pitch 'n' put golf (WIP)

Community Forums/Showcase/pitch 'n' put golf (WIP)

DarkNature(Posted 2003) [#1]
I'm having a bash at doing a 2D golf game at the moment and I'd like it if someone could take a look at what I've done so far.

At the moment its not much of a game. Just a test-bed for the physics and what-have-you. Theres no instructions either and the graphics are crap, but as I say, I'm still just trying to make it handle right.

If anyone would like to have go at it, theres a link here: >>Clicky<< .

Cheers.
Have Fun.

Psycoach(Posted 2003) [#2]
I think it's a bit like a mini-golf gameplay right now (but the ball takes off), and the movement of the ball is very smooth.
The ball is a bit too fast in my opinion, but the acceleration feeling is good also ! :-)

Blue Steel(Posted 2003) [#3]
Although I do not download anything without seeing a screenshot first, the name intrigued me. Is this a remake of the original Pitch 'n Putt?

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#4]
Shouldn't it be, "putt"?

DarkNature(Posted 2003) [#5]
Thanks for that, Phycoach. Yes, it is going to be more mini-golf like than a full-blown 14 hole jobby.

Brice: I didn't do any screenies because, like I say, the look of it is a bit crap just now. Going to work on that next.

Anthony: Good point (Doh!)

Have fun.

MuffinRemnant(Posted 2003) [#6]
DarkNature:

A couple of things..

The putter seems less affected by wind than the driver (as one would expect) but seems pretty 'strong' - I'd use the putter all the time - it might not go as far but it's much easier to control/more accurate. Maybe you should reduce it's power?

Add a ball shadow to enhance the perception of height - the same size as the ball but just offset to the left (say) according to height. It'd be a doddle to add in one line of code.

I take it you'll have an indicator to the hole? Or will the player be able to scroll the map around?

Add a delay after the ball hits the water - it's disconcerting to find the map suddenly shift (of course a nice watery-plop-animation would be good but see below). It'd be better to slowly auto-scroll the map to the new ball location after it's been dunked!

Overall it's shaping up goodly. Don't worry about the graphics for now - I guarantee you'll get sidetracked and never finish it if you do!

DarkNature(Posted 2003) [#7]
Thanks, MuffinRemnant.

All good stuff, that. I'd already thought of a couple of the points you mention, but there are also a couple that I had overlooked.

Getting the relative power settings for the clubs has been a right old pain, let me tell you.

I'll have a look at implementing all this stuff in the morning and post an update then so you can see what you think.

Cheers,
Have fun.