ProPixel 2D - First and Last Public Beta Release

Community Forums/Showcase/ProPixel 2D - First and Last Public Beta Release

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi all,

Well, this public download is more a test as to whether the core engine works on the best part of everyones machines. This will be the one and only public beta/WIP available, after this point it will be strictly available to Pacific Softwares beta team only.

Anyhow, try everything out, only drawing tool active is single pixel freehand. But this is enough to test the engine with.

Tools to Try from the Menu:
Palette > Edit...
Tools > Precision
Tools > Magnify

Hover over the tool box too, will give you tool tips at the bottom. Comes complete with an installer and uninstaller, so easy to delete once you've had a quick play. Don't be too alarmed if it crashes.

Win32 - EXE, runs without DX or OpenGL.
Supported OS: Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000/XP/XP
Minimum Spec: So far ran smooth on a P2 350, could be lower.

Screenshot (Got carried away testing magnify out)
ProPixel 2D Download v0.01 (523kb)

And remember, it's only 8 days of development including today, so be gentle with me. :)

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#2]
No crashes.

Zoom Bug: you can roll the mouse wheel to zoom in as you'd expect but you can't zoom out to 1:1 after you've zoomed in.

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#3]
Dr Av:

Yeah, good idea, you've just made my mind up on whether to allow it to jump out of zoom mode. Now here's the question, should it work with all Zoom modes, or just Direct? and maybe Split too. I don't think the floating mode would benifit from this.

Cheers for taking a look.

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#4]
Hi Snarty,

It looks promising. But I get an "Invalid gadget handle" error, when trying to edit the palette in Win2000.

Fredborg

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#5]
Hi Fred:

Could you let me know the exact steps you take before the error occurs. This is the first time this has appeared. Cheers.

wedoe(Posted 2003) [#6]
No errors here, even when editing palette in W2K....

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#7]
Seems like it crashes no matter what steps I take :) If I create or load an image first, I get the "Invalid Gadget Handle" error. If I have not created/loaded an image I get a "Program Error. PROPIX~1.exe has generated an error and is being closed by Windows....bla bla...An error log is being generated" (translated from danish). It doesn't matter if I have drawn anything, or loaded a new palette.

Fredborg

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#8]
Hmm, I've managed to crash it too, but only by opening and closing the editor 6 times, on the 7th time without fail, bang.. "pp2d has caused an unknown error in KERNEL32.DLL". My first guess would be a gadget freeing problem, I'll try it with only creating the Palette Editor once, and just hiding/showing whenever it's called upon.

Cheers for testing guys, and Fred, could you please post your system spec's. Not sure why it's reacting differently on two W2K systems.

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#9]
Windows 2000 Pro (DK), SP3, 5.00.2195, P4 2.2GHz, 1GB Ram, GeForce 4-Ti4200 128Mb Ram, DirectX 9.0.

Are you by any chance using floats to store the handles of the gadgets? I've seen other unexplainable crashes on that account. They only happen on systems with a large amount of memory.

Hope you figure it out,
Fredborg

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#10]
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, good point, there are a couple of times a float array is used, I don't normally use floats for any handle's but you could be right. Thanks for reminding me, easy to lose sight of the obvious :)

.. off to hunt for sneaky floaters.

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#11]
Nope, that was'nt the problem, even after spending the best part of 30 mins changing and splitting Arrays. Now I'm really stuck, guess I'll resort to the "Keep in Memory" approach for now until free gadgets is a little more stable.

If you want I can send you the new Non-float handles version. See if that sorts the intial crash on opening the Palette editor.

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#12]
Sure thing... Everything is fine and dandy in the new version!

Fredborg

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#13]
Ok, sent.. :)

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#14]
^ look up ^

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#15]
LOL, cheers, well at least that's sorted that problem out. :))

Cheers for testing, can continue with further development now. If you open and close the palette ed 7 times does it crash?, out of interest.

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#16]
Yes :) Good luck, with the development...

Fredborg

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#17]
Latest Screenshot, been revamp a little, also a few bug fixes, coming along nicely though :o)

ProPixel2D v0.06 Screenie
Dual Monitor View

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#18]
Ok, I know I said only one public beta, but to be honest the look, feel and style of it has changed that much since the original WIP, it was pointless keeping it as the preview. So, below is the showcase (including a small help list for the various menus).

ProPixel 2D Beta Showcase v0.122a

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#19]
Ok, new version, 0.124a, where some issues that needed resolving so the latest should run bug free. (glitch free I can't promise yet ;))

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#20]
Ok, here's a rough list of what PP2D can do at the moment.

Features:
Autodocking Palette and ToolBox.
Floatable Palette and Toolbox.
Hide/Show Palette and Toolbox. (When floating Pops to Mouse)
Full Hotkey support.
Load 3 Mouse buttons with Colour.
Quick Clear image to Right Mouse Button Colour.
Loading of BMP, PNG, IFF, JPG, PP2D Images types.
Saving of PP2D (Restricted to 24bit Compressed for beta) image type.

Redo/Undo System:
Full Multiple Undo/Redo support.
Undo/Redo User Control Panel.
Set Undo/Redo Miximum history in both Mb's and Count.
Disable/Enable Undo/Redo System.
Harddrive Limited Undo/Redo history option.

Tools:
Free Hand Drawing.
Line Tool.
Circle Tool.
Selection of Preset Brushes.
Precision Window. (detail view of whats below the cursor and brush (x4 zoom))

Magnify:
Magnify Tool. (Zooms from x4-x32)
3 Magnify modes. (Direct, Split and Floating)
Centre On Pointer Mouse Wheel Zooming.

Palette:
Fully featured Palette Editor.
User Defined 256 Colour Palette Banks. (10 Palettes Per Bank)
Save/Load Palette Banks.
Full control of HSL/HSV and RGB colour attributes.
Spread Tool to for easy gradients in Palettes.