My first ever Blitz game

Community Forums/Showcase/My first ever Blitz game

Rainking(Posted 2003) [#1]
I've been working on a Tetris-like game I have called BlockDrop. I am currently on version 0.80. I would very much like people's feedback.

To download the game go here:

http://members.fortunecity.com/rainking2/

Extract all the files to the same directory and run the .exe

Look forward to your feedback and please remember it's my first ever game.

Thanks!

keyboard(Posted 2003) [#2]
It worked fine for me except I did not get any sound effects. Maybe you have not put sound effects in yet, but that's the only thing I noticed.

Rainking(Posted 2003) [#3]
No sound effects yet - those are coming next :)

Thanks for the feedback.

keyboard(Posted 2003) [#4]
Just some feedback on the text - the name and static words like "score" and so on would maybe look nicer as a graphic?

a small point, but it could sharpen up the interface a little.

Rainking(Posted 2003) [#5]
Thanks for the feedback.

I am now up to version 0.91 and the game has sound and music aswell as a few tweaks.

keyboard(Posted 2003) [#6]
The sound is good and makes it much more enjoyable, and .91 worked fine for me.

Bouncer(Posted 2003) [#7]
Works great... nice for a first game.

- Bouncer

Rainking(Posted 2003) [#8]
Thanks for the kind words.

0.93 is out now.

Some feedback I have gotten is that the blocks spin too fast on later levels. I know this is because I increase the FPS as you go up in level, and this also makes the controls more sensitive. What's the best way to deal with this?

Dock(Posted 2003) [#9]
One complaint is that there isn't ability to slide the shapes along the surface much. When I made a tetris game (a long time ago), I made it so that it didn't stick to the surface until it was time to move down to the next layer. This would give the player the ability to slide blocks in from the side, just like the gameboy tetris. Nice work though! ^_^

DarkNature(Posted 2003) [#10]
Seems o.k here.

Don't worry too much about graphics and such just yet. It plays well enough and behaves like I would expect a Tetris game to behave. Thats important.

Well done, Rainking. I'd say its pretty darn good for a first game.

Have fun.

_PJ_(Posted 2003) [#11]

Thanks for the kind words.

0.93 is out now.

Some feedback I have gotten is that the blocks spin too fast on later levels. I know this is because I increase the FPS as you go up in level, and this also makes the controls more sensitive. What's the best way to deal with this?

Im at work and unable to test your program right now, but I assume you want the game to speed up to make it more difficult on later levels.

To counter the effect on the controls and the block spin, I would create some timers to make a delay (I used a similar idea to limit the rate of fire in a spaceship game) that prevents the keys from being affected/blocks from spinning, without slowing-up execution.

The pseudo-code would be something similar to this:

Key_timer=Millisecs() ;sets a timer each frame

While Not Keydown(1); start of main game loop....

If Millisecs()-Key_timer>250 ; this ensures that the keys won't be read within 250 milliseconds of each other

Key_timer=millisecs()

..............Insert Key control functions

End If

Does this make sense?

KristoDJ(Posted 2008) [#12]
First game? Excellent work!!!
I'm scratching my brain in a tetris clone game and I'm still stuck on how to chek for the moveability/placeability of those damned blocks!!! :'''(

You really made a great job! ;)

Amon(Posted 2008) [#13]
I get a memory access violation when I have to press a key to begin. I tried version .92 and .93.

I'm running Vista Home Premium, specs in sig.

DarkMere(Posted 2008) [#14]
I really like your version of Tetris, I like the 3D effect you have on the blocks.

I have ran the program under XP and Vista, not had any problem with either.

TaskMaster(Posted 2008) [#15]
Do you guys realize this thread is 4 years old?!?!

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#16]
I get a memory access violation when I have to press a key to begin. I tried version .92 and .93.

Ditto!