Bubble Bomb FINAL

Community Forums/Showcase/Bubble Bomb FINAL

Warren(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hate to whore my game again, but I believe it's finally reached completion. A number of graphics have changed, you can use an optional timer to make it more challenging and there is a new "bubble bonus" concept that will add bubbles to the playing field every 350 points. This helps you when you end up with lots of dead columns on the right side.

Link is in my sig.

Thanks!

maximo(Posted 2003) [#2]
Not my kind of game but very nice looking! Did you do all the graphics or you had help with this? Keep it up ;)

Warren(Posted 2003) [#3]
A friend of mine did the bulk of the graphics and another friend did the bulk of the sound effects/music.

I filled in some holes here and there, but I'm primarily a code guy. :)

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#4]
*** Tricrokra's judgement ***

Bubbles, bubbles, bubbles....

How much fun you can make with bubbles...

The concept of this game is not a really complicated one, as always with puzzle games, still the game is harder than it appears to be, and a good logical thinking is a requirement... I have to say, I love it...

It may take me some time before I'm really an expert in this game, but I could try...

The cute and colorfull graphics is really what this game needs... A very good color choice is really what this game serves as it should...

The usage of sound is really cool, and the neat messages that flash through the screen shortly, but long enough to read, make this game really awesome...

Maybe the way this game is coded or layed-out, is not what everyone wants, to see, but it IS what I want to see...

I will surely play this game more...

Buy it? Er... Well... I've a problem, that I do buy many of these little things, and I have to set priorities at this moment... As soon as my cash allows me to do more crazy things, I might consider to buy it... (No promises)...

So far, Tricrokra's judgement...

(Oh, you want a rating just like I did with other games here... That would be 9/10)... :)

Warren(Posted 2003) [#5]
Heh, nice review! Thanks. :)

SSS(Posted 2003) [#6]
cool game, you also have the site hosted by flipcode right?

Warren(Posted 2003) [#7]
Yeah, but I don't know how often I'll be updating that site now. Might take it down since this Blitz stuff is consuming most of my time now.

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#8]
Heh, nice review! Thanks. :)

Any time :)

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#9]
I played this again for ages last night (not that I *meant* to play it for ages :)

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#10]
I know what you mean, James...
It's very addicting...
At this moment I play 10 games a day...

I really need to go into therapy to get over this addicition :)

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#11]
BTW Epic, it might be an idea to stick a Delay 5 or 10 in the main loop, as it'd be nice if it played nicely with other apps in windowed mode (currently uses 100% CPU, and it hardly needs to... ;)

Warren(Posted 2003) [#12]
Ah! That's how you do it! I was wondering how I could give back the cycles every frame. I guess I'll know for my next game then.

Thanks for the tip! :)

EOF(Posted 2003) [#13]
I get this error when trying to run the self-executable zip:

CE AppManager not found
Please re-install Active Sync

Any clues as to what 'CE AppManager' and 'Active Sync' are?
WinXP Home installed here.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#14]
You downloaded the PocketPC version. Download the Windows PC one and it should work fine.

Jay Mattis(Posted 2003) [#15]
Did you code the Windows one in Blitz, and the PocketPC version in C++? What graphics library did you use for PocketPC development?

maximo(Posted 2003) [#16]
Hey Epic, how's this thing salling? Can you give us some advices, so we know what we can expect? Are sales going as you expected them to go?

Warren(Posted 2003) [#17]
Sales are lower than I would have expected, but apparently doing better than other shareware guys I talk to. It's moved about 35 copies so far ... not spectacular, but compared to other guys I talk to, apparently good.

It's not the worlds greatest game, so I'm happy for whatever I get. I get a few purchases a day usually, and that's keeping me happy.

The problem is advertising ... I can spend money and get lots of coverage/downloads, but if that doesn't come back in purchases it's money pissed away. I've spent a lot of money trying different things and I can offer these words of advice (which I'll be following for my next game):

1. Lock the demo down. Make it expire after a certain time period or certain number of uses. My original demo was unlimited and never stopped working ... and nobody bought the game. Once I locked the demo down to 15 uses, purchases started to pick up.

2. Look into www.kanoodle.com. It works similarly to Google Adwords, but it's cheaper and applies to TONS of search engines, not just Google. I've spent about $600 so far and have over 12,000 reported clicks to my site.

3. Buy a copy of Robosoft (www.rudenko.com). It's a program that allows you to submit your software to hundreds of shareware sites - it fills in the forms and such automatically. It's really a time saver. I initially paid a company to submit my game for me - cost about $300. Turned out to be a waste of money because they were doing something I could easily do myself, using Robosoft.

Hope that helps!

maximo(Posted 2003) [#18]
It does, thanks for advices :)

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#19]
Epic, did you read this recent article? Some very interesting thoughts here...

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/business/features/shareprof/

Warren(Posted 2003) [#20]
James

Yep, read that one. I read a lot of articles when I was contemplating stepping into the shareware ring. Everything didn't sink in obviously, but I think enough did that for a first go, I think I did alright. :)

Warren(Posted 2003) [#21]
I thought I recognized that article. That's actually a reprint from Steve's main site :

http://www.dexterity.com/articles/

All of the articles on that page should be required reading for anyone looking to get into shareware.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#22]
Jay

Sorry, you sort of got lost in the shuffle there.

Yes, on PocketPC I used C++ and GapiDraw (www.gapidraw.com) for the graphics.

maximo(Posted 2003) [#23]
Hey Epic seems like you plan to develop games for PocketPC, do you belive that there is money to be made on that platform? Have you any contacts that have made games for that platform and also money selling them on PocketPC?

Warren(Posted 2003) [#24]
gema

No real contacts, no. I just thought that Bubble Bomb made good sense on that platform so I ported it. I knew a few guys who tested it for me and they all agreed that it was great fun for playing on the way to work on the train/bus, so I released it.

Waiting to see how it does ...

I plan to write a few more of those puzzle style games, so I'm currently in the throws of writing a common back end that will allow me to write the game on my desktop and just recompile for the PocketPC version. We'll see if I can make it happen. Simultaneous releases would be great.

maximo(Posted 2003) [#25]
Hey keep us updated on progress and if you make any sales at all for PocketPC, I really can't belive they can make money selling games for that platform, but you never know ;)

Good luck anyways!!!

Warren(Posted 2003) [#26]
Well, I've sold 4 copies of it on PocketPC so far ... hopefully that will increase, but I think it's a fairly small market still.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#27]
what a cool game!!! i'm buying it tommorow. well deserved money!

thanks for a cool game

Warren(Posted 2003) [#28]
Hey, thanks!