XLnt ii pic....

Community Forums/Showcase/XLnt ii pic....

Yappy(Posted 2003) [#1]
XLnt ii GUI is coming along nicely ..... nearly at beta-test stage. So if any of you want to beta-test in the next couple of weeks please email me ;)

Also - nows the time for feature requests please, I'll try and include as many as possible :)

here's a screenie - not the default color scheme BTW, but it looks nice

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#2]
Very sexy!

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2003) [#3]
cool !

Yappy(Posted 2003) [#4]
cheers beaker - wot about the pic tho ? :P

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#5]
That looks very nice indeed!

Synchronist(Posted 2003) [#6]
Yow! Very cool yappy! Looks more "refined" than your first release...

Red(Posted 2003) [#7]
it's B+ or B3D ?

Yappy(Posted 2003) [#8]
not been tested on B+, but should work fine

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#9]
Strange question, not as if B+ needs it.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#10]
Some might want to use it in B+ for the looks I suppose

Yappy(Posted 2003) [#11]
hmmmm - just tested it on the B+ Demo and it wasn't a perfect success :(

apart from having to use SetFont whenever I print something (which isn't such a big deal - cus I'm gonna use Bitmap Fonts eventually) - there is a massive slow-down (more than half-speed at some points). Don't know why - on B3D it runs at a steady FPS with debug enabled - strange??

anyway - not bad for a dry run, hopefully I'll get it working 100% with B+ :)

Bouncer(Posted 2003) [#12]
Looks very nice. I like the first one very much and I'm using it as a GUI in my rigid body object editor.

Good job.

Uhfgood(Posted 2003) [#13]
I've only briefly looked at XLnt, what makes II different than I ?

Yappy(Posted 2003) [#14]
faster, more compact, more features, easier to update, and just generally nicer :)

everything a sequel should be

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#15]
What would be cool is if you could use XLnt to augment B+ with some nifty things it doesn't have.

Drawing some XLnt stuff to a canvas inside a normal B+ window. Similar to the way that 3DS MAXs UI works, most of it is custom drawn.

Something that would be a great addition would be collapsable/titled panels (see 3DS Max for an example).

MRaven(Posted 2003) [#16]
Hi Yappy,

this looks very sexy...as always. :)
Would love to help you with betatesting.

Second Chance(Posted 2003) [#17]
That looks awsome Yappy! So here's the feature requests you asked for: make a gui_txtlist() that can return the lists selected line number with gui_gadval(), not just the selected text. XLint 1 doesn't do that and I really wish it did, hint, hint ;) Also, ability to control font heights, or better font control overall, which is also difficult in ver.1. And one more for the road; colored window backgrounds! Well, that's all I can think of for now :)

One question; will the functions mostly be the same? I'm putting a lot of effort into learning XLint, and it would be nice to know that knowledge will carry over. Thanks.

Oh! And gui_selector() that can have the current line made to be any item in the list.

Ok, now that's all I can think of...for now $:-)

Yappy(Posted 2003) [#18]
thanks guys ;)

beaker : working on those expandable panels right now ;)

MRaven : ta ;)

second : fonts? hmmmm - i've never seen the point of having different fonts myself? Or is that just me? Anyway, font control may be limited if I finally go with Bitmap Fonts (damn that text bug!) - so would fine font control be missed by anyone? Window colors - ahem! look at the pic m8 - its Blue! :D - seriously, at the moment you can specify a windows color, and the color of each gadget.

XLnt ii uses very similar syntax to Xlnt, so there shouldn't be too much difficulty in upgrading.

MRaven(Posted 2003) [#19]
Frankly, yes. Font control would be missed. (at least by me :)) For example, I disliked the font of XLnt, ist was too big. A slim sexy font is a must. :) If the bitmap font is slim, I could MAYBE pass on the "sexy" issue. :)

Yappy(Posted 2003) [#20]
what about the font in the pic - sexy enuff?

MRaven(Posted 2003) [#21]
From the picture I would say yes...

ronbravo(Posted 2003) [#22]
How is the input and float gadgets going. Are they some what faster? And is there a way you can enable using of the num pad for entering numbers. I also wanted to ask if it was ok if I changed some of the code in XLnt 1? Nothing major just small things like changing the font speeding up somethings and change the colors of some of the windows.

RexRhino(Posted 2003) [#23]
Customizable skins, or an easy way to use our own drawing functions, would be good.

It would be nice to be able to create a sci-fi look, or a fantasy look, and to use the Gui in a game. This is definitly something I would be willing to pay for, and would no doubt be of immense value to many Blitz users (Blitz is a game programming system, after all).

You could have your system call certain pre-defined functions, for example:

DrawButton(int x1,int x2,int y1,int y2,string button_title, string button_tooltip, boolean button_tooltip_on)

And then we could insert our own actual drawing code, to effect the look and feel.

The GUI looks great though! I have used Xlt GUI in my own projects, and it was definitly very useful. I am looking forward to your new version!