First Screenshots From LightBulb Users

Community Forums/Showcase/First Screenshots From LightBulb Users

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#1]
The first screenshots from LightBulb users have just been posted on the forum. I'm VERY excited, so I wanted to share them with you, just in case you never make it over to the Binary-people site. Hope that's okay :)
The 'Bar' is done by Psionic and the '3rd Person Shooter' is by Nibby.

You can see more on the LightBulb forum at
http://www.binary-people.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi

Red(Posted 2003) [#2]
what is it ?

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#3]
What is what? If you mean What is LightBulb then there's a link in my sig.
The screenshots are from 2 games currently in development that are using LightBulb as a development tool.
For info on the games you'll have to ask the respective authors at
http://www.binary-people.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi
in the LightBulb section.
:)

Psionic(Posted 2003) [#4]
I'm making 3 RPG bars/inns! A scruffy dive of a hole, a reasonable place (this one) and a large posh one...full interior/exteriors. I'm looking into selling em online for a supercheap price and not using turbosquid :))

I made this in Cinema 4D, UV'd and textured it in unwrap3D and lightmapped it in "Lightbulb"...took about 3-5 mins for 2800 tri's...its a cool tool ;)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#5]
Hey... does LB export .X format files after lightmapping and how does it handle the .x output?

Thanks

--Mike

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#6]
No, because .x only supports one UV layer ie. no lightmap co-ordinates are stored.
At least, that is, as far as Blitz is concerned. I'm unsure but I think that the version 9 .x files might be able to store such data, but as Blitz is DX7 it would be unable to use it.
I assume you're asking because you want to use LightBulb for DarkBasic ('cos for Blitz .B3D is a superior format anyway). I've been thinking about doing a DB version of LightBulb, but I'll probably wait until they've got their new .dbo format out.

LightBulb DOES export .B3D files, with all the texture tricks 'baked' in.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#7]
Thanks for the quick reply Skitch...

Actually, I was wondering about 3DRAD... currently, .X files are used by loading two models, each a copy of one another...

... one is the .x file with normal uv mapped textures, and the other is the light mapped .x file with the coords for the lightmapped texture.

LB doesn't export the two separate .x files and textures, does it?

Anyway... here are some more demo shots.

the partially constructed interior of the conning tower
from the sub sim im working on... rigged for red :)

a quick question in this pic... the lumel size?

--Mike

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#8]
Yes, lumelsize will help, but obviously there's an upper limit (depending on the size of your object and how long you're willing to wait!).

The better option is to use blur and lumelsize together creatively. Do some experiments until you find a good balance (I can't give you exact numbers because everybody's geometry is different).

Hmmmm... 3dRAD eh. I'd never even considered that as a potential market (I assumed they'd have a decent lightmapper by now). I've seen the '2 separate .x files' trick done before in Blitz. You've got me thinking now :)

Are there any other lightmappers for 3DRAD that I'd be competeing with?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#9]
just halo's cshop... :)

--Mike

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#10]
Quill3D also outputs .X files as 2 models - one with the uv's for the level, one for the lightmap.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#11]
Hey Ravey...

(1) is Quill3D shipping now?
(2) can you send me a .x lightmapped object (simple with 1 texture and the lightmap tex) to verify the thing works in RAD?

Thanks

--Mike

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#12]

is Quill3D shipping now?

"Lost in the Idigicon Zone"

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#13]
LOL

--Mike

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#14]
Yo Red,

1) Duno tbh (I've had mine for ages coz I was a beta tester)
2) Sure thing - will do :)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#15]
thx...

--Mike