:: Rocket Boards - new screenshots

Community Forums/Showcase/:: Rocket Boards - new screenshots

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#1]
I have had some computer problems recently but now everything is working again I feel like showing off the latest batch of Rocket Boards screenshots.

Visit my website to see full size versions of all the screens

http://www.binarymoon.co.uk/index.php?page=games/g_rocket_boards.htm

Comments would be loverly :)

Also if anyone has any ideas for names for this GrandPrix that would be good. I am trying to think up names that have some sort of link with music/ film titles.

For example the Beach Grandprix is called 'Beach Boards' (Beach Boys) and the canyon Grandprix is called 'Canyon Board Run' (Canon Ball Run) so if anyone can think of something to do with these screens that would be good. I also need a name for the final grandprix. BTW The last grandprixs tracks are all based on real life Formula 1 circuits.

SSS(Posted 2003) [#2]
thats awsome, one of the best games iv seen from blitz, is there any chance that you could make the crowd out of sprites tho... other than that thats sooo cool it looks really high quality, i remember playing the first demo in DB always loved the series.

you should really try to get that published by a big game house

Foppy(Posted 2003) [#3]
It looks great. Does it play a bit like Wipeout?

Some far-fetched grand prix name ideas:

Board Walk (name of movie, also "Under the...")
All-a-Board
Board Games (War Games, also games played on a board...)
Board to the Future (Back to the Future...)
Steam Board Willy (aaargh...)
Boarderline (Madonna)
Kart-Board Challenge (aaargh...)
Hop-a-Board
Board to Death (only kidding!)
Never-Board (same joke as above only in a positive way)
Board Simpson (ok this makes not much sense either)
Speed Board (Speed Ball game, suits the arena track)
Hypa-Board (Hypa Ball game on c64, it rocks)
(Great) Boards of Fire (great balls of fire, song, movie)
Thunder Board (Thunder Ball, James Bond movie)
Board-fest at Tiffany's (ok bit too far fetched maybe)
Mother-Board (as in mother board, the board of all boards)

OK now it is getting silly! ;)

Synchronist(Posted 2003) [#4]
Board-r-Line

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2003) [#5]
It does play a little bit like wipeout.
I'm not normally a fan of these sorts of games but this game is very good and the board handles well just as you'd except. The gfx are great too. I like the southpark woman dressed up in a big coat.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#6]
Funny, I just Googled up your site again to point someone to some decent Blitz stuff, and saw these new shots -- didn't realise they were that new!

That reminds me a bit of a Roman chariot racing, uh, place to me, so maybe something with a Ben Hur type flavour (though I'd be careful of using that name)...? Well, it's a film, anyway... ;)

I think I've said it before, but people should be aware that this thing plays as nicely as it looks! The movement is really nice.

How long until it's ready to rock, Ben?

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#7]
How come you guys have all played it HUH? And I've been patiently waiting and waiting...

is there any chance that you could make the crowd out of sprites

AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Seroiusly though, I think it could benifit from having a bunch of faces+upper bodies drawn onto the texture, they are a little too close to be rendered in that "random blobs of colour" fashion...

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#8]
Looks crap Ben!

Um... not really! Every time you update us with shots it looks better and better.

DarkNature(Posted 2003) [#9]
it does look really ace, mate. i'll have to look at getting a copy.

have fun

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#10]
"How come you guys have all played it HUH? And I've been patiently waiting and waiting..."

The way Enay spoke about the game i'm guessing he's a beta tester (I wish George would tell me who they are)

Anthony - the original DarkBASIC version of the game is on my website... be warned it's pretty naff though :)

The crowd is actually a photo of a crowd played with a bit and not random blobs of colour. You don't really notice them in the game so I'm not going to bother changing them. That and its too much like hard work :)

"you should really try to get that published by a big game house "

-- will Idigicon do :) Actually you'll be able to buy the game from my website which will make me more money so go for that one. The game has been designed to be as small as possible and is currently just over 2.5 meg when compressed. It will definately be under 3 meg once finished.

James - I will be starting the 15th track (of 16) at the weekend (around playing Zelda which comes out tommorrow). Once the tracks are finished there will be a week or two of tidying things up and its done.

Foppy - I quite like Great Boards of Fire.

Rob - Ta... i've been having a go at Buffys texture today. Will post something once its done.

Ice9(Posted 2003) [#11]
WOW That looks great!!

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#12]
Sorry, I didn't mean random blobs of colour in a pejorative sense! Thinking about it more, I guess if the game is moving at speed it wouldn't matter - I shouldn't judge by screenshots...

under 3 megs - well done! My admiration increases tenfold. Might have to pay your website a little visit sometime... when I can afford to that is :o(

Neuro(Posted 2003) [#13]
Any closer to demo?

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2003) [#14]
The easiest way to get away with crowds looking like that is to have them positioned higher in bigger stands. At that distance further away from the camera, they look more like crowds and less like flat textured walls.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#15]
... more liviely colors to represent the people in the spectators gallery... right now they sorta look like rocks or pebbles.

Other than that, it looks superb!

--Mike

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#16]
Neuro - the entire game is nealry done. Once it is the demo will only be a little while away. There will be one :)

As for the crowds I think i will be changing the texture since the crowds are used in the next grandprix as well, and the brown tint doesn't go too well with the other level.

Any more ideas for names?

Foppy(Posted 2003) [#17]
Some names, though not really music/movie related ones:

Formula-B (since they are F-1 tracks)
Leaderboard