Just so yall know.

Community Forums/Showcase/Just so yall know.

poopla(Posted 2003) [#1]
I stronglly oppose a split screen mode. It's ugly. If people wanna play head to head they will use a LAN, and of discussion. (so much for democracy eh?) :P

Techlord(Posted 2003) [#2]
I strongly oppose the opposition. If its good enough for Bungie's HALO (perhaps one of the greatest First Person Shooters ever) its good enough for PPFPS. We should at least make provisions for such a camera mode.

TL

poopla(Posted 2003) [#3]
Ill look into it, will be easier once we can define controls for the player updates.

Come on MSN.

MarkT(Posted 2003) [#4]
HALO is a console game, Split screen wont be in the comp version guarenteed, dev is right a split screen mode has no use in modern gaming

poopla(Posted 2003) [#5]
Thx for the backing Neo_x, I hadnt brought up the massive differences between console and computer gaming. Tech, hear that? Two players on one computer REALLY SUCKS ;).

Despite the fact I oppose it, the support for it has been built into my current use of the plasma engine, once we get at generalising this code, I will build it into that as well.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2003) [#6]
Split screen should indeed be a part of the engine, as it is useful for more than simply two player games. That said, however, FPS gaming in split screen, quite simply put, does not work without two mice. Which Blitz doesn't support nor do the majority of gamers have.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#7]
If it can be done easily, then do it.

poopla(Posted 2003) [#8]
It was done, but I still oppose split screen in computer games :P.

Curtastic(Posted 2003) [#9]
I hardly know anyone who has two computers that are connected.
most computer gamers have a computer joystick.
I dont know about you but I have personal friends where we have had fun playing games on the same screen, just like so many popular games support. it doesnt matter if it is a console game or computer game, if you have two players and a joystick.
we can have fun on lan at a computer lab, ONLY with the few games those computers owner have put on them.

*(Posted 2003) [#10]
I wouldnt recommend split screen mode, if you think of it Blitz would have to do two or more renderes (one for each camera) and that would kill any FPS rating.

Karbon(Posted 2003) [#11]
That and I'm in agreement with the others - I've never seen a split screen PC game.

I can't think of a single PC FPS that offers this (which doesn't mean anything really)..

Looking forward to something to play!

ragtag(Posted 2003) [#12]
There was a quad screen FPS shooter on the Mac (cooperative and free or shareware). It was kind of crazy to play, with four more or less grown men using the same little keyboard at the same time :-)

Most FPS these days use the mouse to aim, and I don't know anyone who has two mice connected to his computer.

Ragnar

_PJ_(Posted 2003) [#13]
Just my 2 pennies worth:

I hate split-screen games these days. Before computers could be linked together for multiplayers - fair enough, it was all we had. Now, it is an outmoded and annoying concept. 007 Nightfire on PS2 is a prime example of how a screen split four ways results in a window so hard to see on the average (16 inch or so) monitor, that it just strains the eyes and is not fully enjoyable.

I appreciate that so far, Project Plasma has done its utmost to ensure catering for as much diversity as possible within the FPS bracket, and can see how a split-screen multiplayer would be advantageous to players who lack LAN/'internet capabilities, but even that, these days is becoming scarcer and scarcer.

poopla(Posted 2003) [#14]
Were just trying to satisfy the masses, thanks for your input all.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#15]
How about 32 player split screen action - the fighting for the keyboard would be more fun than the game !

poopla(Posted 2003) [#16]
Lol, and no. :)

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2003) [#17]
Splitscreens are endured on consoles because they have to be, with the PC you have the option of LAN or Internet head to head gaming this should be the only option IMHO. Split screen mode on a PC game is the same as equiping fish with skatepads and cycle helmets.

Darkheart