test

Community Forums/Showcase/test

Andy(Posted 2003) [#1]
I am working on some FPS timing code and need somebody with a slower computer to test the system.

I am using a 1400MHz Celeron with 512MB RAM and a Geforce 256DDR for development right now.

The demo is here: http://ccc.ccc.ccc.ccc/demo03052003b.zip
(approximately 600kb on a slow connection)

First the system is setting up and displaying some debugging info, then the demo starts.

The demo is basically a flightsim where you use arrow keys and a+z to control the camera.

You will see certain information on the screen that I really need to know together with your specs - CPU, RAM and Graphicscard:

Gamelogic FPS:
Graphics FPS:
Physics FPS:

How is it running? Smooth or choppy?

Thanks

Andy

Psycoach(Posted 2003) [#2]
Glad to be able to help you.

My graphic card is an Asus V8200 Deluxe GeForce3

Here the results with the different resolutions :
1:
(The rest was out of the screen)

2:

3:

4:

5:

The first figure is always approximated, for it kept changing, and the 3rd one kept counting down, so I took an approximation also.

Andy(Posted 2003) [#3]
Thanks for testing it Psycoach,

I just uploaded another version, and was wondering if you wouldn't mind trying it again? :)

http://ccc.ccc.ccc.ccc/demo03052003b.zip

This time there are only 3 variables:
Gamelogic FPS:
Graphics FPS:
Physics FPS:

Is it running smooth or choppy?

The objective is ofcourse that the Graphics FPS should be around 55-60, physics FPS around 30 and gamelogic as fast as possible while still maintaining a smooth game!

Andy

Psycoach(Posted 2003) [#4]
Hop, I did it again ;-)

It is always smooth.

The results are the same for the five resolutions graphics FPS are always 59, and Physics FPS 31.

The only thing that *I have the impression* is changing is the gamelogic FPS, more around 264k for the 3 first resolutions, and more around 262k for the two lasts.

If you want, I can conduct another test serie where you would have included the calculation of an average that appears after 20 seconds "flight", and that for each resolution.

Andy(Posted 2003) [#5]
>It is always smooth.
>The results are the same for the five resolutions graphics
>FPS are always 59, and Physics FPS 31.

Now that I have an idea that it works on PC's more powerful than mine, I just need to get someone with a slow machine to test it...hehe... Why did I pull my old 200MHz machine a few months ago :(

>The only thing that *I have the impression* is changing is
>the gamelogic FPS, more around 264k for the 3 first
>resolutions, and more around 262k for the two lasts.

You are right... The gamelogic is not throttled and is always running at the fastest possible speed, which ofcourse changes depending on how fast the PC is and how much the PC has to do overall.

>If you want, I can conduct another test serie where you
>would have included the calculation of an average that
>appears after 20 seconds "flight", and that for each
>resolution.

Thanks, but I don't think an average is needed. My main worry was that a graphics card could be 'too fast' or a CPU 'too slow' and confuse the system, meaning just 1 graphics FPS(Which really sucks). The only problem is that a slow PC should get a lower graphics FPS, maybe something like 45-50FPS... Which really doesn't matter as the physics and controls are still running at the right speed which should still make it smooth.

I get 57-59 Graphics FPS, 31 Physics FPS and around 81000 Gamelogic FPS and it's smooth. If I put in my Geforce 2 GTS, I get about 150000 Gamelogic FPS and it's still smooth.

Anyway thanks, I may call upon you to test it when I get around to putting in physics and the terrain system :)

Andy

Andy(Posted 2003) [#6]
I am starting a new thread in 'off topic' instead, as it seems that there is more trafic which should yield more responses.

Andy