it's a me, Mario.

Community Forums/Showcase/it's a me, Mario.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#1]
here's a few screenies for you guys of my mario game.

nibby(Posted 2003) [#2]
hmmm, just wondering.

are you making a full mario game? i wouldve thought that might infringe on just a few copyrite laws.

i'd check it out before you go too much further into it

apart from that it looks great. i think mario needs to be a little shorter and fatter tho.

;)
nibby

poopla(Posted 2003) [#3]
If he doesnt sell it it's as good as people making fan art.
Shouldnt be illegal.

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#4]
If he doesnt sell it it's as good as people making fan art.
Shouldnt be illegal.

Where DO people get this idea? Seriously.. I'd love to know because whoever spreads this idea needs to be stopped from doing so.

Many not-for-profit games and even mods have been given legal papers to stop them from developing it. It has absolutely nothing to do with making money. It's copyright, and you don't have the right. Unless you ask.

In fact in some ways it's easier to take action against a freeware game. A Mario game that you don't have to pay a penny for is obviously more likely to damage the copyright holder's sales than one which people have to be prepared to pay for.

Aside from the legal issues, why wouldn't you want to ask for permission? It seems like common courtesy to ask them. If you're afraid they'll say no then you already know that you shouldn't be doing it. In any case, they're far more likely to make a fuss if you're doing it behind their back than if you ask them up front.

Back on topic..

The screenies look nice, Sinu.. looking forward to seeing more.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#5]
i do plan on telling them, a long time before i release a demo, that's if they allow me to else i'll just change all characters etc.
fan art is picture etc not games?

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#6]
Fan art could technically be defined as anything I guess. I still say: Make Super Fabio! ;o)

It's a-me, Fabio...

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#7]
I think you should make your own game as well. If it's good then people will play it. You will be able to sell it from the off and you won't have to redo all the art after you have spent months creating it.

Anyway Nintendo are never gonna let you use mario so you will only end up changing it all later. I like Anthony's idea... big it up for the Super Fabio Brothers

starfox(Posted 2003) [#8]
then how did mark use markio

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#9]
I thought Markio was modeled on Mark himself. Any similarities between a certain fat italian plumber and the programmer of blitz must be a coincidence surely?

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#10]
"Fan art could technically be defined as anything I guess. I still say: Make Super Fabio! ;o) "

yeah, it's about time Fabio got his own game :)

Genexi2(Posted 2003) [#11]
I think you made his nose a lil' long.....

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#12]
No, Fabio really does look like that.

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#13]
yeah his hooter is too long

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#14]
I think Super Darius would be better:

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#15]
Fabio's gay, huhhuhuhuhuhu (A La Bevis n Buthead...)
Yea huuhuhuuhuuhu....

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#16]
huhhuhhuhhh he's like... a butt-puncher... huhhuhhhuhh
yeah, he's an ass-goblin huhuhhuhhhuhhhuhg

Oh, LOL! super Darius, I like, I like!

sswift(Posted 2003) [#17]
"If he doesnt sell it it's as good as people making fan art."

Which is also illegal.

But personally think copyright laws are too strict. If I want to make fan art, I should be allowed to do. Making money on it is a grey area. I'm not sure if that should be legal or not.

I should also be allowed to make addon packs for games. A lot of work goes into making an addon pack for a game. If a company allows people to make tools for their game to make free content that they benefit from, then the people who make that content should be allowed to benefit from it as well. I'm affecting company X's bottom line the same way if I SELL an addon or if I make a free one.

Hoewever it has been ruled in court that addons for games like Duke Nukem are not legal because they constitute "New adventures of Duke Nukem".

I wonder though, what they could do if someone made an addon which used NEW content and represented the adventures of SOMEONE ELSE, but using the Duke Nukem game engine. Hmm...

Anyhow the proof is in the pudding. Doom had third party addons out the wazoo being sold for it, which ID was getting no money for and it just made the game more popular and they still made their millions.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#18]
I think there's a lot of truth; a lot of sense in sswift's post.

In the digital age, the notion of intellectual property has gottten everyone jumpy. In an attempt to seal up all the potential leaks, I think they're beginning to go too far - they're cutting off the air supply...

I also think that the period of copyright for computer games should be shortened to reflect the nature of the medium; they're not like books! We don't need 70 years of copyright (or whatever ridiculous period of time it is now, thanks Disney!) on a videogame. And the rights of a company to hold a copyright should also be restricted - they're not like individuals; they don't die of old age...

Psycoach(Posted 2003) [#19]
@Anthony : I'm happy to read your point of view about that, for I happen to be planning the release of a game called "Platypio".

Anyway, according to my programming skills, I don't think I will be able to release this sequel before the 70 copyright years of the original is over... ;-)

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#20]
Heh, I say best of luck to anyone who wants to go to all the trouble to rip me off. I won't try to stop ya!
Er, that doesn't mean you can rip my graphics files though. ;o)

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#21]
Oh and does anyone remember the Great Gianna Sisters?

...no, I'm sure Nintendo won't mind(!)

Heck, Nintendo reckons emulator authors are criminals! Not ROM distributors, you understand. Actual emu authors.

Psycoach(Posted 2003) [#22]
I was just kidding : no such game in the pipe for me, and I would *never* rip anything from your work !

The only thing you can fear from me is my anger if can't buy your next game the very first day of its release ! ;-)

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#23]
Oh, don't worry, I know you were! (note to self - more smileys :o) :o) :o) )

Well I guess I better make sure the release goes to plan then! I don't want to have to live in fear of your anger ;o)

Craig Watson(Posted 2003) [#24]
I get it. Nintendo have thrown loads of money at the Mario idea over the years and people generally see Mario, think Nintendo, and think most Mario games are pretty good.

The problem is if Joe Bloggs makes a Mario game, and it sucks, people might think Nintendo was somehow involved, and those people might not buy genuine Mario games in the future because of it. I think they call this brand dilution.

Furthermore, if Nintendo don't protect the Mario franchise, even with tiny free fan games which hardly anyone ever sees, someone in the future could conceivably rip Mario off on a larger scale, charge for it, and then defend themselves in court by citing the examples of the free fan games.

It's just the way things work now, and don't be surprised if Nintendo's lawyers send you a letter about it.

To be honest, I don't see the point in doing fan games. If you're talented enough to write your own game, you should be clever enough to come up with some sort of original characters for it.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#25]
another reason for doing it is if people see a demo of mario3d which plays like 64/sunshine they may become interested in blitz even more, i know i got blitz after seeing the markio demo and wished to make a mario game.
the markio demo blows big style now yet it wowed me at first but now my demo still wows me everytime i stick it on.

ps anyway it's been scrapped, i've decided to start work on markio2, don't think he was copyrighted just yet :)

Craig Watson(Posted 2003) [#26]
Well there's nothing at all wrong with making it in the same style as a Mario game, you're just not allowed to use the Mario name or "likenesses" (nice vague legalese that is.)

But really, games like this can design themselves. Start with "I wanna make a Mario style game", then think of a character for it, say a mole. What can moles do? They can dig. So now you've got a somewhat unique aspect to your game, that differentiates it from being just a straight Mario rip off. You'll be able to then design levels exploiting this ability, and by the end you'll have a somewhat unique game. Mario is great and all, but it's not hard coming up with your own ideas.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#27]
"I also think that the period of copyright for computer games should be shortened to reflect the nature of the medium; they're not like books! We don't need 70 years of copyright (or whatever ridiculous period of time it is now, thanks Disney!) on a videogame. And the rights of a company to hold a copyright should also be restricted - they're not like individuals; they don't die of old age..."

I'm with you on copyright timespan (don't know much about how copyrights held by companies work however) but that isn't relevant to the fan-art/Mario issue. After all, Shigeru Miyamoto is still alive and making Mario games, the last of which came out less than a year ago.

Craig, I like that mole idea a lot. Would you mind if I developed that? Not saying I will but I'll be keeping that idea in the back of my head.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#28]

I'm with you on copyright timespan (don't know much about how copyrights held by companies work however) but that isn't relevant to the fan-art/Mario issue. After all, Shigeru Miyamoto is still alive and making Mario games, the last of which came out less than a year ago.

Oh yeah, totally. I was going off on a bit of a tangent there.

Ratboy(Posted 2003) [#29]
Easy enough fix: Make a fat little refrigerator repairman.

nibby(Posted 2003) [#30]
yeah make him Spanish/american too

Craig Watson(Posted 2003) [#31]
Joe, if you're serious, it's all yours. It was just a random thought, not something I intend doing myself.

Agamer(Posted 2003) [#32]
Well i hope this game could be released as it looks classy

FlameDuck(Posted 2003) [#33]
We don't need 70 years of copyright (or whatever ridiculous period of time it is now, thanks Disney!) on a videogame.
Interestingly copyright (in the US) was never really defined as anything other than a sufficient ammount of t
Start with "I wanna make a Mario style game", then think of a character for it, say a mole.
Monty on the run 3D! How cool would that be?!?

For those interested here is a good article about what is wrong with copyright in todays world. It points out that copyrights where originally set to expire after 14 years (meaning that there's a good chace that something you enjoyed would enter the public domain in your lifetime), and today they expire after 95 years (which means that unless you live to be 105 the original Mario games will not enter the public domain in your lifetime).

This opinion from The Economist also presents interesting points of view. An opinion which I happen to mostly agree with.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#34]
Excellent links as always, FD. If only copyright was still for 14 years, the world would be better off for it - that's still plenty of time to make your profit, and after that it becomes PD, and anyone can distribute it... brilliant. As the Economist says, it would even be worth accepting draconian copyright protection measures, if all works were returned to the public after 14 years.