Bubble Bomb 1.6 Demo

Community Forums/Showcase/Bubble Bomb 1.6 Demo

Warren(Posted 2003) [#1]
I released a new (and hopefully final) version of my game, "Bubble Bomb". The first version was using the Blitz "text" command and it caused bad slowdowns for enough people that I decided to bite the bullet, register a copy of FONText and use bitmapped fonts. So, if you downloaded it the first time and experienced that problem, you might want to try the new version :

http://www.respawngames.com/bubblebomb

Thanks!

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#2]
Nice demo, a lot more complex and cunning than it looks.

I got 850 points and a string of 10. Is that bad?

Warren(Posted 2003) [#3]
Not bad ... that's a good game for me! However, I seem to be on the low end of the scale. My friends are routinely racking up scores in the many thousands. I don't really understand how yet. Heh.

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#4]
A little better: 994 and 11.

Definitely needs a smart-bomb or something. :)

Chip&Chop(Posted 2003) [#5]
1450 and 11

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#6]
Minor bug-ette, vaguely, sorta: in windowed mode, you can't tell by looking at the cursor if you have a bomb to use like in full-screen (it's too distracting to have to look down to the thing at the bottom :)

How about a HidePointer for windowed mode and keep drawing the pointer image as per full-screen?

Also, it installed an icon in my quick launch bar, which is a criminal offence as far as I'm concerned! :P

Very addictive, though, and I like the music!

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#7]
Oh, and I got a string of 19 with 716 points :)

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#8]
Woohoo - 2046 and 12! It's incredibly addictive once you start to uncover a part of the formula, and yet so simple.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#9]
James
How about a HidePointer for windowed mode and keep drawing the pointer image as per full-screen?

I considered that, and tried it at one point, but it sort of looked cheesy. I might add it as an option for a future version (if I end up doing another one).

MasterBreaker
Woohoo - 2046 and 12! It's incredibly addictive once you start to uncover a part of the formula, and yet so simple.

Hehe, I've started to work out some basic strategies now myself. I don't just take what I see at first glance ... I look around, plan a few moves ahead, etc. It's really pretty involved when you start to shoot for really high scores.

But I've never broken 2000 before. Good show. :)

Tiger(Posted 2003) [#10]
I Love it, Addictive, Yes!!!

Score:5054
Strings:19

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#11]
824 / 20 -- I believe that makes me The String Daddy!

I considered that, and tried it at one point, but it sort of looked cheesy.

Yeah, I guess that's perfectly possible; you expect the Windows cursor on the desktop, I suppose...

[EDIT]
2772 / 11 -- no, come on, who da man?! WHO DA MAN?!!!

BTW That music reminds me of an old Cure b-side, around the 'Japanese Whispers' era...

chaos51(Posted 2003) [#12]
Great game, addictive.
Found a little minor teeny weeny bug in the highscores (you can have a very long name, which falls out the screen)

But that's just details, keep up the good work ;0

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#13]
I managed to get a hi score of 1940 and a string sized 23 (sticks tongue out at james)

I wasn;t too impressed the first time i played it but it grew on me. The simplicity of the game gives it that 'one more go' thing that alot of games miss. That and trying to beat James :)

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#14]
I didn't get anywhere near those scores...

You should really do a windowed blitz+ version (so it works under nt) of this for people to play at work, it's ideal for that kind of thing, also, it will help distribution of the demo. Make sure it has the esc key to pause and minimise for when the boss comes round the corner.

The reason why I say this is that it reminded me of clickit, a desktop game I had on my PC at work, but bubblebomb is more fun. Obviously if you have it as a desktop game you're going to have to be able to switch off sound and so on (as you can already).

Anyway, I thought it was great fun.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#15]
Well, there IS an option to play windowed ... just turn off the "fullscreen" checkbox on the options screen. Should work.

Does Blitz3D even run on NT?

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#16]
Yeah a B+ windowed version is essential. :D

Warren(Posted 2003) [#17]
I just registed a copy of B+ ... I don't know if I'll be doing a Bubble Bomb in it though. :P

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#18]
Blitz3D requires DX7, NT only goes up to DX3 I believe.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#19]
Epic, this kind of game is perfect for old work machines running NT (using such a system here right now), and it shouldn't involve much work at all to get it running in BlitzPlus (which is what you'd need for it to run on NT4)... very suitable for getting people to try your demo at 'work'.

Ben Moon: I'll get you yet! Still haven't managed to hit my own 20-string since...

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#20]
I just got 1986 points with 15 string.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#21]
I REALLY wish Blitz had a PocketPC edition because I think that's where this game would shine the most. People playing on the bus on the way to work and things like that.

Or... do BlitzPlus EXEs run on WindowsCE?

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#22]

Or... do BlitzPlus EXEs run on WindowsCE?

Nope :(

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#23]
I got a 25 today... :) The actual score above is still my highest though - I just can't get over the 2000 mark :(

I really should get on and finish my own game :)

Are the bubble colours generated randomly or is there some patern?

Warren(Posted 2003) [#24]
It's entirely random.