New commercial game

Community Forums/Showcase/New commercial game

Marcelo(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hello folks,

We are producing our third commercial game with Blitz 3D, it's amazing to see how powerful this tool is, of course it need a lot of code to implement the missing issues, but is worth the price if compared to the other commercial engines.

Please, take a glance at these screenshots:

here: http://www.greenlandstudios.com/pt/sej/sej.html
and here: http://www.greenlandstudios.com/pt/sej2/screenshots.html

We will be pleased to hear some opinions and critics about the graphical quality.

Green Land Studios (an brazilian company)

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#2]
looks great, whats the game about?

wedoe(Posted 2003) [#3]
I think the GFX looks very good but the rooms could be a little more dense with stuff, seems a little agorafobic to me....

Just IMHO of coz

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#4]
Yeah, looks really nice, but tell us what the game involves! :)

SopiSoft(Posted 2003) [#5]
the graphics look great man!!!

SopiSoft(Posted 2003) [#6]
He Marcelo,
are you using sprites for the characters in the screenshots on this page? :
www.greenlandstudios.com/pt/sej/sej.html

Physt(Posted 2003) [#7]
I love the buildings. Best Blitz3d screenshots I've seen so far. Nice work.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#8]
SopiSoft

The gouraud shading on the characters would lead me to believe they're models.

MadJack(Posted 2003) [#9]
Seems to be true of computer game urban environments that they're often more roomy than the real thing - helps with pathfinding I suppose..

Marcelo(Posted 2003) [#10]
Thanks everyone,

The game is something like splinter cell, you have to go through the levels avoing cameras, guards, hiding in the shadows and so on. The characters are from two singers called Sandy and Junior (famous here in Brazil) and we can't kill or hurt then (that's why we choose to make a more strategic game).

SopiSoft, we use b3d bone animated meshes for the characters as usual? they seem flat in the screenshot? :)

The rooms are larger to allow more freedom for the player and the NPC's, and we also have a low polygon budget. :)

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#11]
I'm assuming you have Sandy and Junior's permission then...?

SopiSoft(Posted 2003) [#12]
ok, if those are real models then they look awesome!!!

Great job!!! :-D

Sunteam Software(Posted 2003) [#13]
Looking real good :)

Marcelo(Posted 2003) [#14]
Anthony,

Yes, we have their permi$$ion :)

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#15]
Heh heh gotcha

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#16]
First lot of screen shots are totally awesome.
The lighting in the second set doesnt look right / convincing at all. I am guessing the second set of screenshots are vertex colored rather than lightmapped - If you lightmap them instead I think they will look great.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#17]
I dunno, if they ARE vertex coloured, I'd probably be inclined to keep them that way if the levels are at all large. Lightmapping must chew up quite a bit of extra texture memory, and in this case they look alright without it. I guess you could include it as an option...?

Anyway, I'm sure you guys know what you're doing.

Knotz(Posted 2003) [#18]
Marcello,

The screenshots look very nice, however looking at your portfolio an de s&j models your strenght is at modeling people and things like planes.

The visuala are good but miss some architectural touch. The rooms could be designed a little further. At the moment they look a bit,...heh..., boring.

On the whole a hell of a lot work. Keep on.

Steven

Psycoach(Posted 2003) [#19]
I am totally impressed !

I will bookmark this page to show my friends what can be done with Blitz (along with Platypus, of course !)

Now, question time :
- How long did it take to your team to realize this game ?
- How many were you ?
- Will the game be translated in english / in other languages than portuguese ?

cyberseth(Posted 2003) [#20]
How did you do the green colouring of certain levels? Gamma commands?

Marcelo(Posted 2003) [#21]
Ravey and Anthony,
All the screens are lightmapped(with YAL), but to video memory requirements we need to decrease the overall lightmap resolution.

Stevenm,
I'm not the modeller, just ordinary a programmer. :)
This architectural touch you mean adding more details?

Psycoach,

There are 5 people in our company, 2 artists and 3 programmers, most of the work you see there is made by the two artists only. We hope to translate it to english and spanish. :) The game isn't finished yet, it take about three months to be done.

Cyberseth,
To be sincere with you, this green coloring at the screenshots is made in photoshop, but it very close to the effect in realtime. It's a gamma change together with a green noise alphaed sprite near to the cam.

dwarfking(Posted 2004) [#22]
whoo -- tight jeans, man!

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#23]
i'm a likin' what i'm a seein...

very nice scenes Marcelo...

on your 3rd game already, and I aint even finished my first yet...

... completion envy setting in here :)

--Mike

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#24]
Bah - FPS sucks - no, wait, just kiddin :) Looks very nice.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#25]
Looking okay...

I think some of the lighting in your interiors need more shadows. If you look around any room you are sat in or walking through. Look at how much of it is in shadow to understand what I mean.

You miss it if it is not there, things look slightly unreal/false.

Don't get me wrong it's looking great, just needs a little more contrast in some of the furniture laden rooms.

IPete2.