean you run less leagues, which means you lose a little bit of the illusion of a real world.

skidracer(Posted 2003) [#9]
I would look at a multilingual engine with the game's obvious international appeal. And hell, if you don't like thinking small, why not support massive multiplayer to boot!

Fry Crayola(Posted 2003) [#10]
Multiplayer wouldn't be bad, would it?

Except whereas I have a bit of experience working with single player games, multiplayer is a mystery to me. I'd rather build the game with the single player in mind rather than a multiplayer experience. You always create what you want to play the most...