'Ban' - 3D RPG character...

Community Forums/Showcase/'Ban' - 3D RPG character...

Dock(Posted 2003) [#1]

Hello all! This is Ban, a character from a project I'm involved in. I used rigid vertex bones, so hopefully I should be able to export this guy to Blitz without too much problem. It'll be cool once he's up and running, literally ^_^ What do you think?

poopla(Posted 2003) [#2]
I think I want you on my team ^_^, cheers looks great m8.

Blue Steel(Posted 2003) [#3]
That looks awesome!

Darren Hebden(Posted 2003) [#4]
Ace, but I think he accidentally put on his sister's trousers this morning ;)

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#5]
Thats lovely - congrats!

SSS(Posted 2003) [#6]
thats _REALLY_ good, what program did you use :D

DarkNature(Posted 2003) [#7]
Oh how I wish I could get my head round this 3D stuff!
That looks really smart and, with that knife, more than a little dangerous.

Have fun.

Algo(Posted 2003) [#8]
I really like your work Dock, nice job.

If I had any criticism it would be that from the side view the eyes are a bit concave.

Dock(Posted 2003) [#9]
Thanks everyone!

Darren: This game takes place in a world where boys can wear girl's jeans, or something :) You know you want them too!

SSS: I use 3d Studio MAX for all my 3D stuff.

Polygon count is rather high at 2000, but this was necessary to pull off the super stylised art style of the original designer. Lots of those polygons went towards the hair too, which we decided was a justifiable expense - as this is the lead character for the project. ^_^

I'd like to maybe help with other people's projects too, I'm seeing how much time I have available - I don't think I would be able to do a *lot* of models for anyone, but maybe one or two... maybe... ^_^ However, I'm still working on a bunch of models I need to make for stuff.

Random request - is there by chance any animation data in B3D format availble which can be applied to models made in character studio? I know that you can apply the same animation data to models so long as they have the same bone structure...

DarkEagle(Posted 2003) [#10]
WOW i like that a LOT!
(especially the jeans - i want some! ;)

i wish i could do stuff like that :/

maybe i should get practicing!

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#11]
Dock - nice stuff again. Have you considered using simpler masked/alpha'd texture meshes for the hair? (see Shenmue) It would lower the poly count alot.

I don't think there is any way to get B3Ds or their animation data into Max, yet.

Dock(Posted 2003) [#12]
ALG - good point about the eyes profile, I'll tidy that up a little.

Masterbeaker - yeah we discussed using alpha textures for the hair (shenmue was the reference ^_^), but the original designer wasn't happy with the results, and wanted completely solid hair. It's only one character that has really spiky hair, so it seemed justifiable. We may consider a revised version of this model at a later date, but for now we felt it would be okay with chunky solid hair.

Regarding animations, I actually meant the opposite. I wanted to see if there was existing animation data that could apply to the B3D file in Blitz itself, much as Psionic's ninja animation data could probably be applied to his other characters. I need to find out more about this I think, hehe. ^_~ I'm half tempted to use Character FX to simplify the animation creation process.

DarkEagle(Posted 2003) [#13]
yes there is but make sure the joints are named the same. just find out what the ninjas joints are named, and name your joints the same, and i think you may be able to use extractanimsequence and addanimsequence to use those! :)

Akat(Posted 2003) [#14]
i love the texture

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2003) [#15]
I only have one thing to say..

OMG.. man gona please PLEASE> make a tutorial.. every step that went into making him.. ?

http://www.teamrebellion.co.uk/Gallery/PhotoAlbum.asp

There are some of my models. The tanks look ok but I cant seem to texture my wee monster at all. :(

I need a tutorial as Im still learning modeling.

JAW(Posted 2003) [#16]
Looks great! Lovely rendering and image there too.
Heh, he's got a fanny-pack on his head.

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2003) [#17]
Dock, I'm working on an exporter ATM and I could do with a good skeletally animated to get the exporter working.

See here:

http://www.blitzbasic.co.nz/bbs/posts.php?topic=21165

If you would like to e-mail me your model I will use it to get the exporter up and running and when I do I'll send you the converted model.

You can e-mail it to o.clark#ntlworld.com (replace # with @).

Darkheart

Dock(Posted 2003) [#18]
Yavin, I'm pretty sure I don't have time to make a tutorial :( Sorry!

Hi Darkheart - Slight problem in that I'm using MAX 5, there's no way to save it as an earlier file format. I noticed that the demo file you posted was using an earlier version of Max. It's rigged with character studio too - would this make a difference to you?

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2003) [#19]
I don't know how much difference there is between Max 4.2 & 5 maybe 4.2 can load 5 scenes, maybe not.

I'm using Charecter Studio 3.2 so that should be ok.

Mail it to me if I can't use it I'll have to come up with one of my own, will cost me a bit of dev time and won't be as good quality though.

Darkheart

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#20]
lemme add my applause... that looks very nice.

--Mike

Foppy(Posted 2003) [#21]
It looks very good. Maybe it's the hair, the smiling face and the big twinkling eyes, but just like with the Drop Hero character, I think this one also looks more like a girl than a boy.

Difference(Posted 2003) [#22]
Max 4 does not read max 5.

Checkout BackFromFive from:
http://www.scriptspot.com/bobo/darkmoon/bff/

Dock(Posted 2003) [#23]
Thanks for the link, that's really useful! Unfortunately it doesn't export any bone or character studio info. :( Bum.

Foppy... uh, I dunno what to say ^o^ They're not girls I promise! Is there something you'd like to share with the group? ^_~

I'll be modeling some girls at some stage too, don't worry. :D

Genexi2(Posted 2003) [#24]
Your anime styled drawings kick my anime styled drawing's asses, your 3d anime models kicks my....floor lamp's ass... XD (a little model I somehow made in GMAX from a torus...)

Foppy(Posted 2003) [#25]
>> I'll be modeling some girls at some stage too, don't worry.

I can't wait! I just hope they don't look like boys to me! Hahaha.. ;) Seriously now, "Banofi the Breakbeat Monkey" rules! I put a deep link here if you don't mind:

http://www.deadpanda.com/3d/banofi3d.shtml