Root Screenies

Community Forums/Showcase/Root Screenies

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#1]
early days screenies wise coz its been mainly gameplay ive been adding in.
Switches n keys to unlock doors, falling platforms, vines to climb, ropes to swing on, boxes to move, spikes and darts to avoid etc.

anyways - bare in mind the levels are test ones with not much in em yet.

http://www.miltronec.com/screenies.htm

*(Posted 2003) [#2]
Getem on a page with thumbnails etc ya git ;) (not actual peoples thumb nails but small piccies ;) ).

Nice piccies although when in the lava I would have possibly smoke particles rising from the player character to show they are burning it would look more asthetically pleasing :)

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#3]
lol edzie
ta
i have got hot smoke particles - they just havent shown up too well on the screenies
it looks good tho - really makes ya feel hot

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#4]
I wanna see but no can find server

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#5]
*sulk*

tis ok here :/

Rob(Posted 2003) [#6]
Cor they look awesome Ravey old son. I wouldn't mind playing that...

nibby(Posted 2003) [#7]
Ravey that looks cool. you say its just a test level but it looks pretty damn good to me. keep up the good work as i know you will ;0)

Nibby

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#8]
Hey, 'tis working now. Sweet.

Nice! BUT - once more, a few texture comments (sorry) ;o)

The portcoulis I think is a little too fat and jubbly, and looks a little "drawn" - and how come you can't see through it?

The texture on the arches looks wrong - too small compared to the wall, and the bricks don't make sense in context with the shape. The easiest thing to do would be to replace it with a non-bricked texture, like a "plain but lumpy" one. But the best solution would be to make a stone archway texture that corresponds to the shape.

In the big lava room, the texture is gridding quite obviously, on account of the dark corner. Also in this and other big areas, it's looking a little too plain. It could do with a few more struts and columns, alcoves, or just anything to create a bit more interest in the room. Otherwise all you get is acres of tiling texture; spoils the illusion.

[edit] oh, just a test level. Sorry.

Otherwise, cool!

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#9]
Hey Anthony!

Appreciate the feedback.

The portcoulis - you can see through them but you only see the door behind them (it's a way of showing that a door is locked by having a nawtie portcoulis blocking progression).

Arches - yup couldnt agree more. I have a few nice playdoh arches I made that i going to use - an example is in the original screenie i made:

The level really is a quick mock up to allow me to test stuff is working (or not as is usual!). Detail is very sparse at the moment - once everything is working i'll stick in the real levels.

Agree with all comments made and can't help but agree - thanks :)

[edit] ooh yeah - the portcoulis looks crap doesnt it! only added them in yesterday and drew a quick one - it does look poor i must admit, gonna make a proper one soon - all metal looking and stuff! [/edit]

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#10]
Cool - okay, I see what you're getting at with the naughty porcoulis - nice idea, but yeah, does look a bit poor, still nothing a quick proper-one-making wouldn't fix.

Still gotta love that original screenie... that door especially. Should be an absolute corker of a game I'm sure.

Zenith(Posted 2003) [#11]
Haha, Ravey those screenshots rock! Keep up the good work you git! :)

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#12]
cheers zennie yas big tart ;)

BlackJumper(Posted 2003) [#13]
I'm sure you've got this covered, but I thought I would echo Anthony Flack's comments about the portcullii (portculisseses ?)

They look very decal-like at the moment and of poorer quality than most other textures used.

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#14]
BlackJumper - *nod* - thanks :)