Community Forums/Showcase/Defensor game demo

robleong(Posted 2003) [#1]
Check out my new game demo on my new website:
www.gamerblitz.com

Comments (good and bad) appreciated.

Thanks!
Robert.

Bremer(Posted 2003) [#2]
Just curious as to how many games you have sold from your website. I'm working on a few games myself and have begun thinking about how to sell them. You website doesn't say anything about how to get the full versions and the price of them? I have downloaded the defender demo and will be trying it out later. But the screenshot looks nice.

JazzieB(Posted 2003) [#3]
Hi Rob - no need to let you know what my comments are, as you already know that I think it's great ;o)

Zawran - there are two main ways of selling your game from your site. The first is via a publisher, such as Idigicon or Binary People, and the other is via online distributors like BMT Micro, ShareIt and others of the ilk. There is no short answer and some investigation into which is more suitable for yourself is needed. You'll find plenty of threads on the subject here and at BlitzCoder if you do a quick search, but ultimately be prepared to do some research first - both in terms of where and the sorts of deals you're looking for.

robleong(Posted 2003) [#4]
Thanks for your reply, Jazzie.

Zawran, when I am just about to complete the full version of Defensor, I will put in the link on how to obtain it (e.g. as Jazzie said, through BMT micro [www.bmtmicro.com], etc.), and set a price at the same time - I hope to price it at US$10 or so. What kind of games are you writing?

Regards,
Robert.

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#5]
Defender is always a tricky one, cos people who played the original have a fairly set idea of how it should be.

Is it 2d in 3d? Either way, I would say that the particle effects are far too conservative. This is something from the original that you can't afford to lose. The ship explosion should be 'shock and awe'.

I'm not a big fan of textured 3D text in 2D games, but that's a small point.

It plays fairly hard, the aliens seem to have a good aim with very fast bullets. Can be a little frustrating.

Nice work overall tho, seems polished.

robleong(Posted 2003) [#6]
Thanks for your comments, MasterBeaker! The game itself is in 2D. I might change the explosions, on your suggestion.

Robert.

Bremer(Posted 2003) [#7]
I have done a Tetris (which I guess everyone has) and I have just finished a Bejeweled clone which turned out pretty allright according to some people I had test it. I'm moving from the east coast to Arizona at the end of july and I had thougt of setting up a website where I maybe could sell some games at $5-$10 each or something like that.

robleong(Posted 2003) [#8]
Good luck with your games, Johnny/zawran. Make sure you look up BMT micro.

robleong(Posted 2003) [#9]
I've now updated my Defensor demo to include the following:
- reduced the size of the demo from 2.33 to 1.57 Mb
- improved the particle effects (thanks MasterBeaker)
- increased the shield level from 1 to 10 units, so it's much easier now
- default control option is now keyboard; joystick control can still be selected