Just A Plain Block Building, Nothing More

Community Forums/Showcase/Just A Plain Block Building, Nothing More

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#1]
Just a lil block structure I did in WC and converted over to .b3d with halo's MapTool.

I'm trying to get as close as I can to the look of the scenery in Medal of Honor...

without fog

with fog

... i've still got a lil ways to go, but Blitz seems to give pretty decent output.

--Mike

JAW(Posted 2003) [#2]
Looks neat :)

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#3]
It's very nicely lit. Although the fog over on the dark side of the building looks a little odd, I don't suppose there's anything much can be done about that.

Caff(Posted 2003) [#4]
Hang on, built in WorldCraft (Hammer) and converted to .b3d? Using MapTool? Where is this tool?

Dock(Posted 2003) [#5]
I think he's refering to Cartography Shop. It includes a Worldcraft importer, it's currently the only way to take levels from other editors and get them into Blitz.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#6]
yeah... a halo inc. production...

an interim solution offered to registed users of Cartography shop while version 3 is being finished.

--Mike

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#7]
Buildings like that can also be done completely in maplet....

This is just a simple demo....
Also download it all here
(MapletFIles, B3D Files, Textures, BB Files)

I just though youd want to know....

Ginger Tea(Posted 2003) [#8]
and quill
even though most of us are still mucking with the demo

i was watching tmf a few nights ago and wanted to model the stone roofless hut for enrique's hero video.

the first pic comes close to the size look and feel save for the textures
and the second level? long window thingies.

Gnu(Posted 2003) [#9]
I'm trying to get this to look like my local garage. Done in maplet.

starfox(Posted 2003) [#10]
sweet!

sswift(Posted 2003) [#11]
Heh. That sort of scene would have kileld the System Shock 2 engine, because it was a portal based engine and every single one of those holes in the ceiling would likely generate portals crossing the whole scene, and portals crossing a whole scene were very expensive. :-)

Nice looking garage though. Very professional looking. All it really needs is more grime on the pillars and the ground, and some cars, and some actual lights for the light to appear to emit from.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#12]
Woah, really? You had no control over where the portals went?

sswift(Posted 2003) [#13]
Not much. I think you could coax it into placing portals in different locations by changing the order in which you added the brushes to the level but that was so time consuming nobody did it. Instead, if you look at the levels, they are VERY low polygon, with almost no stairs, only stupid looking ramps which are in may places too steep for a real ramp to be. Almost all the details are objects placed within the levels. For example, every window, door, computer, desk, crate, pipe, and handrail is an object, placed in the level, with no lightmapping done on it.

I believe they made the engine a portal engine, because Thief , the game whose engine we used, had a software renderer. I don't even rmemeber if they implemented hardware rendering in Thief at the end. I think they did, but I think all the lights stayed white because of the software rendering. I forget. I never played the game much. But anyhow, portals were good for software rendering because they enable you to texturemap only those pixels which are actually visible. So no zbuffer is required.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#14]
Gnu... That's what I'm talkin 'bout!!!

Nice looking level... how's the performance in Blitz?

--Mike

Gnu(Posted 2003) [#15]
Haven't got a frame rate on it but seems very frisky ;)

AthlonXP 1800, Radeon 8500

Gnu(Posted 2003) [#16]
Just checked and i'm getting about 107 fps on an AthlonXp 1800/radion 8500.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2003) [#17]
one of my to do maps is a unit we had at work
it was huge
it looks small on the outside but when its empty and you are inside it looked massive

without any real sence of scale i felt you could get a full scale model of most of max hyper into it