Arkadion Demo released

Community Forums/Showcase/Arkadion Demo released

GfK(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hello,

Finally got around to uploading this. Only took 4 attempts today. Damned dialup. :/

Anyhoo, get it here. Oh, and here's a screenshot:

Couple of things. I'm totally NOT happy with keyboard control options. I only put it in cos several testers asked for it, but after much fiddling about I'm coming to the conclusion that keyboard control is never EVER going to work in a game like this. Also, there's only 2 levels in the demo. I think they're levels 6 and 10 out of 25, so they're to be classed as easy-to-moderate difficulty. Level passwords are disabled, as is the hi-score table (top 20).

That's about all. Oh, and turn up the volume. It's got nice music and beefy explosions in. :)

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2003) [#2]
A bit confusing, with all that tilting.

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#3]
GFK - for the keyboard have you considered having it accelerate the longer you hold the same key and perhaps get upto full speed after about half the screen?

Another thing that could add to the experience is (after a power-up) have the bat thing bounce off the walls.

[EDIT: oh and don't forget the rotating board. :)]

Neuro(Posted 2003) [#4]
I like the music!

SopiSoft(Posted 2003) [#5]
This is a very cool Arkanoid clone!!!
I like all the power-ups and the idea of enemies.
The music is cool too ;-)

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2003) [#6]
Not too bad. Although the rotating screen when you move is a bit offputting, and I often die because I can't see my bat during the big explosions. Also, are you meant to be able to shoot the ball directly upwards? As you can just keep your bat still, and hit lots of bricks.

Psycoach(Posted 2003) [#7]
A very great looking (and sounding) game !

My 2 cents comments/suggestions :

- part of the graphics is fine textured (the walls, the ball (could rotate but is also fine like that)), some not too much (the bat), some not at all : the baddies (not shadowed either)
- I found the tilting of the game plane disturbing at the beginning, but I found it ok after a while : it even increases the feeling of dancing on the music :-)
- I personaly prefer when the game shows how many lifes remain on 'stock' (à la Platypus), not the number of the life currently in use
- when the firing option is on, it would be great to see the bullets (it could even be the occasion of super-mega-great visual effects (cycling colors, flames powered rockets... ;-)
- the effect when the bricks disappear (becomming translucid and floating toward the player) is great : what about making the bricks that are shot/touched more and more transparent until they are broken and disappear like they do now ? ie. A brick that needs 4 shots/touches to be broken will go through 3 states of increasing transparency before disapearing : it is coherent with the way they disapear, the player knows their "state of destruction", and it makes another visual special effect
- for consistency reasons, the sound of the ball can't be metalic clear when hitting the bricks, and soft when hitting the walls concrete and the ball. I know it is a detail, but I think that improving that could contribute to enhance the immersion experience !
- I think the baddies should be destroyed by the ball(s) and/or the shots : they would then have another role as simply altering the balls trajectory and/or making the player loose energy when thouching his/her bat. Suggestion : In a perfect world, the baddies could even "absorb" the floating bonuses (if they reached them before the player collect them with the bat, or why not with the ball), releasing them only when they explode. The player could then aim at them when he/she thinks it will be easier for him/her to collect all the "undigested" goodies :-)

But your game is already excellent : that are only suggestions !

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#8]
oooo i like this game lots. has so much polish on it i had to put me sun glasses on :)

like it lots.

GfK(Posted 2003) [#9]
Updated the box art too (scaled down a bit - original image is 3800 pixels wide):