My 2D artwork

Community Forums/Showcase/My 2D artwork

Phil(Posted 2003) [#1]
This is stuff I made for past games, one of them in BlitzBasic. None of them were commercial but I enjoyed the work.

Mongar's Prophecy

Dimension Bomb

Last Guardian

Arthur

Cave Explorer

More can be found at ...

http://www.outer-court.com/design/gameart.htm

Feedback welcome! You can also post at my site.
Philipp

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#2]
Love those graphics, the Arthur ones are my favorite - very cool. Great site too, wikid design :)

Very well done all round i rekon :)

soja(Posted 2003) [#3]
Say, those are pretty good. How did you do them / what tools did you use?

Phil(Posted 2003) [#4]
Thanks for the comments...
What tools did I use?
To quote myself from the Outer Court forum, where the same was asked...
http://outer-court.com/php/comments/index.php?section=design

I use different techniques for different drawings. The smaller ones are usually done in Paint Shop Pro 4, using a Wacom Tablet with Lightpen (as opposed to simply a mouse). For the character portraits I go through magazines for reference.
Any magazine will do, like a movie magazine, with the photo of an actor. (E.g. when I want to draw a warrior I would look for a strong, masculine face, and use it as reference.)

Then, I start to black-and-white sketch using about 8 times the final size. After black-and-white I colorize using different shadings. Then, I resample to the final size, and do whatever minor correction still needed. Starting out with a greater size than the final with later resampling helps increase the level of detail, and thus the quality, of the resulting image. It does not work good for very small images, e.g. 16*16, or for complete body portraits of 32*32. It does work better on e.g. sizes of 128 pixels.

BTW, the newer versions of Paint Shop Pro, or other programs like Corel PhotoPaint or Adobe PhotoShop, don't do the job as good as PSP4. It's very simple and easy to use, and helps for small-scale, precise, and straightforward pixel-painting.

And as for the armors, I got some books from the library of medieval clothing, weapons and armory, and worked from that as reference.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#5]
Whoa, that's good stuff!

FlameDuck(Posted 2003) [#6]
Hrm, that looks uncannily familiar.

Rimmsy(Posted 2003) [#7]
are you trying to tell us that the cave explorer is YOU Flameduck? Because, come to think of it... you did mention a little cave exploring a while back... I thought nothing of it until today. *YOU* are the cave explorer with curious lop sided head and the purple mini-sword of Crondaar. double A actually.

matt

Xzider(Posted 2005) [#8]
Looks good.

jhocking(Posted 2005) [#9]
That's some really great pixel art! I don't like the last image though. Nice drawing, but it's all blurry and messy.

agent4125(Posted 2005) [#10]
Nice work. And thanks for sharing your technique.

SopiSoft(Posted 2005) [#11]
looks very good! :-D

Panno(Posted 2005) [#12]
cool style !!

hmmm amiga ..........

aab(Posted 2005) [#13]
Very Nice. Especially the Arthur characters!