A spaceship for no good reason

Community Forums/Showcase/A spaceship for no good reason

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#1]
It took 16 hours ( all day today basically ) and I have no purpose in mind for it yet, but I'm pretty happy with it. It's 1300 polys and a single 512x512 texture map.

TheMan(Posted 2003) [#2]
Very good, good work. hope I can see this spaceship in some real game ..

all the best
Hyderman

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#3]
Looks really good, in an almost-exactly-like-an-x-wing sort of way.

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#4]
Thats very nice indeed.

semar(Posted 2003) [#5]
Nice !

Which tool did you use to make the model and texture it ?

_PJ_(Posted 2003) [#6]
Looks great!

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#7]
Thanks for the kind comments, guys.

Anthony : I know.. You just can't win when it comes to spaceships. I showed it to a friend last night and the first thing he said was "You've totally ripped off Babylon 5". And I've never even seen Babylon 5. Strangely I didn't even notice that it looked like an X-Wing until you mentioned it.

Semar : It was modelled, UV-mapped and textured all within 3dsMax 5. Yes that includes the texture. I applied shaders, set up some lights and rendered to a texture. It's wasteful on UV space on some models, but it worked quite well for this model.

Physt(Posted 2003) [#8]
I love render to texture but it can be difficult to get it to export correctly. It least is was for me. Anyone have any shortcuts?

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#9]
Sure Physt.

This is from memory, so I may not get the wording perfect, but I'm sure you'll see it.

Pick the object you want to do it to, and pick Render to Texture from the Render menu. Make sure you set UV channel to 1. Click Add a map and choose complete map. Pick the map size. Go back and make sure UV channel is still set to 1 ( it changes it sometimes. )

Click Render.

When the texture is rendered, click the save button in the top left ( looks like a little disc ) and pick the filename. This is important because Max can sometimes mess up the autosave of the texture.

Now go to the modifier stack and click on Unwrap UVW ( just above your object. ) On the rollout click save and save the UVW mapping coordinates to a file. This is worth doing because if you mess anything up, you now have the coordinates and can simply load them in again.

Collapse all to bind the UV map to the object. Then load the newly created texture as the diffuse map on a new material and apply it to your object.

Export as 3ds if it's static. If it's animated, use whatever method you're currently using.

I'm guessing that your problem is not ensuring the UV channel is set to 1. I did that a few times myself.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#10]
Looks Great!!!

Ahhhhh... render to texture, so that's how those realistic skins are made...

... hmmmm, lemme see if this d@#n Truespace has that :)

--Mike

Ginger Tea(Posted 2003) [#11]
reminds me of the other babylon 5 fighter merged with an xwing

still nice

Bagels(Posted 2003) [#12]
I'd suggest at least changing the colorscheme from red and grey... that would dissuade some of the "looks like Star Wars" comments.

Zace(Posted 2003) [#13]
yes, make it yellow and blue, or purple...then we would say it reminds us of planetside - heheheh.

Coool ship.

I want to create a little sapce sim 3d thingy, but have absolutely NO experience of creating 3d objects!!!

Second Chance(Posted 2003) [#14]
I think it's just great. And since he's right about not being able to win with spaceships, I also think it looks very original. You can always say anything looks like something. I think it's very stylish, nice job.

*edit*
Sybixsus, I think I'd like to see some of your other work, do you have any other space oriented craft or designs. I might have some paying work for you. Let me know if your interested.

DH(Posted 2003) [#15]
This combined with possible bumpmapping in blitz (possible prayer) would make a GREAT space sim (or rpg)..