My first 2D game...

Community Forums/Showcase/My first 2D game...

keyboard(Posted 2003) [#1]
My first 2D game, I have made some levels and would appreciate feedback at this stage, many thanks. It is a kids game, suitable for 8 - 12 I hope.

my first 2D game

Grisu(Posted 2003) [#2]
Tested it and found no bugs.

Nice little game!

Some features you might add:
- clouds passing through the upper part of screen
(have written code for this if you like to add this)
- if you hit a ballon "wrong" it might change its direction (at higher difficulty levels)
- balloons interact with each other
- bigger real playfield (3 screens) -> "Viewport"

Looking forward to the next version...

BTW:
BlitzCoder Memory is my first game in bb. (Link in my sig)

keyboard(Posted 2003) [#3]
thanks for those suggestions, changing directions is a good idea, and if you don't mind posting the code for the clouds, or mailing it, that would be great.

bigger real playfield (3 screens) -> "Viewport"

What does that mean exactly?

Grisu(Posted 2003) [#4]
Your welcome!

It does mean that your playfield is bigger than the actual screen resoution.
If you move the your bee to the left or right edges of your screen (viewport) then the displayed playfield will change.

Let's say you have a 800x600 screen = viewport, and the actual playfield is 2400x600 pixels (3 screens large) and your bee can move smoothly through it and the viewport will follow the movements of the bee until the real "borders" are reached. (same as in jump and run games)

Difficult to explain with my bad english. :(

I worte such stuff for a game which is something like yours but it switched over to code my memory game.

Will send you the code and media via e-mail cause i can't host stuff.

keyboard(Posted 2003) [#5]
It does mean that your playfield is bigger than the actual screen resoution.

I get it. Look forward to seeing the code, thanks again.

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#6]
I'd love to play it, but when I try to run it I get the error "Invalid Memory Access"....

Grisu(Posted 2003) [#7]
Make sure you extract the files and subdirs of the zip correctly, Tricrokra.
That might be the cause of the memory access violation error!

If you like little games, you may follow the link in my signature and check BCM as well... *smiles shy*

keyboard(Posted 2003) [#8]
DOH!

forgot to put a graphic in the proper subdirectoy, sorry Tricrokra :(

I have uploaded a new zip

good file

SSS(Posted 2003) [#9]
its a fun game, the but i couldnt get past level 5 :( my only comment is that i think you should slow the bugs down they r way to hard

keyboard(Posted 2003) [#10]
Roger Wilco SSS

thanks for that. I have slowed them down a little.

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#11]
That's what I did, Grisu... Still doesn't work, though...

And I'll try your link :)

Grisu(Posted 2003) [#12]
@Tricrokra:
Im looking forward to your judgement. :)
Please use the other thread for posting or e-mail me.
I don't want to hijack this topic of Keyboard! ;)

@Keyboard: Tested new 3.1

New features please:
- cut off these damm starting exiting delays!
- Center the bug on screen at beginning of a level, cause it irritates a bit if its right next to the lifebar.
- try to make a simple keyboard driven mainmenu
-> for selecting the start level, etc example code
- could you add some animation for the bug wings? (should not be so difficult)
- how about power ups for the bug (speed, agility, bigger nouse :) )?
- 2 player mode at one pc!

SSS(Posted 2003) [#13]
fun game, got up to level 11 YES :D
its a good game

keyboard(Posted 2003) [#14]
@Grisu
Thanks Grisu, I will look at those issues, and the link.

@SSS
Thank you SSS

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#15]
@Grisu, I've e-mailed my review to you on to the addres I found in your account... I can already tell you I'm really impressed!

@keyboard, thank you for e-mailing me about the problem that occured to me, I'll post my jugdement as soon as possible...

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#16]
Allright, this game is going to face Tricrokra's judgement... (It feels to good to be reviewing amateur productions again, it's been years since I did my last review for that)...

First af all, I'm astound, that such a concept which is really too simple for words can be so much fun to play... I know that simple concepts can often be most fun, and this game really prooves that... If you need to make any improovements, it will not be on the gameplay itself... What you need to focus on is solely to make the game a little more interesting and inviting... Sometimes background music can do that, but I don't think that is what this game needs... Putting the main screen into a menu can do the game a little better, if you can find a good dessigner to make your scoreboard a little more profesional, you will have done, a few easy things that make the game really more inviting... The fact that you chose a one-color flat background screen, really makes the game best in view... A pattern with two colors close to each other, is something I'd like to experiment on, see if it doesn't take away the very good view you got now, and in the same times making the looks a little more interesting... If you see that all possible efforts ruin the game you can better leave it out, but it's always worth a little experiment... The nice little tune between the levels or when you start over after being dead, makes the game so simple natured, but yet so powerfull, it's not something I should use in the more profesional games, but it does a very great deal in this game... I think I would have left it out, to have to press "Enter" all the time you start on a new level... For me that was a little annoying...

Recording the record high score is a very good thing, especially in a game like this, I think setting up a complete hall of fame would do the game even better...

Some more background work on the screens between the game would also be a great thing...

These are all suggestions in which you can make the game more inviting... The concept is great, somethings that make this game even better than it already is, is really what it deserves... I wish you good luck on that...

(In the past I worked as a review, which required me to give a rating between 1-10, 1=awful, 10=perfect... In that scale I think I rate it 7... Great game, but a few points to work on)...

keyboard(Posted 2003) [#17]
@Tricrokra
I am thrilled you have written all that, many thanks, there are a lot of points you have made and I will try to think of them all.

@all
my appreciation for your opinions.

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#18]
You're welcome...
I've been a music reviewer in the past, and I also love to review other people's work on programming, as I've been programming for many years now, and I always have been searching to make a game good, and I'm always glad to help others...

Okay, is there somebody else who wants to face Tricrokra's judgement?

keyboard(Posted 2003) [#19]
Just a FYI

I have removed the game file from its download location while I look at some of the issues mentioned in this thread.

keyboard(Posted 2003) [#20]
I have put a new file up at

New File

thanks for all the suggestions, I have done my best to evaluate them and use the ones that fit best the game concept.