AlienEditor sneak peek!

Community Forums/Showcase/AlienEditor sneak peek!

SabataRH(Posted 2003) [#1]
An all in one world builder capable of anything and everything imaginable.

EOF(Posted 2003) [#2]
Ooohh. I like those coloured buttons. Great looking level.
I see 'flightpath' in there. Will that be an Anim controlled playback?

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#3]
I assume this is just for putting the rooms together and doesn't actually construct the geometry/ lightmap stuff? Whichever that level looks nice so it must be doing something right

I'm thinking about making something ike this for my own projects although it will be more like Gmax than well... this :)

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#4]
Love the interface !

SabataRH(Posted 2003) [#5]

I assume this is just for putting the rooms together and doesn't actually construct the geometry/ lightmap stuff?

Everyting imaginable, lightmapping.. geometry ... map crypting, mesh merging, shadowing, avi exporter, flight control deck, scripting and behavior engine, 3d-pathfinding .. just to name a few...

Syntax,
already in there..

AlienEditor is the product of many past editors I've created for all my games... This new approach is generic and easy to fit into any type of 3d application or game.
Once it's finished, i'll no longer have a need to make a new editor for every 3d-game project i start on.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#6]
holy crap, sounds awesome, how much is it gonna be?

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#7]
I have only two questions. When's it gonna be finished and how much am I gonna have to pay to get it? :D

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#8]
oooo - that looks a bit sexy :)

TheMan(Posted 2003) [#9]
Cool, features sounds interesting ...

Qcat(Posted 2003) [#10]
Nice Looks a nice :

and the Gui looks fantastic,

_PJ_(Posted 2003) [#11]
!

sswift(Posted 2003) [#12]
Pretty pictures. I'd like more information on how you edit levels and any data on the lightmapping system you'd care to provide. Like what sort of falloff equation you use for the lights. Linear? Exponential? Something in between?

And are the levels modeled with solids, or does it do CSG with boolean adds and subtracts?

SabataRH(Posted 2003) [#13]
For the most part mesh is imported as this tool is mostly directed towards 'world-building'. While it would be possible to build such designs in the editor - theres far to many better - modeler type applications already out for me to spend time dwelling on that aspect (maplet, cshop and soon quill3d). Levels are built and saved into chunks, a lvl could consist of say 14 chunks, a 'map' compile feature builds the level map into a single file (once installed). Maps can be protected via a password and easily decompiled.

Lightmapping falloff is handeled by Linear equation.

I noticed several posts asking about price of the product -AE will be released as freeware when complete, think I might of forgot that part :).

Koriolis(Posted 2003) [#14]
Wow. When, when, tell me ?!

SabataRH(Posted 2003) [#15]
not long.. as soon as our current game project is finished.

sswift(Posted 2003) [#16]
So you take arbitrary geometry like Lightbulb does, and generate non overlapping lightmap coordinates from that, and then light it?

How do you go about generating non overlapping coordinates? Do you simply unweld every triangle in the model and place them all on the lightmap each one given part of a square? Do you give larger polygons larger squares? Do you make any special concessions for polygons which are coplanar?

SabataRH(Posted 2003) [#17]
sswift,
Lightmapping is only a small part of what the editor does and not it's main purpose at all. But to answer your above questions - 'yes to all'. All lightmapping routines are derived entirely from Ellis and YAL's fine work hence the reason i've decided not to charge for this app..

Lightmapping in AE is completely configurable.. From texture size to pixel detail to light coloring to curves to brightness to range to strength. Objects can be mapped seperately in the editor or the entire map can be mapped at once via 'map scene' option. I've included every possible option imaginable to allow full control over lightmapping a scene.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#18]
Hey... that looks good enough for me...

Actually, I don't know if I am worthy... charge a lot, so I'll appreciate it more :)

--Mike

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#19]
Looks very good. What's the geometry editing like? Similar to Maplet or more like a standered 3d modeler?

AS far as the Lightmapper goes, is it pretty easy to render each light to it's own file? I always wanted to do a thief ripoff, and it seems to me having one lightmap per light and adding them together would be the way to go.

What file formats will/does it support.

If it works as good as it looks, it'll probably be my main level editer.

c5ven(Posted 2003) [#20]
nice.

what file format does it compile to?

Chip&Chop(Posted 2003) [#21]
o_O!

Synchronist(Posted 2003) [#22]
Very cool...

M2PLAY(Posted 2003) [#23]
WOOOOOOOOO !!!!
VERY VERY COOL ;-)
Great Work Sabata Rh

Rainking(Posted 2003) [#24]
Would love to get my hands on that

Zenith(Posted 2003) [#25]
capable of anything and everything imaginable.

Will it clean my room and give me $500? :D (great job sab :D)

snave(Posted 2003) [#26]
wow! looks very schmick! Love to have a play in it when its ready!!! Great Stuff!

poopla(Posted 2003) [#27]
Looks slick.

Agamer(Posted 2003) [#28]
Ok but you may of awnsered this already is it going to be freeware and wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwoo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Me like!!!

_PJ_(Posted 2003) [#29]
Totally Awesome!!!

By the look of the screenies, even I will be able to make something useful with this :)

Adam Bossy(Posted 2003) [#30]
Looks great!

What do you mean by 3D pathfinding? Pathfinding would be part of the game engine, not the level editor... I don't understand.

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#31]
You need to place your pathfinding nodes though, don't you? ;)

NTense(Posted 2003) [#32]
I just wet myself........ I think.. ;)

SabataRH(Posted 2003) [#33]
Adam,

Allows you to place and connect nodes in an easy manner. Has nothing to do with the actual game engine..

.rIKmAN.(Posted 2003) [#34]
OMG - This is the best looking editor I`ve seen for Blitz since///since...well..since EVER :)

Whats it compile to and when will it be out - day, month, year?

Also notice how damn brainy you and sswift sound with yer linear equations here and light fall linearity there....pesky know it alls.... :P (j/k)