Robot Arena

Community Forums/Showcase/Robot Arena

Phil(Posted 2003) [#1]
Warning, this is not a game screenshot, though I always sort of wanted to make a game from this:

It's actually 4 stills from a movie I created in LightWave3D way back.

You can also see the SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) version of the robot model:

http://www.outer-court.com/design/svg/arena.html

(But you need the Adobe SVG Plug-In.)

For my other 3D stuff please see:

3D Design [Outer Court]
http://www.outer-court.com/design/3d.htm

Philipp

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#2]
Go on then, make the game...

Synchronist(Posted 2003) [#3]
Very nice stills. Go for the GAME! Anything is possible if you set your mind to it and approach it one step at a time.
I don't see anything in your stills that couldn't be accomplished in B3D!

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#4]
Yeah go on - dare ya :)

Synchronist(Posted 2003) [#5]
Gee Phil, some of your 2D stuff translated to 3D would be very cool...

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#6]
Here are some titles suggestions...

Roboseum or (robot coliseum)

or

Robotor (robot gladiator)

Yeah, don't let those models go to waste... wrap a mech type game around em :)

--Mike

Phil(Posted 2003) [#7]
Hmm, I would figure "Robot Arena" would be the name!

I'd love to see a game where you can build up your robots and somehow make them fight, maybe in management mode where you just WATCH your rob fight, or in action mode, where you do the moves yourself.

I suppose there are games like this already.

Well, I don't think my coding skills are enough to do all that, not in a reasonable amount of time (which I don't have much at the moment anyway I'm afraid).

Excuses excuses heheh
I did try a battling game once and somehow never finished, but that was in (gasp) QuickBasic...

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#8]
I heard something about a really technical one... where you had to design the robot's AI responses and stuff, and then you'd set them onto other robots in an on-line arena... nice idea I thought. And you wouldn't have to worry about lag (since there is no player input at the fight stage)

Sorry I have no idea what it was called.

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#9]
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds screenshots:

http://actionvault.ign.com/features/media/omfbgscreens.shtml

Original 2D-OMF was kind of fun, I played it a lot. But that was years and years ago.

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#10]
Bugger doing a fighting game with nice models like that, there is massive scope to do any game you like with those. You could anything from tomb raider/max payne 3rd person shooter to grim fandango 3rd person adventure.

It's a shame to see great models and modellers do mind meltingly dull games.

If you do a fighting game it's got to be better than every other fight game on the market, that's a pretty tall order for any blitzer. So you've got to make something different that gives it the edge over the multi-million dollar mainstream stuff.

Given that you have clear modelling skills you could build a world much in the same league as 'The nomad soul' and have an adventure round that... dunno just thoughts, but please don't waste these models on a boring game!